LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 67 Old 12-03-2016, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 35
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 35
HSS928 Clogging [Solved?]

I have an HSS928ATCD blower that was purchased in January 2016. It replaced a 20 year-old HS828.

We had a snow/rain weather event this week and I was dismayed when the machine clogged three times during the job. More time was spent digging packed snow out of the chute than doing the actual job.

I should note that during the twenty years of ownership of my old HS828, the chute never clogged once. If it began to clog, the best solution was to keep feeding it snow and it would clear by itself. Not the case on the HSS.

When the job was finished and the machine returned to the garage, I was pissed. After laying almost five grand for the new HSS, I was experiencing anger and buyer’s remorse and wondered if the purchaser of my HS would sell it back to me.

The only appreciable difference between the two machines is an added collar at the bottom of the HSS chute. That seemed to be where the clog was occurring. Plus, the collar makes it difficult to extract clogged snow.

When you look at the profile of the chute, it seems like the top area of the collar restricts the path of the snow. Not a problem with dry snow, but a real problem with wet snow. My old HS could literally blow standing water and slush.

I embarked on a project to remove it entirely.

The chute was removed and I cut the collar welds with an angle grinder fitted with a cutoff wheel. It it was little effort to cut the welds.

Here is a picture of the collar after removal.

The chute was re-assembled to the blower and tested. I headed to the front of our lot to tackle the snowbank left from the municipal plow. It was quite wet and heavy as the temperature has not fallen below freezing since the snow event.

The blower worked like a charm. It never clogged at any engine RPM or feed rate. Blowing a previously-blown pile of snow didn't clog, either. I could feed the snow to the point where the governor could not keep up and the engine stalled - and no clogging.

There is a little snow "spray" with the absence of the collar. If I was doing it again (and I may), I would cut the collar to leave a bit at the bottom and the sides, especially where the chute has the relief cut near the bottom.

I'll keep everyone posted as I continue to use it for the balance of the season.

Jeff

SnowG, matto, CalgaryPT and 2 others like this.
Post Thanks / Like - 5 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks YSHSfan, SnowG, Gator9329, Tomatillo, vasttracts thanked for this post
Likes YSHSfan, Tomatillo, vasttracts liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 Old 12-03-2016, 11:54 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 8
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 15
Wow, interesting. And impressive
post #3 of 67 Old 12-03-2016, 12:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 90
Thanks (Received): 223
Likes (Given): 291
Likes (Received): 330
Nice.......!
If this is the clogging complaint solution it would be an "easy fix" (IMHO) for Honda to just modify the chute base design to have an opening on the front area or to make the "collar" area of the base of the chute straight instead of tapered.
post #4 of 67 Old 12-03-2016, 12:31 PM

Post Thanks / Like
This also clarifies that the HSS928 is NOT under-powered but the chute design is possibly the culprit of the complaints happening with the "perfect" wet/heavy/slushy snow conditions.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Svenster thanked for this post
post #5 of 67 Old 12-03-2016, 05:43 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 29
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 10
Likes (Received): 7
This would be a great solution. I wonder if I could just plasma cut the collar down a bit at a time until I find the best height.
I like the idea of having some of the collar there so it helps keep the slush spray off the machine.
post #6 of 67 Old 12-03-2016, 05:56 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator9329 View Post
This would be a great solution. I wonder if I could just plasma cut the collar down a bit at a time until I find the best height.
I like the idea of having some of the collar there so it helps keep the slush spray off the machine.
I've seen larger machines that have a tall collar at the base but it seems to be straight pipe rather than conical or "funneled".
If it was me what I would do is remove the chute and disassemble it, cut off the "collar" part, reverse it (upside down) and weld it back on so that the "funnel" action would be away from the impeller exit and it should never clog off, but you also wont have the spill on the belts cover. Try it that way, if everything is fine, get it powder coated and it should last a long time.
post #7 of 67 Old 12-03-2016, 06:05 PM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 29
Thanks (Received): 108
Likes (Given): 175
Likes (Received): 337
Garage
very interesting, would like to know if storing the machine in an unheated shed etc, causes any issues after the mod.

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 67 Old 12-03-2016, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 35
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsblowersfan View Post
If it was me what I would do is remove the chute and disassemble it, cut off the "collar" part, reverse it (upside down) and weld it back on so that the "funnel" action would be away from the impeller exit and it should never clog off, but you also wont have the spill on the belts cover. Try it that way, if everything is fine, get it powder coated and it should last a long time.
I think the perfect scenario would be to have the top of the collar tilted out so that it was parallel to the back of the chute to avoid restriction, but I think it would interfere with the 'motor cover' as Honda calls it. Makes me think that the collar was an addition late in the design cycle and they didn't want to redesign the motor cover.

The previous-generation Canadian electric chute models (they were called HSS, too) had no collar. You can see one here:

I will be leaving my chute wide open for the meantime and hope for similar conditions to what we had last Thursday.

Jeff
post #9 of 67 Old 12-03-2016, 07:34 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffNB View Post
I think the perfect scenario would be to have the top of the collar tilted out so that it was parallel to the back of the chute to avoid restrictionJeff
That's kind of what I tried to suggest, to have the upper part of the collar open more then its base, but I did not realize that the belts cover may need modification.

Please keep us posted as it would be really good to be sure that it is the fix for the clogging issue.

It's a bit odd though that it only happens on HSS928 while HSS724 and HSS1332 (except the models with dual articulated chute) models have the exact same chute design and I've only seen one complain on an HSS724 (less powerful then the HSS928). But I think the HSS724 has a smaller impeller compared to the larger models.
Kjf71 likes this.
post #10 of 67 Old 12-06-2016, 08:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Interesting. I bought my HSS928AWD last December, 2015, and was completely disappointed! I am always having to unclog the snow chute multiple times during each use. Ironically, my neighbors, who paid 3 times less for their snowblowers, never experience the clogging that I do. It's kinda of embarrassing, especially where they know I paid x3 more than they did. It's the neighborhood joke. I had come to the conclusion that the chute hole (yes I said that) was too small. Honda's efforts on their snowblowers (at the present time) are a swing and miss. Too bad the end user has become their Ginny Pig testers for their flawed designs. Now I am stuck with a useless machine. Unless the snow conditions are perfect, there is no use in using the snowblower.

BTW- Problem with your mod: there goes your 3 year warranty. But hey, if it gets the machine to work, then I guess there is no other option.

Last edited by (-Superman-); 12-06-2016 at 08:34 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks georgewny thanked for this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page