Snowblower Forum banner

Ground speed

36K views 112 replies 23 participants last post by  Stephen0523 
#1 ·
Seems rather slow.
I have a 2015 Honda HSS1332ACTD SNOWBLOWER.
I love it and it throws very far.
Just yesterday I noticed it had what seemed to me slower than normal ground speed.
I phoned the dealer and they told me to bring it in as it only has about 16 hours on it.

Has anyone else experienced this, and if so is there a quick fix or adjustment?

Thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I've noticed this too if I'm forwarding and reversing in short succession, which I have to do in one particular section of my driveway. It returns to normal after running in forward only for a while, maybe 5 minutes. The dealer ran through an air purging process on the transmission fluid and it's better, but still there. I fear that it may be a "feature" of this new transmission. Mine runs at about half the normal speed in both forward and reverse when it's misbehaving. 100% repeatable too.

#5 ·
Does the system generate heat? I would pick a few surfaces of the system components and check with my hand for the good running temperature and then check the surfaces when misbehaving. Steam or melting snow spray from the unit might also be used as an indicator.

#6 ·
I have also found this with my HSS1332ATD since much forward and reversing is part of my clean up. It's not horrible, but noticeable as my old 828 has almost 20 years on it and never missed a beat under VERY heavy use. Checking the fluid for air mixing is not an easy task.... and It is entirely feasable that air us being drawn into the system since housing has some in it. The old hydro trans had the seperate high mounted reservoir.... Will look further into this.

#13 ·
I have also found this with my HSS1332ATD since much forward and reversing is part of my clean up. It's not horrible, but noticeable as my old 828 has almost 20 years on it and never missed a beat under VERY heavy use.... Will look further into this.
I have the same combination of 1332 and 828. I too am getting periodic slow downs with the 1332. I'm starting to keep a log of times.

So far I'm getting a range of 5m:45s to 9m:20s to go 900' (450' driveway, one pass down and back) with the augers running, full forward speed, after clearing the driveway, so no snow in the way.

The HS828TAS does the same length at 4m:11s pretty consistently.

Reactions: wdb
#7 ·
Could it be the lack of HST reservoir? I know that the HSS hydros are sealed but the HS ones are not. While using the HS the HST fluid level goes up as the machine warms up. I dont know fluid dynamics but I bet it has something to do with the slower speeds once the machine warms up. Does the HSS HST have vent hole/s?

Another option can be to try different HST fluid, one that retains its properties better with hotter working temperatures.

#8 ·
Thanks everyone for the positive feedback! I just stopped in at the dealer in hour ago and have an appointment for Monday morning.
He said they have seen some with low fluid and yes they have to take the top of the engine off but after they upped the fluid, they run great.
I'm going out shortly to blow some snow around back and I will check for heat around the transmission casing if I have any issues.
I think it would be a great idea for someone with some machining skills to find a way to drill a hole and modify the transmission to be able to add fluid (not that Honda should have provided some form of easy inspection like a clear window.)
They gave us a nice fuel gauge on the fuel tank however!
So a way to check the transmission fluid and add fluid if needed and heated grips would be my only two requests to Honda for this incredible machine!

#11 ·
Speed..

I do have the same blower as yours.... noticed last year that the speed of that machine was not normal... it is not constant... With 4 feets of snow.. i do understand that you dont need much speed... but with 4 inch of snow, i use my old MTD snowblower (15year of age) to do the job... why ? because i dont have 3 hrs to clean the driveway... I will bring them the blower back this winter when time permit.
Please let us know how it ended up for you and good luck

#9 ·
Since your dealer has encountered and corrected low fluid levels, that suggests we do have a problem with air mixing.

The HSS has a breather up top.

Hydro Gear builds the transmission, it is their SST model. I do not know what Honda specs for it, but Hydro Gear specs 5W30 engine oil.

#14 ·
Hope this is not a design flaw with the new transmission... a friend of mine just got his HSS1332 back from the dealer. They changed the transmission. Same problem. Either it is very complicated to install and the Honda tech didn't do a good job, or those tranny are all defective.

#16 ·
"...it will be interesting to see others perhaps do similar tests and post results."

I'd like to see some others time theirs so I have something to go by instead of just telling my dealer it's slower. I've called twice and two different techs tried to downplay it.

"I'm not sure if I want to try.. sort of like avoiding the doctor because you can't face reality" - I don't blame you. I think you'll know if it really slows down, hopefully yours won't.

#18 ·
Hello and Happy Holidays!
I got my Blower back a few days ago and it is faster.
First thing I did was try to find an iPhone app to measure ground speed, but they are not accurate at slower speeds.
I am going to set a distance of 20 or 30 feet and use the iPhone stop watch to calculate the time to cover that distance and keep a log.

The dealer said the forward / reverse cable was out of adjustment which is why it was slow.
I am still concerned as the oil level has not been checked yet.
I told the Dealer I will be coming back if it slows down again.
If the problem continues, I will contact Honda and insist the issue be resolved, via a new Trans or service!

Attachments

#20 ·
For the newer people here on the forum, Honda addressed similar symptoms back in late 2015 with a TSB for transmission replacements on some HSS928AT serial number ranges (not sure about HSS1332s).

That was for reduced transport speeds but I blow snow and reverse at full/transport speed all the time as I'm sure most others do. Based on that history, I'm hoping that they're jump on this soon, although I doubt it's going to be a simple/inexpensive fix for them.

#21 ·
Bumping this thread to see if the speed problems have been resolved for those who brought their machines in for service.

I'm still seeing my speeds dropping off significantly, even after the transmission air purge was done. It's especially noticeable in reverse.

Thanks!

#23 ·
IMO it is a disgrace ... my old MTD can make a run all around my Honda running full speed forward... the speed when wrong simply slow down almost half of what it is running when normal. I have my security camera around the house that can show what I mean. Will make it play on my display and film with my iphone... will put it on youtube for you to see.
Honest, I have a full time job, and when I have to blow on week days (in the morning) I use my old MTD because I don't have 3 hours to blow my driveway.
Youtube to follow.

#31 ·
thanks for the YouTube post, and be careful at the end of the driveway!

Hey Grabber,
thanks for posting the YouTube vids, impressive machine! and see what you mean about the speed, or lack there of.

Also, that's one busy street you live on, gotta be scary clearing the end of the driveway with all those cars coming at ya... kinda reminded me of an old game from the '80's called "frogger".

I really hope Honda gets the transmission issue figured out, plus all the clogging issues I've read about on the HSS928. Am curious on how these issues may get resolved.

#27 · (Edited)
here you can see me pushing the blower forward when transmission engaged backward... trying to bleed... lol

I do hope Honda works to find the problem with their transmission, because besides this, this is a great blower. I will bring it to Honda eventually. I think they need more time to put the finger on the problem.

Later.

#30 · (Edited)
So I have an update, I haven't recovered my HSS928 back yet but I received a call from Honda Power Equipment of America. The lady was asking me to detail the condition I'm experiencing and retracing the use the machine has seen.

She asked me if I had any other concerns I may have, so I detailed "clog-gate." Personally I have not be terribly effected by this but I made mention of the snowblower forum i belong to. I explained the members who are very upset and the bad publicity Honda is getting and that people who visit this forum for its resource of knowledge are being dissuaded from an HSS purchase.

Gotta see what comes of this.

I think it's worth mentioning that the Honda rep took my issue very seriously and was happy to hear that my dealer didn't simply give it back after making an "adjustment". It's because of my dealers diligence that Honda called me.

Props to Hanover Power Sports in New Jersey.

#34 · (Edited)
I thought is was that one but was not positive. Thank you

The Ariens uses the RT-310 unit. I don't know the differences, perhaps this is a smaller unit for wheeled blowers? I don't know.
I sure hope Hydro-Gear makes good transmissions as I just dropped a short ton of money for my blower!

edit to add: The Honda unit is bigger I think with 2 output shafts and the axles are 3/4 in diameter compared to 1 5/8 shaft. They are totally different transmissions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.