Snowblower Forum banner

Honda 2016+ HSS models clogging: list of forum members with complaints

146K views 548 replies 97 participants last post by  SkunkyLawnmowers 
#1 · (Edited)
A number of folks are complaining about the 2016+ Honda HSS-series snowblowers clogging. Honda is claiming there are
no issues
and if there were they would know about it.
Robert@Honda said:
While any snow blower can clog up under 'perfect storm' conditions, I can tell you there are no known 'flawed designs' or known 'clogging' issues with the HSS929

This thread is to collect the names of SBF members who own a 2016 or later HSS model blower who are having clogging issues. We'll see if it continues to grow. If I've missed anyone, just reply to this thread and I will edit the first post to add them to the list. If possible, compare to other blowers to refute the "any snow blower can clog up under 'perfect storm' conditions" argument.

1. vinnyNH (928) http://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum/865305-post1.html
After about 10 minutes of using the Honda, I gave up. The chute kept clogging up. I have to keep clearing the chute. I am going slow and still it is clogging. I finally parked the Honda and used my 15 years old Ariens 1028. Did not clog once.
2. obthedog (928)http://www.snowblowerforum.com/foru...1697-hss928-first-year-review.html#post990889
I never had my old machine clog even in wet heavy snow - never ever - This machine gets clogged up in the chute - I was so frustrated with cogging during this last 5 inch snow storm that I shoveled rather than having to unclog for 4th time. Even my old 724 never clogged like this.
3. Bob_s (928)http://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum/826194-post3.html
My new 928 also had some power issues but by far my biggest problem was the shoot getting clogged up.
4. Chalky45 (928)http://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum/990889-post3.html
Your not the only one unhappy with the 2016 Hondas, 5 of my neighbours have the 724s, and the other 2 have the 928s, they are exactly what you described, boggy under load, sometimes cut out,
5. johnd (1332)http://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum/992081-post28.html
Having the same clogging issue with my brand new HSS 1332. I had the 2013 model 1332 and sold it just to get the new features on the 2016 model. [...] It ran in all conditions and NEVER EVER had it clog. I could shoot watery slushy snow 20 feet with that machine. The new HSS 1332 has consistently clogged 3 of the 5 times I used it.
6. cprstn54 (1332)http://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum/honda-snowblowers/103002-hss1332atd-choking-slushy-snow.html
The conical base of the chute seems to compact the wet stuff into a dense mass the impeller cannot eject. I spent 90% of the time clearing the chute and only 10% clearing my driveway. Meanwhile, my wife with an Ariens Compact 24 had no problems at all.
7. SnowG (928)http://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum/honda-snowblowers/100538-hss928-clogging-[solved-].html Modified chute to fix problem
We had a snow/rain weather event this week and I was dismayed when the machine clogged three times during the job. More time was spent digging packed snow out of the chute than doing the actual job.
I should note that during the twenty years of ownership of my old HS828, the chute never clogged once.
8. SB83 (928) http://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum/honda-snowblowers/104482-more-hss928-chute-observations.html Video of blower pushing bricks
With the long deflector and a tightening angle that further compresses thh snow, it just cant get any snow by to start freeing up the clog
9. Marlow (1332)http://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum/1125794-post22.html
I've emailed a formal complaint to Honda Canada regarding chute clogging.
10. (-Superman-) (928)http://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum/1085290-post10.html
Interesting. I bought my HSS928AWD last December, 2015, and was completely disappointed! I am always having to unclog the snow chute multiple times during each use. Ironically, my neighbors, who paid 3 times less for their snowblowers, never experience the clogging that I do. It's kinda of embarrassing, especially where they know I paid x3 more than they did. It's the neighborhood joke.
11. joehardware (928) link
I bought my HSS928 new this fall. I've since used it 6 times, and it has clogged during 3 of these times. Always seems to be with wet/slushy snow.
12. tonysak (1332) link
I have a low power/clogging issue with the HSS1332 vs the HS.
13. Gator9329 (928) link
Same here on my HSS928 bought last November. It clogs with snow and makes concrete in the chute.
I have been running my old craftsman instead and it's moving the same snow the honda wont.
14. boathik (1332) Link WITH PICTURE
You can add my HSS1332ATD to the clogged list. It was 3-4" accumulation, and happened at the EOD twice. There wasn't even much slush that caused the problem.
15. jbdesigns (928) link
I can be added to the list. [...] there is an inherent problem with the machine with wet snow
16. BostonMA (1332)link
Clog up almost every single storm, especially wet, on the other hand, my neighbor just bought a cheap Ariens snow blower, I felt so ashamed, he had to help me out to clear my driveway.
17. jdavis (1332) link
Thanks HSS1332ATD! CLOGGING
I literally just wasted way too much time trying to clear a wet/heavy snowed in driveway, some it threw OK but kept clogging leading me to eventually say f8ck it, you can add me to the list if we're keeping track..

See less See more
#3 ·
Every single person that has the issue should call or email Honda Corp. If my 1/3rd price Toro can go 6 years without clogging once, then there is absolutely no excuses as to why my HSS1332 Honda should have had clogging issues 3 of the 6 times I've used it - in the same environment! No excuses. Either fix it or give me my money back, I don't have the patience to be spending more time unclogging the chute than clearing the driveway on a $5400 machine. It's ridiculous.

#7 ·
Yes, it is a common occurrence with cheaper two stage machines. But it never happened once with my $1500 Toro, and when you charge the price Honda does - it shouldn't happen. Honda's should be held to an elevated standard considering they are the highest price in their class.

Yamaha has a resin lined chute and impeller housing to reduce snow sticking/building up.
Toro uses what they call and anti clogging system and the material they use for their chute reduces snow sticking/building up - and I can tell you first hand it works!

Honda should be lining the chute with resin like Yamaha does, and they also need to get rid of that bottleneck at the bottom of the chute, which some members on here have been cutting off.

#10 ·
Same here on my HSS928 bought last November. It clogs with snow and makes concrete in the chute.
I have been running my old craftsman instead and it's moving the same snow the honda wont. It doesn't have tracks of fancy electric controls, but it's my favorite this winter.

#13 ·
A decent idea as long as they have someone monitoring reviews on their website. You'd think that they would but they don't actually get many reviews on there.

Also, I've been looking to purchase a snow blower and was set on Honda until I started reading about people having issues with clogging. I may have to go with another manufacturer now.

#14 ·
Does anyone have any pics of this mod on the chute? I'd be curious to see who has attempted this and their success (although its hard to imagine cutting apart a 1 year old machine).

So far my HSS724 has not clogged. That said, I've only used it in moderately wet snow.

#15 ·
Does anyone have any pics of this mod on the chute? I'd be curious to see who has attempted this and their success (although its hard to imagine cutting apart a 1 year old machine).
I am the one that did the mod. Here is the thread:

http://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum/honda-snowblowers/100538-hss928-clogging-%5Bsolved-%5D.html

I had no problem cutting apart my machine. I purchased a second chute which I will use for future R&D.

I sent a snail mail letter to Honda last week. It will be interesting to see their response.

#16 ·
Perfect - I'm going to watch this closely for any update from you over the season. I'll look at doing the mod too based on your results throughout the season.

Great description and pics from the mod. Thanks a million.

#19 · (Edited)
I can be added to the list. HSS928. I haven't had any real clogs since the first one I got on day one with the machine. but I do see the tendency for it to want to. One area I see as a problem is the the chute deflector. It really is too abrupt of a change in direction at the top of the chute. Wet snow hits this plate and if not pointed up, it bounces the slush back down impacting fresh slush coming up the shut. This then wants to stop the flow and imo, gets a clog to start.

Try blowing slush with the deflector straight up and go fast into the slushy stuff. Give the slush the least resistance to get up and out of the chute. And slow down backs up and gets a clog formed.

However, there is an inherent problem with the machine with wet snow. I think the impeller mod will help by giving more speed to the discharge. I also think trimming down the chute sleeve/cone thing about half way down will help. And if I could, I'd redesign the top chute deflector as a curve instead of flat to help redirect the snow with less drag and impact. I'd make it longer as well to allow more gradual change in direction of the snow which reduces resistance.

Otherwise I really love this machine. The traction is outstanding and it just works well for my normal snow. I love the speed control handle as I can go forward and back up with ease driving with my left hand and controlling speed with my right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#20 ·
I've yet to read or hear a peep about clogging on the 724 (smaller engine!) or 1332 model.
Here's your peep, robert@honda

Also sounds like your post acknowledges known clogging complaints about the HSS928 as early as November 2016, before many areas even see heavy snow. Is there a fix in the works, or is Honda still in denial mode?

#29 ·
You can add my new HSS724ATD to the list ... took it off my truck once I got home hit some wet snow (not slush) and it clogged... today we had rain and snow ... clogged every time I went to low into the slush. I am running full throttle with silicone spray every use and its still clogging, looks to be a combination of how the chute reduces in size and the speed the slush is hitting it.

#22 · (Edited)
Today in Calgary I took my HSS724CT out in the backyard as we are mid-Chinook (or "DiCaprio" as we sarcastically call it now) and we have no driveway/sidewalk snow. No clogging. Granted, it is not the bad slush I have seen the vids and pics depicting the 928s with, but it is wet stuff to some extent. Our real test here will come in March and April when we typically get the wet stuff.

Not sure of any design differences with the 724s, but will post my results.

#24 ·
Good news, if you've purchased yours, or even if you're going to and you experience the problem, a member here may be willing to sell you a modified chute, expertly welded. The mod works great for him.

$125 will probably be the price, and well worth it if you want to clear slush and are having problems.

PM drmerdp and talk to him about it. I suggested to him a very strong disclaimer and absolutely all sales final, no warranty and NO RETURNS. It is what it is, but you can see he has amazing skills.

Did you get your machine yet? How does it work?

Haven't had a chance to use mine yet.

JDavis sounds like he threw in the towel on his HSS1332ATD and can be added to the list:

http://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum/honda-snowblowers/107937-thanks-hss1332atd-clogging.html

#27 ·
I admire and encourage anyone who takes it upon themselves to fix the factory engineer's mistakes as I have done all my life on snowblowers, lawn and garden equipment and motorcycles. Sometimes "Mrs 524SWE" has told me I was nuts for tearing apart and modifying a brand new piece of equipment or vehicle. Be that as it may be, like Frank Sinatra said, "I did it my way."
On the other hand think of the badmouthing these companies get when someone who doesn't have any mechanical ability spends thousands of $$$ and expects their purchase to work right out of the box. When the dealer or corporate headquarters denies there is a problem it only makes matters worse.
Personally I think Honda makes a great product whether it's a car, a bike or a snowblower but to bury their head in the sand is just plain bad customer service. Hopefully cooler and wiser heads will prevail and they will correct these design flaws. I realize it would be expensive to replace everybody's chute but the PR would be priceless.

#33 ·
...I realize it would be expensive to replace everybody's chute but the PR would be priceless.
I totally agree, this is how it should be done: in February 1990, French‐based Perrier voluntarily recalled 70 million bottles of water products after detecting abnormal traces of benzene. In addition to management problems associated with regulators, a scrutinising press and the consuming public, this industrial crisis led to at least $40 million in lost sales.(EmeraldInsight)

I was recently looking at purchasing a new HSS928 and purchased a used one(less one S). If I decide in the future to purchase a new Honda SB; I will not only be looking: if the problem was fixed but also how the problem was resolved for the current owners.

#30 ·
Hi,

After saving for years I passed on/sold my two old Ariens and bought new type Hondas, a late 2015 HSS928 track as well as a 2016 HSS724 wheeled model.

My HSS928 clogs, but only with the wettest of snow and when going slow. When it does clog is passes icy bricks and requires some manual effort to clear. It does have plenty of power to clear all other snow. It is very easy to use and requires little manual effort. My neighbor has a newish older style Honda hss928 and we both share a lane way which we clear together. His will clear stuff that mine clogs with! If this clogging issue was fixed this would be a fantastic snow blower.

The wheeled hss724 is very slow in reverse! I have not yet had a chance to use this Honda to clear snow.

#38 ·
As I've stated multiple times before, Honda's QIC engineers spend each day analyzing reports, warranty claims, etc., including reports from online customers. With enough data to 'move the needle,' they'll determine specifics, including any countermeasure recommendations. Honda has a solid track record of this; if/when a genuine and significant problem is discovered, you'll see a fix come out.

#35 ·
Quick update.

I got to use the 2016 HSS724 wheeled snow blower last night. This was the first time I used it to clear snow. It was cold and the snow was light and "dry". As would be expected of a Honda it cleared this snow like it was not even there. It is very maneuverable, easy to use and requires little manual effort if you let the machine do the work and moving, you just stick to walking along and using the controls.

I used this snow blower for over an hour. When I first took it out of the shed I just tried five or six little cuts to get used to the controls and how it operated and turned. At first go it was very slow in reverse, but fine in forward speeds. In forward its fastest speed moves it along faster than my HSS928 tracked can go. This fastest forward speed approximates a fast walking pace for most people.

After the first three or four times backing up a few feet it got even slower until the fifth time backing up it would not move under its own power in reverse. I stopped it and slowly put it in forward then stopped in neutral, waited a minute or two, and then put it in reverse again and it moved slowly. I did this twice more to ensure it would move itself in reverse. The problem appeared to improve. I would compare what happened at this point to pumping your brakes to get air out of the brake lines after a brake job. After each use it got a little better.

I started to use the snow blower normally and each time I put it in reverse its reverse speed increased a little. Forward speeds stayed fine and consistent start to finish. After a little over half an hour of normal use, and being put into reverse about 7 or 8 more times, it reached what appears to be its normal reverse speeds. Overall reverse speed is now fine and better than average compared to the snow blowers I owned in the past (3 Crapsmans and two Ariens). Reverse speeds were consistent for the last 40 minutes of use and about as fast as my HSS924 tracked model.

#36 · (Edited)
My HSS724 clogs in the wet stuff too. With the money I paid for this I really expected more. My Ariens never clogged to the extent that this thing does. I wish I never bought it. If my wife ever has to use it and experiences the clogging, I'll never hear the end of it. When I told my dealer about my dissatisfaction he said he had not of this issue. Just might sell it in the fall and get a different brand.

#37 ·
I have a HSS 1332 AT as well. I have experienced none of the problems I have read in depth about here on the forums. I live just North of Boston ad got the same storm. Mostly slush towards the evening. My EOD is about 5 cars wide and I went lengthwise down the plow line throwing the slush/water mix about 25 feet into my yard. If I did have those issues my dealer would take the machine back just like he did with my 32 inch Simplicity pro that I had electric chute issues with. That was a good machine but not even close to the quality and throw distance of the Honda. My 1332 is simply awesome.

#39 ·
Add my name to the list. Yesterday in Long Island, NY, we had a mix of snow, sleet and rain. Had a layer of shush underneath the snow. I have a 2016 HSS928 with track drive. It clogged about 7 times within 30 feet. I simply stopped using it and used a shovel to clear the left over slush.

What a POS ! Too expensive to have this issue. Is there a mod or fix ?? Would an impeller kit fix this ?

Very upset with Honda.