Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
HSS-928 sediment cup o-ring

New member here.
Greetings,
I want to drain fuel tank on my brand new machine that was delivered to my home by an Authorized Honda Equipment Dealer in July or August 2016.I ASSUMED that they would have put a fuel additive (Startron) into the small amount of gas that they put into the fuel tank as they delivered it to me and gave a demonstration on how to operate it. After walking it up onto my dollie, I hadn't done anything with it until two weeks ago adding a can of "Tru Fuel" zero ethanol gas to fill it up.
This past Sunday we got 14" snow so I was eager to try it out. After reading the manual. Gas flow valve on, choke on, turn key cranking fast new battery. No start,nothing. Unbelievable! Of course they're closed it's Sunday.
I knew it was fuel related. On page 59 in the manual it says to loosen the drain knob to drain the carburetor. I drained about 10 oz. gas and could see water in it near the bottom. I drained a little more then tightened the knob and thankfully it started and ran fine.
I would feel better completely draining the tank and removing the sediment cup to make sure there's no crud in there. The manual says to replace the sediment cup o-ring. I asked the dealer for a new o-ring. He says I can't buy just the o-ring that I would have to buy the kit including a new cup for over $15.00. Does anyone know if I can purchase just the o-ring?
Thanks.
Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-10-2017, 09:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 11
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 26
If your snowblower is that new, I would just use the same o-ring. It will, most likely NOT leak, But, if it does, then look or the o-ring alone, or spend the $15.

I am 95% sure that it will not leak. They are just trying to sell more parts and being 100% sure. No risk, no reward. Go for it.
post #3 of 13 Old 01-10-2017, 10:02 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 44
Thanks (Received): 34
Likes (Given): 75
Likes (Received): 57
I think you're good to go and if you stay with TruFuel you should not have any other problems. (I have no financial interest in that company, just a satisfied customer).
post #4 of 13 Old 01-10-2017, 11:54 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 21
Likes (Given): 7
Likes (Received): 40
Reuse the o-ring. Your machine is way to new to have a problem. If it leaks its not the o-rings fault.

Honda HSS928atd
MTD Gold 826
MTD 5.5 21"
Toro Powerlite
post #5 of 13 Old 01-11-2017, 02:58 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 29
Rather than use Tru Fuel ($$$$$$$), consider purchasing E0 fuel from a gas station. Looks like a number of options in MA. You might want to add your location to your profile. It can help with specific recommendations such as this.
Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

Last edited by CO Snow; 01-11-2017 at 03:01 AM.
post #6 of 13 Old 01-11-2017, 03:29 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 11
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 22
GMorning Tom, You should be fine re-using that O-Ring, as it sits in a recessed groove in the carb body and is well protected. I would probably use a small amount of vaseline on the flange, to be used as a lubricant. Most manufactures recommend replacing gaskets and O-Rings upon removal. It's safer and may be a liability factor. But it's brand new....I wouldn't sweat that one. GLuck, J
post #7 of 13 Old 01-11-2017, 05:55 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 85
Thanks (Received): 54
Likes (Given): 50
Likes (Received): 256
For a $twenty order yourself this and forget any o-ring troubles for a long while:

☮ Yanmar YSRA1000DX-E ☮
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks georgewny thanked for this post
post #8 of 13 Old 01-11-2017, 07:29 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 44
Thanks (Received): 34
Likes (Given): 75
Likes (Received): 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by CO Snow View Post
Rather than use Tru Fuel ($$$$$$$), consider purchasing E0 fuel from a gas station. Looks like a number of options in MA. You might want to add your location to your profile. It can help with specific recommendations such as this.
Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada
All those options in MA (including Sunoco stations) are selling VP Racing or VP Small engine fuel. Just as pricey as TruFuel. Unfortunately MA (like my state) has legislated a mandate for ethanol at the pumps. %#*^ corn lobby.

I can easily rationalize the cost of the fuel because it avoids problems and my machine works when I need it to. I have a 300' driveway and only use about a quart or two of fuel each time I clear it. Maybe it gets used half a dozen times each year. The machine sits idle most of the time.

Last edited by SnowG; 01-11-2017 at 07:39 AM.
post #9 of 13 Old 01-11-2017, 10:24 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 263
You guys got hammered pretty good up there Tom! Hope you can avoid the corn juice - but if you can't, the True fuel is kinda expensive, but a good option. Next best is to be sure to not let it sit with fuel in it for more than a few months. Stay in the habit of draining it dry and refuel as needed...... the additives they sell for E-fuel are not all they advertise and not worth it IMHO. It's a pain - but what do ya do, but thank the idiots in charge.

I am deathly allergic to shovels!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 13 Old 01-11-2017, 12:22 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 208
Likes (Given): 36
Likes (Received): 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom from mass View Post
He says I can't buy just the o-ring that I would have to buy the kit including a new cup for over $15.00. Does anyone know if I can purchase just the o-ring?
Thanks.
Tom
Yes, it is Honda Part Number 16173-001-004, "Gasket, Fuel Strainer Cup" and sells for $4.80.

Google any part number to find a Honda Dealer selling it online, or use this link to find a Honda Dealer in your area: Find A Honda Dealer

Drop me a PM with your mailing address and I'll get you a few Honda stickers in the mail. Welcome to the Honda Family!

- - -
Robert@Honda
Social Media Consigliere
Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page