HSS928 governor adjustment question and bog under load issue - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 02-13-2017, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
HSS928 governor adjustment question and bog under load issue

Hi all,
I have a new HSS928AWD, my first Honda snowblower. Given that these are considered the Cadillac of blowers I had high expectations...and seriously let down. My problem is that the machine bogs down under what I would consider light loads. I am limited to the bottom 1/4 of the forward speed adjustment at just 5-6" of snow (not packed or slush, not super fluffy...just regular snowfall). It throws snow to the moon, but it seems to hit a limit prematurely and I have to back off. Half bucket height or more and I have to set it to the slowest crawl possible or it will stall out. I have a older, basic box-store MTD which would easily move faster thru this stuff than the Honda.

I have searched thru the forum and saw that the chute on these is a bit of a limiting factor. It doesn't appear to be the major cause in my case, but i suppose it's not helping either.

I started down the troubleshooting list and had a specific question about the governor. How much free rotation should the governor arm shaft have? This is the part which comes out of the engine case. The adjustment procedure involves loosening the governor arm, rotating the shaft counter clockwise as much as it will go, then securing the arm. The shaft only has barely 10* of movement to begin with. I don't believe this is normal - i think it should turn a lot more than that. Anybody confirm what sort of arc the shaft can turn?

Open to other feedback about the bogging, but I suspect governor or carb. Manual also suggests compression, valves, and plug.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-14-2017, 11:47 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 28
Likes (Given): 8
Likes (Received): 64
Do you have access to a tachometer? Maybe an hour meter that also reads RPMs. You should verify that your operating rpm is infact 3500-3600 rpm.

My 928 now with about 8 hours on it has improved power over brand new. As the rings wear into the cylinder, friction drops and compression rises making a bit more power.

But still your machine shouldn't be struggling with 5" at its slowest forward speed. I've gone through 20" of saturated EOD snow, at faster then crawling speed.

Honda HSS1328AATD
MTD Gold 826
Simplicity 520
Toro Powerlite
post #3 of 11 Old 02-15-2017, 01:49 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I put an hour/tach/volt meter on it the first day I got it. Should come w/ one from the factory. Anyway: yes, it's dead nuts at 3650 RPM at no load. I find under normal load it will drop to to 3300-3400 - still sounds healthy here. However, once I start to creep the speed up the RPMs drop like a rock.
post #4 of 11 Old 02-15-2017, 05:35 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 26
Thanks (Received): 16
Likes (Given): 78
Likes (Received): 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeena View Post
Hi all, I have a new HSS928AWD, my first Honda snowblower.
Welcome to the forum, Keeena. Sorry you're having trouble with the new machine.

First, drmerdp gave good advice. Plus, what I would do before much of anything else is watch a few videos about the HSS928 and compare. One in particular is posted below. If your machine isn't behaving like that, then I'd be fast to the dealer who sold it to me while there is snow on the ground for them to experience the problem firsthand.

Another good resource on here is Robert@Honda. He won't tell you how to fix it, of course, but might be able to send additional recommendations your way.

Good luck. Here's the video:

Tom

2016 Honda HSS1332ATD = "Virginia Virgin"
post #5 of 11 Old 02-17-2017, 12:50 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
I have the exact same problem Keena. HSS928 ATD. As soon as I feed the machine into snow a bit too quickly I can almost stall it. sounds like 200 RPM. Please let me know if you find a solution to this problem.
post #6 of 11 Old 02-17-2017, 01:19 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 28
Likes (Given): 8
Likes (Received): 64
Just a thought...Is it possible that the engine is working just fine, and the machine cannot deliver on how fast you think it should be able to go?

The HSS928s are not powerhouses. Especially with the larger impeller compared to the HS generation. You can choke it.

Once the Warrenty is up on my HSS928 I'm going to take a good hard look at installing a gx390. That being said, I'm not upset that my 928 isn't more powerful. But I am a sucker for modifying and improving things.

Some machines will plow a pile infront of the bucket Bog substantially but not stall, My MTD is an example of this. Where as others will bog down until they stall.

Honda HSS1328AATD
MTD Gold 826
Simplicity 520
Toro Powerlite

Last edited by drmerdp; 02-17-2017 at 11:51 PM.
post #7 of 11 Old 02-17-2017, 02:08 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 129
Thanks (Received): 50
Likes (Given): 394
Likes (Received): 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmerdp View Post
...Once the Warrenty is up on my HSS928 I'm going to take a good hard look at installing a gx390.
I can say you will love the extra power. It's the only reason I bought a 1332. After 25 years of an aging on-edge underpowered GX240, it pushed me that way. I knew one extra hp wouldn't cut it for my location.

Honda HS828TAS - 1991
Honda HSS1332ATD - 2015
post #8 of 11 Old 02-28-2017, 03:07 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Keeena,

have you made any progress on this issue by chance? I also have the service manual and was going to start looking over the machine to see if I could figure anything out myself. I just called my dealer that told me that kind of bogging is completely not normal, and I should be able to walk faster than a crawl through 5-6" of snow. I can't without it sounding like 300-500RPM.
post #9 of 11 Old 03-15-2017, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Sorry for letting my thread lag. Did find a problem: the main jet was partially plugged. My machine came w/ gas from the dealer, so I'm not sure if they had it sitting with gas in it for some length of time which might have caused it. In any event, easy fix.

Yesterday's nor'easter was the first snow since cleaning the carb. The snowblower was noticeably better but I was still disappointed with the performance. The snow was ~8" and fairly heavy/sticky. I still had to keep the machine slower than I'd expect given others' reviews and my own experience with cheaper blowers. I could easily get the machine bogging to the point of near stall at maybe 1/3 forward speed? EOD snow (which was only a couple inches higher but packed a bit more) and I was at the slowest possible crawl speed; meaning any slower and I'd be in "neutral".

As before: throwing distance always seems really good (until I get to heavy bogging). The motor just seems to get easily overwhelmed which forces me to run a slower pace than I would expect. Without having another HSS928 user or unit to compare, it's hard to say for sure if this is normal or if there's still a problem. Comparing to blowers 1/4 the price: if this is normal performance I'd be very disappointed with this purchase.

PS - I'd still LOVE to hear from someone who has adjusted the governor

Last edited by keeena; 03-15-2017 at 11:58 AM.
post #10 of 11 Old 03-15-2017, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomatillo View Post
Welcome to the forum, Keeena. Sorry you're having trouble with the new machine.

First, drmerdp gave good advice. Plus, what I would do before much of anything else is watch a few videos about the HSS928 and compare. One in particular is posted below. If your machine isn't behaving like that, then I'd be fast to the dealer who sold it to me while there is snow on the ground for them to experience the problem firsthand.
Thank you very much for the video. My take is that he appears to be moving at what I'd call crawl speed (near neutral) in medium weight snow that is the same height as the bucket.

That is the same pace I have to run at 1/3 to 1/2 bucket height with yesterday's snow. Probably a bit heavier snow than in that video. Trying to inch it any faster and it begins to quickly bog down.

[edit] Another thing I noticed: when he first hits the snow the motor seems to barely change pitch. In my scenario, my RPMs are more noticeably dropped. Not that mine is bogging yet, but sounds more like at the engine speed limit...maybe 3100 RPM*? And when I try a faster FWD speed than this is when the RPMs really take a nose-dive.

*I wish I had more accurate "normal full load" RPM, but the readout often shows erroneous values when I'm operating (jumps to 10k+...I need to re-check windings). When sitting still at full engine speed it accurately shows 3650-3700 RPM. Really bad bogging is ~2200-2400 and lower I believe. Take numbers w/ a grain of road salt...it's hard to operate the blower while hunched over trying to read a tiny RPM meter.

Last edited by keeena; 03-15-2017 at 12:31 PM. Reason: More info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page