HS 928 How long is your auger belt lasting? - Page 2 - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 27 Old 02-16-2017, 11:01 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 8
Trou Bilt 2410 9 years, 2840 3 days so far so good...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 Old 02-16-2017, 12:38 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 33
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 47
My 2009 HS928 is still sporting it's original belt. I check the tension every couple years, but there's no excess play and therefore no adjustment needed.

2009 Honda HS928WAS
2005 Honda HS520AS
1996 Honda HS621AS
2012 Toro 1800 Power-Curve
post #13 of 27 Old 02-16-2017, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 47
Likes (Received): 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangputeh View Post
In my experience I have seen Honda belts last 20 years and more. The tension has to be right .

also make sure it is running in the center of the pulley. I threw a belt a couple times before I learned that lesson.

The machine was over 30 years old and the bushings were all worn out on the pulley assembly . 4 of them. what a job replacing them but now the belts run dead center on the pulleys.

i still haven't figured out how to properly tension an auger belt. i measure the handle to be about 4.5 inches ( i think that is what it is ) when the belt starts to move. that is in the factory manual for an 828.
By running center I'm assuming you mean the idler pulleys. I check that complete last fall ,everything was fine.

Today I hit a bundle of flyers under the snow and broke the impeller shear bolt. I had to remove the augers and impeller to get the bolt out. There seems to be a fair amount of play in the impeller shaft. Possibly need a bearing. That would change the tension on the belt some.

commercial snow blowing
HS 928 - 2008
HSS 928 (2015 Canadian version)
post #14 of 27 Old 02-16-2017, 07:41 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 85
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 38
Likes (Received): 30
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime View Post
By running center I'm assuming you mean the idler pulleys. I check that complete last fall ,everything was fine.

Today I hit a bundle of flyers under the snow and broke the impeller shear bolt. I had to remove the augers and impeller to get the bolt out. There seems to be a fair amount of play in the impeller shaft. Possibly need a bearing. That would change the tension on the belt some.
yes the idler pulleys. did the impeller have play in it before you removed augers? then yes it is the bearing. easy to replace if you have taken the box off before to replace auger belt. anytime I replace that belt i inspect the bearing anyway.

not sure why you are still going thru belts. need to hear from some of the veterans here. those belts are pretty sturdy .

what goes around comes around
post #15 of 27 Old 02-16-2017, 07:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 15
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 32
If everything is aligned, not bent, augers are greased, bearings are good, idler pulley is good and not wobbly or dragging, impeller bearing is good, the auger belt is adjusted correctly, and the belt is the correct width and length, you can't go by the belt # as the length of a belt varies by manufacturer though the belts may have the same #. Then what type of snow are you going through, wet, heavy, depth, town end of driveway piles, are the belts getting wet, all this adds to slippage shortening the life of the belt. The belts could last for years and years.
orangputeh likes this.
post #16 of 27 Old 02-16-2017, 08:03 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 17
since you purchased this machine used and now you've found the impellor shaft bearing worn out it could be the cumulative play in all the bearings involved in the augur belt system are worn enough that it adds up to excessive belt wear. a little here and a little there add up quickly.
orangputeh likes this.
post #17 of 27 Old 02-16-2017, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by 524SWE View Post
since you purchased this machine used and now you've found the impellor shaft bearing worn out it could be the cumulative play in all the bearings involved in the augur belt system are worn enough that it adds up to excessive belt wear. a little here and a little there add up quickly.
Yes makes sense to me. I plan to take the auger / impeller and housing apart for painting this spring . The plan is to check and replace any bearings needed and inspect everything carefully at that time. Perhaps I will find the
problem then.

commercial snow blowing
HS 928 - 2008
post #18 of 27 Old 02-16-2017, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime View Post
Yes makes sense to me. I plan to take the auger / impeller and housing apart for painting this spring . The plan is to check and replace any bearings needed and inspect everything carefully at that time. Perhaps I will find the
problem then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLawrence08648 View Post
If everything is aligned, not bent, augers are greased, bearings are good, idler pulley is good and not wobbly or dragging, impeller bearing is good, the auger belt is adjusted correctly, and the belt is the correct width and length, you can't go by the belt # as the length of a belt varies by manufacturer though the belts may have the same #. Then what type of snow are you going through, wet, heavy, depth, town end of driveway piles, are the belts getting wet, all this adds to slippage shortening the life of the belt. The belts could last for years and years.
Yes. There are a lot of variables to belt life. I admit I do push my blowers hard. I work commercially with them, have impellor kits on them that are snug but can rotate the impeller easily by hand. When blowing I am pushing the blower to the limit it can do without dragging the engine. I deal with alot of snow to rain storms \ slush. All factors that test the belt. I don't expect real long belt life.,but at least a season. The original OEM belt on my hss 928 that I bought new was coming unwrapped at the end of season 1. Also had the same thing with a toro z turn mower. Belt unwrapped season 1. Appears the original belts on equipment may be poor quality or I just had bad luck.

commercial snow blowing
HS 928 - 2008
post #19 of 27 Old 02-16-2017, 09:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 15
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 32
I recently did a post on belts. My favorite belt are PIX blue Kevlar belts.
orangputeh likes this.
post #20 of 27 Old 02-17-2017, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLawrence08648 View Post
I recently did a post on belts. My favorite belt are PIX blue Kevlar belts.
I have used Pix in the past. Never had any problems with them.

commercial snow blowing
HS 928 - 2008
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page