HS 928 How long is your auger belt lasting? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 02-15-2017, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 51
Likes (Received): 16
HS 928 How long is your auger belt lasting?

I purchased a used HS 928 last fall. It was in great shape had not seen alot of use. Went over the machine complete. Put both belts new at that time. I put an hour meter on so I know how long parts last. Last week we had a really heavy snow 12 in with rain. very heavy stuff. Did about 10 driveways. Blower handled it fairly good with small cuts. All things considered definitely hard on the blower. Before the day was done my auger belt was slipping and would no longer pump snow at all. Actually it just stopped blowing mid cut no sign of slippage. I dont understand it unless I got a splash of water on the belt to start the slip. I took it to the shop for repair still wouldnt pump. Fired on a new belt were all good again. The belt did not look bad, no cracks ,breaks or burns and no smelling rubber at any point, and had run only 21 hours total. Would this be normal under this type snow? Ive never had one just suddenly quit, usually I see a weak spot etc. during maintenance and just change it out just to prevent a problem. What kind of belt life do you get?

commercial snow blowing
HS 928 - 2008
HSS 928 (2015 Canadian version)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 02-15-2017, 06:43 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 9
OEM belts? It probably just needed a tensioner adjustment and all would have been well for the remaining life of the belt.

2015 Simplicity P1728e 420cc modified for 21.00TP
1963 Snowbird S263
1962 Snowbird S225
post #3 of 27 Old 02-15-2017, 07:29 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 46
Likes (Received): 42
OEM belt? If not that's more than likely you're problem. If not check the arms the idlers are on, see of the plastic bushings they pivot on are worn.
post #4 of 27 Old 02-15-2017, 07:41 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 25
Likes (Given): 81
Likes (Received): 36
I just replaced a belt in my buddies 25 year old machine, it's a 828 and it was the original part.

HS 928 TCD. It's Canadian eh! (Sure I'm done modifying it, for now, until next time.......)
post #5 of 27 Old 02-15-2017, 07:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 28
Likes (Given): 8
Likes (Received): 64
I agree that adjusting the belt tension might have been all that was needed.

It's totally possible for an aftermarket belt to have been manufactured just slightly longer then an oem and now it's not being tensioned properly.

It's also possible for any belt to stretch a bit in it life time.

Typically with the Kevlar coated belts the coating will be torn or super smooth when it's time for replacement.
post #6 of 27 Old 02-15-2017, 07:47 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 0
15 Years

I have a 2002 928. We live in a snow belt in NW Michigan and this blower has run great and blown snow for 50 ft for hundreds of hours.

I will have the belts checked when it goes in for service after the season is over.

Guess I'm just lucky?
post #7 of 27 Old 02-16-2017, 02:15 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverRider View Post
OEM belts? It probably just needed a tensioner adjustment and all would have been well for the remaining life of the belt.
Belt is an OEM Honda belt. Tensioner was at the limit. I may have to look deeper for the cause of the failure. Too much play somewhere bearing etc.

commercial snow blowing
HS 928 - 2008
post #8 of 27 Old 02-16-2017, 02:24 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinter View Post
I just replaced a belt in my buddies 25 year old machine, it's a 828 and it was the original part.
25 years ,....... Amazing. I have never got more than a couple seasons max out of any blowers I have owned. Run MTD s for 20 years. Belts were a regular thing with them.
tinter likes this.

commercial snow blowing
HS 928 - 2008
post #9 of 27 Old 02-16-2017, 07:36 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 90
Thanks (Received): 223
Likes (Given): 294
Likes (Received): 330
Is it the belt? Or perhaps the impeller shear pin broke making the pulley spin but not the impeller or augers? This would be my bet if the belt condition and tension are good.
Take the belt cover off and, and inspect what is happening there, if the impeller pulley spins normally when the clutch is engaged, then the pin would be your issue.
Another thing to look at would be the auger clutch cable/arm spring (but if something is wrong here the lever at the handle bar would feel abnormal.
post #10 of 27 Old 02-16-2017, 09:57 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 85
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Given): 38
Likes (Received): 38
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime View Post
Belt is an OEM Honda belt. Tensioner was at the limit. I may have to look deeper for the cause of the failure. Too much play somewhere bearing etc.
In my experience I have seen Honda belts last 20 years and more. The tension has to be right .

also make sure it is running in the center of the pulley. I threw a belt a couple times before I learned that lesson.

The machine was over 30 years old and the bushings were all worn out on the pulley assembly . 4 of them. what a job replacing them but now the belts run dead center on the pulleys.

i still haven't figured out how to properly tension an auger belt. i measure the handle to be about 4.5 inches ( i think that is what it is ) when the belt starts to move. that is in the factory manual for an 828.

what goes around comes around
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page