post #1 of 31 Old 02-16-2017, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 36
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 35
More HSS Clogging Research

This is a follow-up to my thread HSS928 Clogging [Solved?]

We have had mostly dry snow this month, so there have been no clogs since I completely removed the chute collar – until Tuesday. I was tackling a 5’ snowdrift and everything was fine until I hit a wet spot at the bottom of the drift when it clogged. I kept feeding the machine in hopes of it self-extracting, but it was so clogged, the engine stalled.

I used the “drop bar” to attempt extraction of the clog. There was super-packed snow lodged in the chute, completely solid from the ring gear, up to about a foot. The clogged snow was about the same dimension as the “bricks” seen in as seen in SB83’s video:

I stabbed the drop bar in the center of the brick and attempted to lift the clog straight up. It wasn’t budging. I had to chip away at it, piece-by-piece. When I had it loosened, I still couldn’t extract it straight up. That’s when I realized the chute itself is tapered. Could this be part two of our clogging problems?

I grabbed my spare, R&D chute to do some measurements. Here are the outer dimensions:

At the base of the collar: 6.25”
Top of the collar: 5.4”
Area at the chute deflector cable mounting boss: 5”
Top of chute: 4.8”

So there is a definite taper in the chute. Would the machine be less susceptible to clogging if the chute was not tapered?

I cannot blame the problem on lack of power or snow velocity as the “brick” was compacted, big time. A serious amount of energy was required to make it that dense.

When it is not clogged, it is an awesome machine. We are having a major snow event at the moment and my EOD was over 5’ high. It was no problem for the machine and the hydrostatic transmission is a definite benefit in a situation like that. It can deal with EOD situations better than any other blower on the street.

The hydrostatic transmission is why I have owned a Honda blower for 20 years. Those friction disc machines are a pain. When I was a kid in the 70’s using my father’s friction disc machine, I said at the time, “there’s got to be a better solution”. There is: hydrostatic.

The absence of the chute collar does not appear to make any difference. There may be a little extra snow spray, but no worse than my on old HS828. I have a kitchen corn broom in the garage that I use to brush off the snow after each use. It has the same accumulation with or without the collar.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks CalgaryPT thanked for this post
Likes Gilbert1212 liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 02-16-2017, 12:07 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 397
Thanks (Received): 190
Likes (Given): 233
Likes (Received): 484
In the new effort to put snow in to the neighboring city. the design had to change. in dry fluffy stuff the design works great. but when it comes to the slopfest stuff we get more and more of here in the paradise city. that design has major flaws. I have a TORO POWERSHIFT and when we get that dry fluffy stuff here it is greatest machine you could ever dream of. it has a smaller throat big long chute and the impeller spins like all get out.and will chuck it just as far as any Honda out there. but when the slopfest comes to town it does what yours is doing now. crapping big long bricks. now we move on to the old school TORO'S they have a larger throat opening along with a 14 inch impeller. and the engineers that designed that machine took into account every type of snow.from dry fluffy stuff to heavy wet stuff and everything inbetween. back in November of last year we got snow that was around 75-80 percent water. and "SR" was out there chucking the crap 25-30 ft. and was having a blast making a water fountain out of the stuff. people were actually stopping and watching the show. I probley really should get a go pro camera for that stuff. so when the opening gets narrower and the matter is thicker and heavier there will be less area to disperse the said stuff. but if you have a larger opening the less of a chance for clogging. I know these pics are not real close up of the subject at hand. but you should get the jist of it. this is the simplist way I know how to get the idea out. I am no engineer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_4180.JPG (148.5 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_3027 (2).JPG (134.0 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_4420.jpg (332.9 KB, 63 views)
Gilbert1212 likes this.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 31 Old 02-17-2017, 01:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 2
I don't think its all of them that clog, mine didn't clog at all this season, went from wet snow, slush and yesterday through 1 feet of fresh snow.
post #4 of 31 Old 02-19-2017, 02:55 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 0
I have a brand new HSS928AATD that I have put 5 hours on it. It seemed to throw our normal light & dry snow fine. However when I tried to move some wet, chunky snow the chute clogged solid. I cleared the chute and again it clogged solid again. Really would like a solution to this.
post #5 of 31 Old 02-20-2017, 01:31 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 58
Thanks (Received): 15
Likes (Given): 85
Likes (Received): 42
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERSHIFT93 View Post
In the new effort to put snow in to the neighboring city. the design had to change. in dry fluffy stuff the design works great. but when it comes to the slopfest stuff we get more and more of here in the paradise city. that design has major flaws. I have a TORO POWERSHIFT and when we get that dry fluffy stuff here it is greatest machine you could ever dream of. it has a smaller throat big long chute and the impeller spins like all get out.and will chuck it just as far as any Honda out there. but when the slopfest comes to town it does what yours is doing now. crapping big long bricks. now we move on to the old school TORO'S they have a larger throat opening along with a 14 inch impeller. and the engineers that designed that machine took into account every type of snow.from dry fluffy stuff to heavy wet stuff and everything inbetween. back in November of last year we got snow that was around 75-80 percent water. and "SR" was out there chucking the crap 25-30 ft. and was having a blast making a water fountain out of the stuff. people were actually stopping and watching the show. I probley really should get a go pro camera for that stuff. so when the opening gets narrower and the matter is thicker and heavier there will be less area to disperse the said stuff. but if you have a larger opening the less of a chance for clogging. I know these pics are not real close up of the subject at hand. but you should get the jist of it. this is the simplist way I know how to get the idea out. I am no engineer.
You betcyha. This old girl had been worked hard since 1980.
The 11/32s are beasts. It's now one of my back up. But seeing how great my new machine works, it probably will just sit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150414_182022_zps3ccsaj5d_1487615481757.jpg (171.0 KB, 45 views)
post #6 of 31 Old 02-20-2017, 05:35 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 51
Likes (Received): 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowCat in Bend View Post
I have a brand new HSS928AATD that I have put 5 hours on it. It seemed to throw our normal light & dry snow fine. However when I tried to move some wet, chunky snow the chute clogged solid. I cleared the chute and again it clogged solid again. Really would like a solution to this.
My dealer tried to sell me a new hss. I decided to buy a used HS and rebuild it. By the sounds of the complaints I am glad I went that direction. I would be a very unhappy camper. Clogging is pretty much a non event with the HS 928 with impeller kit. Only time I'm digging out snow is to replace a broken shear bolt. Slush here in the Northeast is far more common than dry snow.
SAVAGE420 likes this.

commercial snow blowing
HS 928 - 2008
HSS 928 (2015 Canadian version)
post #7 of 31 Old 02-20-2017, 05:56 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Received): 16
My 624 with tires and tracked 724 both clog if the temp starts to rise quickly above 32 degrees. It's either get it before that happens or shovel.
post #8 of 31 Old 02-20-2017, 11:35 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 28
Likes (Given): 8
Likes (Received): 64
No snowblower is immune to clogging just less susceptible then others. JeffNBs clog that led him to make this thread could have likely clogged other snowblowers. In this case it does seem like the shape of the chute did keep the Packed snow lodged into place.

I'd say The design collects and consolidates the snow for a smooth flow with less turbulence and further distances with less spraying. This is a design that's fantastic 99% of the time. That was the type of scenario where a plastic liner would certainly help.

Two sundays ago, I was in the heart of the slush belt of a storm. One neighbors murray clogged a few times. Another neighbors new ariens clogged cleaning the plowed pile of mess on the road in front of his mailbox.

My HSS928 efficiently handled the 3 inches of sticky, soggy, wet stuff without a clog. At its worst cleaning in front of my mailbox the machine only through the slop 5 feet. Better then no feet....

I still feel that the stock HSS chute collar increases its susceptibility to clogging.

Much of the country is in a winter hiatus, but more likely then not more snow will come. March snow is extra soggy and i'm looking forward to it.
SAVAGE420 and CalgaryPT like this.

Honda HSS1328AATD
MTD Gold 826
Simplicity 520
Toro Powerlite

Last edited by drmerdp; 02-21-2017 at 12:17 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks SAVAGE420 thanked for this post
post #9 of 31 Old 02-21-2017, 12:32 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Yesterday we had about 2 to 3 inches of wet snow fall. So I tested the snowblower to see if it would clog and it did. I have had this machine for less than 30 days and only 2 other snow days that were about 5 inches each. I was going to try and attached a photo to shown this clog from yesterday, but I guess I don't have enough posts to allow attachments as I am new to this group.
SAVAGE420 likes this.
post #10 of 31 Old 02-21-2017, 03:20 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 12
Likes (Received): 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffNB View Post
This is a follow-up to my thread HSS928 Clogging [Solved?]

Would the machine be less susceptible to clogging if the chute was not tapered?

Jeff
Jeff I think you could be correct. I wondered in another post if there were discrepancies in the positioning of the top of the chute when welded, and that perhaps a template was not used in production for those top two tacks. This would account for some differences across similar models. Just for fun I set a caliper on mine when on my way to my local dealer for some parts. While the parts guy was busy I placed the caliper in the chute of another HSS724 they had there. There was over 3/4 inch difference between the top of collar in the model they had at the store and my unit at home I'd bought a few months earlier.

While I'm leaning towards the taper as the culprit, there are many factors and conditions here at play, so I sympathize with Robert from Honda as I am sure Honda must weigh the number of complaints across all dealers before deciding whether it is a pattern. I wish I could contribute more data in the way of field performance, but I am in Calgary and we just don't get the wet stuff very often or in quantities that would ofter useful feedback (touch wood). So far my machine has been flawless.

The good news is that if the top discharge taper is proven to be at fault, it is a simple fix for some of us at least when it comes to the discharge chute. If I do go down that path, I too will buy a second chute to experiment with, so as to dodge warranty issues as best I can.

If part two is in the bottom half of chute (square), the issue is less easy to fix at home. Thanks for your measurements and vid.

----------------
Peter

"Perfection is an insult to the Gods."

Last edited by CalgaryPT; 02-21-2017 at 08:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page