LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 02-16-2017, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
HS928 right transmission case

Hi all, new member here. I own a small engine repair business here in New Brunswick, Canada. I am fixing an HS928 tracked blower. The right side trans gear case had a couple broken gears that I am replacing. But I am having problems on what kind of grease should I use inside the gear case when I re-assemble it. I would think any kind of general purpose grease would be fine but wanted to make sure. Thanks, Kel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-16-2017, 01:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 10
Likes (Received): 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelpaso View Post
Hi all, new member here. I own a small engine repair business here in New Brunswick, Canada. I am fixing an HS928 tracked blower. The right side trans gear case had a couple broken gears that I am replacing. But I am having problems on what kind of grease should I use inside the gear case when I re-assemble it. I would think any kind of general purpose grease would be fine but wanted to make sure. Thanks, Kel
Im after rebuilding 5 in last 2 years on blowers I bought and sell,,,, I use red wheel bearing grease in the tub from Canadian Tire,,,, I was told to use that from a Honda shop here by mechanics be cause its more durable and lasts longer,, and more water resistant,,, I also use it on the chute motors on the hss and gear around the chute itself,,, so far all the ones I sold the rebuilt blowers to said they work fine,,, im sure theres others on here that will be on later tonight will tell you more good products to use
post #3 of 9 Old 02-16-2017, 09:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 28
Likes (Given): 8
Likes (Received): 64
Any lithium complex grease will work well.

Honda HSS1328AATD
MTD Gold 826
Simplicity 520
Toro Powerlite
post #4 of 9 Old 02-19-2017, 12:07 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Received): 5
No, don't use Lithium Complex grease. Use only Aluminum Complex grease. It's waterproof too. 20X better grease. It doesn't wash out.

Sheaffer's 274 with moly. Best stuff around.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 61ipILYtjpL._SL1300_.jpg (64.5 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by Apple Guy; 02-19-2017 at 12:10 AM.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-19-2017, 06:30 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Kelpaso,,,, how did you make out,,,,was the pin in the main shaft broken,,,, did you rebuild it and get it working again?
post #6 of 9 Old 02-19-2017, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Yes the pin on the main shaft was broken along with the gear that it drives. Still waiting for the parts. I'll also change all the bearings and bushings. As far as grease, I called my honda dealer and he looked in their repair manual and he said is say's to use general purpose grease. I have a couple pouches of Molybdenum cv joint grease that I will use.
post #7 of 9 Old 02-19-2017, 05:30 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelpaso View Post
Yes the pin on the main shaft was broken along with the gear that it drives. Still waiting for the parts. I'll also change all the bearings and bushings. As far as grease, I called my honda dealer and he looked in their repair manual and he said is say's to use general purpose grease. I have a couple pouches of Molybdenum cv joint grease that I will use.
Right on figured thats what was wrong,,, Im after doing 7 or 8 now for some people,,, she will be good for another 10-15 years or more after that
post #8 of 9 Old 02-21-2017, 01:12 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 28
Likes (Given): 8
Likes (Received): 64
Lithium grease typically has better low temperature performance, but the moly grease is very well suited to shear forces between gears.

I've seen moly infused lithium grease too. In this application almost any grease would suffice.

Honda HSS1328AATD
MTD Gold 826
Simplicity 520
Toro Powerlite
post #9 of 9 Old 02-21-2017, 03:20 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 51
Likes (Received): 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaulky45 View Post
Right on figured thats what was wrong,,, Im after doing 7 or 8 now for some people,,, she will be good for another 10-15 years or more after that
Just service the transmission on my 3 year old ,62 hours service blower today. By what I found inside, I would not recommend going more than 3-4 years tops between servicing.
The grease was already hard, clumpy and deteriorated from water, gears were rusty, one bearing was rough. Regular service will cost less and make your machine more reliable. Honda owners manual says grease that tranny every year, but Im not hearing too many say they do it yearly. Took me about 6 hours by the time it was all done. I will figure on no more than 3 years to the next service.
I purchased a 7 year old recently. The trans mission failed on it before I got to to it. Grease was shot, hard clumps. Counter shaft bushing was completely gone, no trace, in turn the play had worn out the countershaft and gear. So the repair was all bushings, all bearings and seal. 2 gears, the countershaft. substantial work to clean up the remaining gears and case, sand drive shaft etc. Costly repair. 7 years is too long!!!

commercial snow blowing
HS 928 - 2008
HSS 928 (2015 Canadian version)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page