Snowblower Forum banner

HS828 Identification

5K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  mfrs2000 
#1 ·
Hi, purchased an old HS828 from an auction. I am now looking to determine the year of this machine. No ware on this blower is the suffix stamped HS 828 ???. The serial is SZAK-2000904. How old would this machine be? I will be in need of parts.

Never worked on Honda in the past. I am sure I will have a hundred question to ask before I am done with this thrower. Lol...

There is a lot of play in the auger gear box. When I rotate the augers by hand, the gear box will rotate with lots of play between the gear box and the output shaft to the impeller. The gear box on an Ariens or Toro do not move. Does this seem right? There is no metal tie holding the gear box to the bucket like on a new unit.

Thanks

#5 ·
...There is a lot of play in the auger gear box. When I rotate the augers by hand, the gear box will rotate with lots of play between the gear box and the output shaft to the impeller...Does this seem right? There is no metal tie holding the gear box to the bucket like on a new unit.
The early generations do not have the auger trans bracket. Mine has quite a bit of play also, never had a problem in 26 years.

Before I added side skids, I went through fair amount of shear bolts. That kept me checking the whole auger assembly regularly. :laugh:

#7 · (Edited)
Mine rotates more like 3/8". Got quite a few hours on 'er though.

I have a 500' gravel/sand driveway with a grass strip down most of the center...always called it my two-track driveway. It's pretty uneven terrain and would invariably hit high and low spots along the journey. The skids just evened things out.

Don't really think I was hitting the augers since the teeth are still in pretty good shape.

#9 ·
That is a good idea. I replaced mine about 6 years ago. Still has that play at the auger trans. Tight as can be at the impeller where it meets the housing.

If someone else runs the blower, or you let it run with the drive handle tied down, you can see the auger trans bob up and down a little as the blower eats snow. Never had a problem. I had swallowed up some old telephone wire once and about half of a cheap tarp where I had a heck of a time cutting them out. Blew an impeller shear bolt on the phone wire and just an auger shear bolt on the tarp.

Do you have an 828, or worked on any without the bracket? Do they have some play?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.