LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 04-04-2017, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 28
Likes (Given): 8
Likes (Received): 64
HSS1328AATD Build

Snow season is over for me, so what better time to get going on the build. Interestingly to me, I feel compelled to mod and "improve" this machine because I like it so much.

I made some good head way last Saturday. Aside from a slew of chores, I got going on tearing the machine down. I have to say, it was surprisingly easy. I never dug this deep into a Honda HS or HSS. The build quality of these machines is very impressive. Through and through, it's easy to see the strength of the structure, and the upper echelon detail. Good engineering, heavy steel, Lots Of Bolts, all with a welded nut to mate with.

Took me under 2 hours to have the machine into pieces, wiped down, and surface treated with fluid film.

I basically removed the cover and chute, then separated the bucket from the tractor, then removed the engine and installed the 1332 engine bed plate.

Cleaned all the nooks and crannies before installing the engine bed. Anything, galvanized, or aluminum was coated with fluid film. Anything painted was wiped down with a little fluid film.

Yesterday I started working on impeller seals. I have discovered that an impeller mod does more then improve snow throwing. It also reduces the impact of pebbles between the Impeller and Housing from a gouging to a more acceptable scratching. I get so many **** pebbles on my street, my towns salters must have stone mixed with the salt. My MTD with an impeller kit has a fraction of the scratching that my Honda is getting. The pebbles are the perfect size to stagger the 1/8 - 3/16 gap my impeller has.

I touched up the impeller housings on both machines before winter storm Stella hit. My MTD cleared twice as much EOD with an 1/8 of the visible wear. The Honda was showing polished metal all over.

I accumulated some plate steel, 3/16" conveyor belt, and stainless hardware.

So far I have the plates fabed up, and the impeller + housing primed for paint.

The GX390 finally came in today. I dropped the engine on its studs bolted it down and attached all the cables and wiring. Perfect fit, bigger in all dimensions, but fits fine. I went to the 1332 drive pulley as well, because the auger pulley is a larger diameter. Faster impeller speed.

I have a bunch of small adjustments to make once I get the bucket reattached. The service manual is full of specifications. From the obvious engine rpm, to cable adjustment gaps and belt stop gaps. Back to the detail in engineering.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Time for an update:

So I've had a productive Saturday. I did some yard work, Got all my summer machines up and running, repaired my washing machine, reorganized my shed, and assembled the Honda.

I touched up all the paint on the machine, finished my impeller seals, and put the two halves of the machine together. Everything went together well, and I went through my manual and set all the pertinate adjustments as specified. The new engine fired up first pull, I have electric start, but I wanted the satisfaction of pull starting it for the first time. I ran it for a while to have the engine fully warm up before dialing in the idle and full throttle speeds. 2000rpm idle, 3500rpm full. (specified in the manual.)

With the impeller kit, the re-enforcement under the impeller blades doesn't leave many good locations for drilling and bolting. So I found the best spots and came up with a plan. The impeller throws snow, but it also flings it so I wanted to make the surface as smooth as possible. Decided on a large plate (12ga), contoured to the shape of the impeller blade and added a bend at the base of the plate so it ramps up, instead of a step up. Plus I used carriage bolts to yet still, keep things smooth. It may be difficult to see but I filed a square for the bolt to sit in and lock into place.

As I posted before, the 1332 engine bed bolted right into place and the engine right to the bed plate. All of cables, wires, belts, and belt stops bolted right into place. I could have bought the proper left side belt stopper but frankly it wasn't nessesary, all it needed was a slight bend to accommodate the larger 1332 auger pulley. (3.3" vs 3.5") $17 saved.

I didn't reassemble the chute and motor cover yet because I want to tweak the design on my modified chute. Here is the 95% finished product.

The GX390 is bigger then the 270 L x W x H, but fits well within the dimensions of the 28" bucket. The recoil starter is noticeably closer to the battery and the muffler extends closer to the edge of the buckets coverage. The protective cage around the muffler sits right inline with the edge of the bucket.

I don't think a GX390 would have practical physical fitment on a 724 machine.

I should have done a size comparison photo of the gx270 and gx390. I can maybe still prop up the 270 next to the machine for comparisons sake. But here are the bed plates side by side. You can see the difference in stud locations. GX390 on the left.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update:

So it's all back together. I made an adjustment to the chute collar and added UHMW to the back of the chute. I changed the pitch of the collar slightly.

I adjusted the distance at the top of the collar from 6" to 5.75". Stock is 5.25. This should take care of the little bit spray I was getting with the chute facing all the way to the right.

The adhesive backed UHMW is a royal pain to shape to the chutes contour. It's nearly impossible to shape it to do the back and sides in one piece. So I just did the back with a 1" rise up the sides in one piece, that's where 90% of the benefit is anyway. I sealed the edges with clear rtv. Just going to have to see how it holds up. My main reason for the liner is to eliminate the need to paint the chute Every season.

It's a bummer having to wait 8 months to try this thing out. Oh well.

For comparisons sake here are two pictures of the machine from a similar angle.

Gx390

Gx270
CalgaryPT likes this.

Honda HSS1328AATD
MTD Gold 826
Simplicity 520
Toro Powerlite

Last edited by drmerdp; 04-17-2017 at 01:29 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes jrom liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 04-05-2017, 12:12 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 129
Thanks (Received): 50
Likes (Given): 394
Likes (Received): 69
Very cool.

I think you're going to like the 390 in the 28" frame set...I know I would!

Please keep us posted.

Honda HS828TAS - 1991
Honda HSS1332ATD - 2015
post #3 of 23 Old 04-05-2017, 01:09 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 18
Cool project.

Seems odd to do this to a brand new machine though. I can understand doing it to an old machine with a worn engine.

Did you purchase the 928 thinking it would be enough, but found yourself unimpressed with the power? Just wondering why you didn't go with the 1332 to begin with. It's only 11 pounds heavier than the 28 so as far as ease of handling goes you won't notice a difference. And most of that extra weight is in the engine itself, so the weight difference between your 1328 and a 1332 will be much less than that even. Unless you have walkways or areas in which a 32" physically won't fit? Not hating, just curious.

I am sure it will be an enjoyable learning experience nonetheless.
post #4 of 23 Old 04-05-2017, 01:22 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 12
Likes (Received): 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmerdp View Post
Snow season is over for me, so what better time to get going on the build. Interestingly to me, I feel compelled to mod and "improve" this machine because I like it so much.

I'll post more pictures soon. Teaser for now.
Thanks. I have to admit I've been guilty of tearing new things apart for the giggles of it. Keep up the pics and any lessons learned coming. There's a guy up here in Canuck land who took apart a new GX200 and its equivalent Chinese clone just to compare the two. Surprisingly, there were a few things done better on the clone. So we can always learn from these tear downs.

I'm prepared to do the chute mod if needed, but not quite ready to tear down my 724. It's still too shiney. I bought the shop manuals for both my 724 and my 520. I've torn the single stage down already and learned a lot.

Thanks.

----------------
Peter

"Perfection is an insult to the Gods."
post #5 of 23 Old 04-05-2017, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Seems odd to do this to a brand new machine though. I can understand doing it to an old machine with a worn engine.
Agreed. Average Joe should not do what I'm doing. But I'm not average Joe.

I didn't buy a 1332 for a few reasons.

First, the additional cost was a little frightening to me. It's already a big purchase, plus I had just bought my first house.

Secondly, I have an awesome cargo carrier with ramp that would not accommodate a 32" bucket.

Lastly, It's amazing how in my garage and shed, 4" of additional bucket width totally through a monkey wrench into my storage configuration. My 26" MTD fit perfect. The 28" Honda is tight. The 32" would be a nuisance. (I'm sort of a Power Equipment nut, I have a bunch of equipment.

The 1332s auger protection system does have me a little jealous. I'll just have to keep telling myself that it's one less thing to break.

The GX270 felt underwhelming at first, after about 10-15 hours it's clear that the 928 combination is not underpowered. It did great during the 24" of winter storm Stella. But... it's obvious that the machine has so much more potential with the limiting factor being the power plant. Though the 1332 has a larger bucket, a 1328 can move just as much snow per hour. Its the difference of a larger swath at a slower speed, and smaller swath at a faster speed.

Why not make an EXELLENT machine AMAZING? I'm still torn between keeping the gx270 or selling it. I can't help thinking how sweet an HS924 wheel or track would be as a backup.

Honda HSS1328AATD
MTD Gold 826
Simplicity 520
Toro Powerlite

Last edited by drmerdp; 04-05-2017 at 01:57 PM.
Likes E350 liked this post
post #6 of 23 Old 04-05-2017, 04:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 18
That spare gx270 would be a fine engine for a go kart!
CalgaryPT likes this.
post #7 of 23 Old 04-05-2017, 11:46 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 90
Thanks (Received): 223
Likes (Given): 294
Likes (Received): 330
Go for the HS/HSS924. JnC did an HS924TA and was pretty happy with it.......
post #8 of 23 Old 04-06-2017, 01:37 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 12
Likes (Received): 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
That spare gx270 would be a fine engine for a go kart!
Not any go-cart from my youth. I remember gears, chains, belching 2 cycles, pushing up hills with my foot, and the occasional fire.

If I had a GX270 on a go-cart I'd also expect quadraphonic sound, heated seats, ABS and a backup camera.

Oh yeah....it had better have a cup holder. No self-respecting 10 year old boy will ever catch the eye of a righteous babe w/o a latte shelf.

(I love those Honda GX's).

----------------
Peter

"Perfection is an insult to the Gods."
Likes classiccat liked this post
post #9 of 23 Old 04-06-2017, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Oh yeah....it had better have a cup holder. No self-respecting 10 year old boy will ever catch the eye of a righteous babe w/o a latte shelf.
lol, I'm afraid go karts are off the table... For now...

The 270 needs a home on a snowblower. Whether I do it or someone else does. For me it would have to be a 24" machine. It would be nice on a powershift or a stout snapper or Ariens. But keeping things Honda would be nicer.

I've been keeping my eyes peeled for an Hs80 or 55. But For the most part, People want way too much for these machines still.

Honda HSS1328AATD
MTD Gold 826
Simplicity 520
Toro Powerlite
post #10 of 23 Old 04-06-2017, 10:30 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 90
Thanks (Received): 223
Likes (Given): 294
Likes (Received): 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmerdp View Post
I've been keeping my eyes peeled for an Hs80 or 55. But For the most part, People want way too much for these machines still.
I'd look for an HS724 or HS624 instead due to their hydrostatic transmission, it would be a much better option.........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page