hs828 hydro fluid change.... - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Snowmobile Escrow

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2013, 02:25 PM   #1

Default hs828 hydro fluid change....

I have done lots of reading and I think I know how to change the hydro fluid on my hs828. But i was hoping somone on here would shed a little more light on it. I just bought it used and want to service everything before the snow flies. Not sure what if anything has been done to it other than oil changes. Can anybody post a page or two of the service manual on changing the fluid. I do have hondas brand hydro oil so I am good there.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2013, 02:43 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum GB. If you've been watching the forum for a while, you will have seen robert@honda's posts. He works for Honda and is a great resource for Honda equipment questions. He will likely be along shortly. Robert helped me out on the sister forum (Power Equipment Forum) when I bought my Honda generator this past summer.

Good luck.

Larry
Old 10-27-2013, 02:46 PM   #3

Thanks I hope to hear from him!! I just want to be 100 percent sure of what I am doing.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-29-2013, 09:17 AM   #4

Anyone else??
Old 10-29-2013, 12:08 PM   #5

Sorry I'm late

The HST fluid in all Honda snowblowers is good for the life of the unit. The only regular service is to check the level and top off. Leaking units (rare) would need to be inspected and the source found. The HST fluid is not consumed like engine oil, nor does it ever really wear out. Unless you're having some kind of problem, leak, etc. there is no reason to just "change the HST fluid."

But, if you think the fluid is contaminated or other problems, there is a drain bolt, BUT, if you drain the fluid, then refill it, you must fully bleed the transmission, and to do this properly requires removing the transmission from the snowblower. I've never known someone to do this while it is still installed, and based on the bleeding procedure, it does not seem viable. Strongly suggest you don't drain the transmission, but just check and top off the fluid if it is not leaking or having any problems.

Still reading? Okay, there is a drain bolt on the lower part of the transmission case near the transmission release lever. You may need to tip the unit rearward to fully drain the case. (sorry, I don't have a good clear image of this).

When refilling, the total capacity of the transmission is 0.793 quart, and it is very important to only fill with genuine Honda HST Fluid. No other aftermarket fluid/oil is approved for use with a Honda hydrostatic transmission. FYI, Honda is NOT trying to get rich off this, the engineers had to create a special formula for the Honda HST, and no other fluid was ever tested or approved. There is a scale on the side of the fill tank with UPPER and LOWER level marks, and fluid should be filled to meet the mark matching the outdoor temp.:

Next, you must bleed the system to purge all air; here's the procedure.

1. Remember, this assumes you have removed the transmission from the unit. That procedure requires:
a. remove engine
b. remove auger housing
c. remove tension pulley / auger brake
d. remove tracks (TA models)

Resources:
Genuine Honda factory shop manual (paper only, ebay or amazon, direct from Honda, free shipping and updates for 3 years)

Amazon.com: Honda HS624 HS724 HS828 HS928 HS1132 Snow blower Service Repair Shop Manual: Patio, Lawn & Garden Amazon.com: Honda HS624 HS724 HS828 HS928 HS1132 Snow blower Service Repair Shop Manual: Patio, Lawn & Garden

HST Fluid:
Genuine Honda HST fluid, 1 quart bottle, Part Number 08208-HST01. Google the part number to find online, or use this link to find a local Honda dealer:

Find A Honda Dealer

Old 10-29-2013, 01:13 PM   #6

OK, well I will leave it as is-- It doesn't look contaminated just thought I would do something 'good' I am willing to tackle the project but I will leave well enough alone since the fluid is good for the life of the machine. Thanks for all the info, its a BIG help!!!!
Old 10-29-2013, 11:28 PM   #7

Didn't I tell you that Robert is Da Best when you need Honda help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement