3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 Old 12-28-2016, 11:11 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 264
I agree Tecumseh stuff is a dime a dozen..... fixing them is no big deal...... and I see lots of Jacobsen blowers for sale all the time. No shortage of parts machines either.....

I am deathly allergic to shovels!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 Old 12-28-2016, 11:40 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 28
Thanks (Received): 28
Likes (Given): 18
Likes (Received): 69
I've just put a little time into rebuilding two Jacobsens, I really like how they are put together and their quality. I don't see much except the auger gearboxes that would be hard to repair or fabricate a part for, and the two I have were well used, but no issues with the transmissions at all or the axle bearings. I chose to get the Tecumsehs running, but a 212 Predator would only need a 3/4 to 1 inch bushing to adapt it to the Jake. If we ever get snow in Massachusetts again, I'll have personal knowledge on how well they throw snow. BTW no rust on these old girls at all....only thing worn on them were the skid plates.......
eyebolt likes this.
post #13 of 19 Old 12-28-2016, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 15
Latest forecast says we're about to get 8-12 inches in my area of MA.

Did you need to free up the linkages on the ones you worked on?
post #14 of 19 Old 12-28-2016, 05:26 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 28
Thanks (Received): 28
Likes (Given): 18
Likes (Received): 69
where in Mass are you located? I'm on the south coast...we never get snow....LOL. I sprayed some PB blast on the older Jake and got the friction wheel moving up and down good with a crowbar. Then used lithium grease on all moving parts..all good now. The newer one...like yours, wasn't grabbing good and slipping some....I was able to see that the arm that gave tension to the friction disc, was bent just slightly, and restricted in its travel by hitting the handlebar. One wack with a hammer and all fixed. These Jakes are the first I've seen and worked on, and I really like them from a machinery and quality standpoint. The ones I've seen working on Youtube seem to throw well. I'm going to do my first impeller mod on one or both of these for practice....probably just one so I can see the difference between them before and after. My problem is after working on a machine for a while, I get attached to it. I've got to be strong and sell a few.
post #15 of 19 Old 12-28-2016, 08:19 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Received): 8
Here's an option (assuming the coil is good) Link: Universal Electronic Ignition I used something like this a long time ago and worked fine. It basically replaces the points and all it does is fire the coil when the magnet induces a charge into the primary circuit.

Seems Stens reproduces Tecumseh coils. But a Predator swap seems fun. A used Tecumseh OHV Snow King (OHSK model) is another option but likely will cost more than the Pred. but are relatively modern . A local mower shop has a couple, one's a runner and the other needs something fixed but these were used in a bunch of brands so should be available. The local shops have all kinds of snow throwers sitting around for parts so could be worth a shot.

But, like others I'd prefer to see it fixed up then parted out since there's a lot of that on Ebay.

2003 Snapper I55224 - 5.5HP Tecumseh OHV OHSK55 (195cc)
2016 Toro Snowmaster 724QXE - Loncin 212cc
post #16 of 19 Old 12-28-2016, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranman View Post
where in Mass are you located? I'm on the south coast...we never get snow....LOL. I sprayed some PB blast on the older Jake and got the friction wheel moving up and down good with a crowbar. Then used lithium grease on all moving parts..all good now. The newer one...like yours, wasn't grabbing good and slipping some....I was able to see that the arm that gave tension to the friction disc, was bent just slightly, and restricted in its travel by hitting the handlebar. One wack with a hammer and all fixed. These Jakes are the first I've seen and worked on, and I really like them from a machinery and quality standpoint. The ones I've seen working on Youtube seem to throw well. I'm going to do my first impeller mod on one or both of these for practice....probably just one so I can see the difference between them before and after. My problem is after working on a machine for a while, I get attached to it. I've got to be strong and sell a few.
Outer Route 2 in Northern Worcester County. We're forecast to get 8-12.

When the weather gets better I'll play with it, thanks for the tips!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blosumsno View Post
Here's an option (assuming the coil is good) Link: Universal Electronic Ignition I used something like this a long time ago and worked fine. It basically replaces the points and all it does is fire the coil when the magnet induces a charge into the primary circuit.

Seems Stens reproduces Tecumseh coils. But a Predator swap seems fun. A used Tecumseh OHV Snow King (OHSK model) is another option but likely will cost more than the Pred. but are relatively modern . A local mower shop has a couple, one's a runner and the other needs something fixed but these were used in a bunch of brands so should be available. The local shops have all kinds of snow throwers sitting around for parts so could be worth a shot.

But, like others I'd prefer to see it fixed up then parted out since there's a lot of that on Ebay.
I didn't know those even existed! For $11 on Amazon its worth a try. Even if I don't keep teh original engine, I'd like to try to get it running so I can see how the rest of the machine works...then we can talk engine swaps.
post #17 of 19 Old 12-29-2016, 12:31 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 42
Thanks (Received): 58
Likes (Given): 49
Likes (Received): 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanyoukimura View Post
Outer Route 2 in Northern Worcester County. We're forecast to get 8-12.

When the weather gets better I'll play with it, thanks for the tips!

I didn't know those even existed! For $11 on Amazon its worth a try. Even if I don't keep teh original engine, I'd like to try to get it running so I can see how the rest of the machine works...then we can talk engine swaps.

It up to you on how you proceed. Being that the snow blower has a non-running engine with no spark it's possible it could be as simple as coil replacement and it's fixed or it could be just the tip of the iceberg as to what’s not working on that engine. I tend to say if you have a good running engine keep it that way with preventative maintenance. Being that this engine is not running and has no-spark you could opt for the ebay electronic ignition and hope that the rest of the engine is in decent mechanical shape. At $11 dollars it's not too expensive. However if a carburetor cleaning and new ignition and spark plug doesn't get it to pop I would not spend big money trying to resurrect this old engine. I have 2 lawn mowers one is at my cabin and the other is at my house. Both of them have the original Briggs and Stratton vertical shaft L-head engines and the oldest one is about 12 years old. Both engines continue to run well so I will keep them however if they should become unreliable or fail to work well enough to cut the grass I will either swap the engine with a vertical shaft OHV Predator engine or simply buy another lawnmower. I have done small engine maintenance for a lawn cutting service when I was a college student and if the engine has a damaged cylinder bore (low compression) and worn valve guides it really is no longer cost effective to attempt to repair this. Plus most of these old Tecumseh engines had what is called a cool bore (cylinder bored into cast aluminum head) meaning there is no caste iron cylinder liner so often they are un-repairable if the bore is damaged. As to this Jacobsen Snow blower being a collectable it is only worth what someone will pay you for it and if it doesn't run it is worth $50 at most. Comparing a snowblower to a vintage collectable car makes me chuckle since a snowblower is only worth what someone will pay for it and if the engine doesn't run it worth $50 at most.

Last edited by GustoGuy; 12-29-2016 at 11:18 AM.
post #18 of 19 Old 12-29-2016, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by GustoGuy View Post
It up to you on how you proceed. Being that the snow blower has a non-running engine with no spark it's possible it could be as simple as coil replacement and it's fixed or it could be just the tip of the iceberg as to whatís not working on that engine. I tend to say if you have a good running engine keep it that way with preventative maintenance. Being that this engine is not running and has no-spark you could opt for the ebay electronic ignition and hope that the rest of the engine is in decent mechanical shape. At $11 dollars it's not too expensive. However if a carburetor cleaning and new ignition and spark plug doesn't get it to pop I would not spend big money trying to resurrect this old engine. I have 2 lawn mowers one is at my cabin and the other is at my house. Both of them have the original Briggs and Stratton vertical shaft L-head engines and the oldest one is about 12 years old. Both engines continue to run well so I will keep them however if they should become unreliable or fail to work well enough to cut the grass I will either swap the engine with a vertical shaft OHV Predator engine or simply buy another lawnmower. I have done small engine maintenance for a lawn cutting service when I was a college student and if the engine has a damaged cylinder bore (low compression) and worn valve guides it really is no longer cost effective to attempt to repair this. Plus most of these old Tecumseh engines had what is called a cool bore (cylinder bored into cast aluminum head) meaning there is no caste iron cylinder liner so often they are un-repairable if the bore is damaged. As to this Jacobsen Snow blower being a collectable it is only worth what someone will pay you for it and if it doesn't run it is worth $50 at most. Comparing a snowblower to a vintage collectable car makes me chuckle since a snowblower is only worth what someone will pay for it and if the engine doesn't run it worth $50 at most.
I agree, if it doesn't fire after getting spark and cleaning the carburetor I'm not going to waste my time.

I'm not really interested in the collectability of it, I just like how well built older ones are. Besides, I already have my keeper.

GustoGuy likes this.
post #19 of 19 Old 12-29-2016, 11:39 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 42
Thanks (Received): 58
Likes (Given): 49
Likes (Received): 75
That is a really nice Older Simplicity Blower!. I like to take care of my stuff and rather than go out and get a new snow blower I repowered it. I waited many years messing around instead of blowing snow just to get that old 5hp Tecumseh to run right and I stumbled across on how good the Predator 212cc engines are when I repowered a Doodle bug minibike with one. It sounds like you paid very little or got that Old Jacobsen for free? Three years ago I bought an old Gilson made Montgomery Ward Unitrol 3speed blower with a Briggs 8hp on it for $15. I tore it down and fixed it all up and I tried to get the original engine to run well but it had some mechanical issues so I eventually repowered it. I use it at my cabin to blow snow. I will always attempt to tune up or get an old engine running well but I will not settle for an unreliable or poor running just to have an original engine on it. I have some of the nicest old stuff like my 1996 Polaris XLT touring that is very clean and I done many improvements to it as well such as a set of Thunderdome Performance Billet heads and re-clutched it with and SLP Black ice anodized helix with a Silver/blue secondary spring and SLP super slippery clutch buttons. I also replaced the original track with a 1-inch lug full paddle designed track off a Polaris SKS with the 133.5 inch track as well as a set of Simmons flexi skis. Lets just say it takes off a whole lot better than it did in stock form and it is a much better snow machine now than it was with the touring track. Don't feel pressured by others into doing what you don't think will work and do what it takes to get it running well with or without the original engine on it.

Last edited by GustoGuy; 12-29-2016 at 11:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page