LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 12-28-2016, 01:41 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 15
What to do with this Jacobsen

Back in August I acquired a Jacobsen Imperial 626. I had wanted to tinker with it before winter, but alas it never happened.

I did get to poke around with it a couple weeks ago. It's got compression but no spark. This, in and of itself, might not be a big deal. However, unlike with lawnmowers, my supply of snowblower parts is essentially nonexistent.

I'm on the fence about working on this because I'm not especially familiar Jacobsen and I don't know how difficult parts are to get (impossible for the lawn mower I have). It'd be one this if it were 100% complete, but it's missing the back cover, and some of the linkage seems to be seized, and its missing the shroud for the carburetor.

Would it be worth putting money into this, or would I be better off selling it to someone who has or needs Jacobsen spares to make it whole or use it for parts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 12-28-2016, 02:03 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 385
Thanks (Received): 178
Likes (Given): 226
Likes (Received): 451
Sell it for parts, better chance of making some money off of it.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 19 Old 12-28-2016, 02:34 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 25
Thanks (Received): 75
Likes (Given): 387
Likes (Received): 104
i would sell it but as a whole, somebody will probably snag it up to do an engine swap, if the frames in good shape and the gearbox is good i usually wont consider a blower a parts unit, that would be one of my predator repower candidates, once you do a predator swap its worth 300 easy but if you want you can put 30 into fixing the points(parts arnt that much but your times worth something) and another 30 bucks to replace the carburetor, because if its been sitting long enough to have dirty points it probably been sitting long enough for the gas to go bad as well
post #4 of 19 Old 12-28-2016, 03:07 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 15
The thought had crossed my mind about doing a Predator swap. This thing looks like it would be quite a beast in the snow.

Do newer Tecumseh electronic ignition coils fit older engines like with Briggs? Just curious. I have thought about trying to get it running, as I'd like to see if the unit works before investing in a new engine for it.

What's parts availability like for these? Does Jacobsen support them at all?
post #5 of 19 Old 12-28-2016, 03:50 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 385
Thanks (Received): 178
Likes (Given): 226
Likes (Received): 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanyoukimura View Post
The thought had crossed my mind about doing a Predator swap. This thing looks like it would be quite a beast in the snow.

Do newer Tecumseh electronic ignition coils fit older engines like with Briggs? Just curious. I have thought about trying to get it running, as I'd like to see if the unit works before investing in a new engine for it.

What's parts availability like for these? Does Jacobsen support them at all?
Jacobsen is long gone now. parts are NLA on those

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #6 of 19 Old 12-28-2016, 04:08 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 42
Thanks (Received): 57
Likes (Given): 49
Likes (Received): 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43128 View Post
i would sell it but as a whole, somebody will probably snag it up to do an engine swap, if the frames in good shape and the gearbox is good i usually wont consider a blower a parts unit, that would be one of my predator repower candidates, once you do a predator swap its worth 300 easy but if you want you can put 30 into fixing the points(parts arnt that much but your times worth something) and another 30 bucks to replace the carburetor, because if its been sitting long enough to have dirty points it probably been sitting long enough for the gas to go bad as well

As to dumping money into fixing that old Tecumseh I wouldn't. Like others have said putting a $99 Predator 212cc on it would be a much better bang for your buck then dumping money into trying to fix an old obselete L- head engine. Repowering with a modern great running Predator 212cc engine makes sense if the drive and auger gear box are in decent shape would mean you would have a $250 to $300 snowblower once you are done. I repowered a 1973 Gilson made Montgomery Ward 8/26 with a Predator 212cc engine and it runs great and throws snow 30 feet.
post #7 of 19 Old 12-28-2016, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 34
Thanks (Received): 211
Likes (Given): 76
Likes (Received): 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by GustoGuy View Post
As to dumping money into fixing that old Tecumseh I wouldn't. Like others have said putting a $99 Predator 212cc on it would be a much better bang for your buck then dumping money into trying to fix an old obselete L- head engine. Repowering with a modern great running Predator 212cc engine makes sense if the drive and auger gear box are in decent shape would mean you would have a $250 to $300 snowblower once you are done. I repowered a 1973 Gilson made Montgomery Ward 8/26 with a Predator 212cc engine and it runs great and throws snow 30 feet.
Well..it totally depends on your mindset and what you want out of the machine..
Some vintage snowblowers are starting to get into a similar category as classic cars..

Some people might look at this:

and say: "why waste your money fixing up that obsolete outdated thing? when for LESS money you could buy this:

brand new and cheap from China?! with all the "latest technology"!"

ummm..yeah. that is sort-of technically true, but perhaps SO not the point!

Of course, if you just want something cheap that works (sort-of, for a short time) then sure, putting on the $99 Predator is an option.
For many who just want a cheap snowblower, thats an option.

For others, putting a $99 Predator on a classic vintage US-made snowblower is like putting a new Kia engine in a 1969 Camaro..
totally depends on what you are looking for.

Scot
ELaw likes this.

post #8 of 19 Old 12-28-2016, 09:55 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 26
Likes (Given): 52
Likes (Received): 62
You can drop it off at my house, I can all ways use another blower

Scott
69 ariens
toro 721r
toro 926 hd oxe
78 powerking 1614/48'' haban snowblower
post #9 of 19 Old 12-28-2016, 10:34 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 10
Likes (Received): 195
Here's my take on this:

What you have there is a Tecumseh engine sitting on a Jacobsen snowblower.

If the snowblower proper has issues that require parts you can't get (meaning probably anything more specialized than a belt or tires) and can't fabricate, the decision is probably made for you - the machine is unrepairable.

If the machine itself is good or can easily be made that way and the *engine* is the issue, you're in much better shape. You can do a Predator swap as other posters have mentioned. You can fix the engine that's on it... Tecumseh parts are generally quite easy to find, sometimes OE, sometimes Chinese knockoffs. Or, you can find another compatible Tec engine on C-list or something and bolt it on there.

Re the ignition, based on my limited experience, you can't swap points for electronic ignition on those engines. The point ignition magnetos are under the flywheel with the magnets on the inside of the flywheel. The electronic ones are mounted outside the FW (as on Briggs engines) with the magnets on the outside of the FW also. So at absolute best you'd have to swap the flywheel, but I suspect the worse issue would be that the necessary mounting bosses for the magneto aren't present on the older engine.

~1988 Ariens 924050 (ST824) "mama bear"
~1994 Ariens 924084 (ST1032) "papa bear": restored!
Toro PowerCurve 1800 "baby bear"

Be alert! America needs more lerts.
post #10 of 19 Old 12-28-2016, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 34
Thanks (Received): 211
Likes (Given): 76
Likes (Received): 396
Just to add some more to the conservation, there are still no problems finding Tecumseh engine parts.
and there is no reason to suspect any parts issues are coming anytime soon.

Snowblower parts, depending on the brand, can be harder to find that Tecumseh engine parts.

Scot

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page