LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 12-07-2015, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 8
Thanks (Received): 19
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 25
History of the Jacobsen 420

I am posting this tidbit of history of what happened to the Jacobsen 420 snowblowers, based on information from my time while employed at the factory in Racine. I worked there for alittle under 2 years just before the plant closed in 2001 so the Consumer Products division had long since been sold off, so my story is based on conversations with employees that worked there for many years before I started there and recalled the history, so If anyone has better first hand knowledge from that timeframe, feel free to correct me.

I had seen pictures of this model before I worked at Jacobsen and was curious why it never took off even though it was similar to the Toro CCR2000. So I began to have conversations with the people at the plant trying to gain some insight of this model and what happened to it.

The 420 model was based on the earlier SnowBurst model's frame but had a chute and initially a curved rotor similar to the Toro CCR2000. It had a Jacobsen/Homelite engine that was based on a Homelite design in place of the 501 Jacobsen engine that was in the SnowBurst model. It was offered with and without electric start. It was equipped with a primer for cold start assistance which is one feature the SnowBurst lacked and could cause starting troubles especially with old gas or very cold days. It had a fuel shutoff so you could easily run the carb dry to prevent fuel dripping and stale gas from sitting in the carb between uses. It also had a paddle bail control and chute direction crank at the operator position.

So why when this blower had every feature that the Toro CCR2000 had and more did it fail?

Well here is the story I was told, Toro and Jacobsen both were coming out with the single piece curved rubber paddle/chute design in the mid 80's and both had them in stores at about the same time. I was told that Jacobsen was involved in a lawsuit brought forth by Toro for Patent infringement due to the curved rotor and chute that both machines designs were based on. Jacobsen was forced to stop production of this design and redesign the paddle to a 3 piece design that the later machines were equipped with. Toro must have had the patent before Jacobsen.

I believe, that they were also not allowed to support that curved paddle model with parts for the sold units without paying royalties to Toro, so that hurt Jacobsen reputation and it's customers furthur.

That Lawsuit cost Jacobsen big time and hurt the Consumer Products division, ultimately it was decided to sell it off and focus on the Professional Turf division.

It's too bad they had to go out this way, Jacobsen had some really nice engines and equipment from the beginning up into the 80's.

Snowblowers in the shed. All made in the good ol USA.

Bobcat 28" 2 stage 8hp Briggs
Bobcat 24" 2 stage 7hp Briggs
Bobcat 20" 2 stage repowered with Tecumseh OHH50
Lawnboy Snowboy
Lawnboy Snowboy self propelled
Toro 6000 Rtek Powered
Toro CCR2000 Suzuki Powered
Toro CCR2500 Tecumseh Powered
Toro CCR3650 boxy one, Rtek Powered
Post Thanks / Like - 3 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Grunt, detdrbuzzard, bwdbrn1 thanked for this post
Likes dbert liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-08-2015, 05:26 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 169
Thanks (Received): 247
Likes (Given): 975
Likes (Received): 409
when I was a kid we had a Jacobsen mower that I thought was great. we also had a neighbor with a toro mower, the two most dependable mowers on the block. at 11yrs old I said that when I grew up and got a house my mower would be a jake or a toro. my mom and dad were long divorced by then and mom couldn't afford a snowblower so I never gave them any thought as a kid

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052
1-.............,TORO XL 624..............
1-............, TORO XL 824..............
william
post #3 of 6 Old 12-08-2015, 06:19 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 553
Thanks (Received): 222
Likes (Given): 584
Likes (Received): 596
Thanks for relating that story from your experience. Sad that Jacobsen evidently had to back off of their building what would have probably been a great snow thrower. I was told once that they ran into a similar sort of situation with their recoil start mechanism and had to change it because of a suit brought against them by Briggs and Stratton, though I've never really researched it enough to confirm it.

Here's a link to an old auction with some pictures of one of the 420s. It looks like it would have been a good machine.

http://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/auc...3Fauc%3D696951

I'm pretty much retired from the forum thing, but I check in every now and then.

Last edited by bwdbrn1; 12-08-2015 at 06:29 AM.
post #4 of 6 Old 12-14-2015, 10:20 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 392
Thanks (Received): 454
Likes (Given): 2530
Likes (Received): 859
Thread needs a photo, or two.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!
post #5 of 6 Old 01-11-2016, 09:40 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
I found a Jacobsen Sno-Burst like the one pictured below in the trash.

Based on my experience with this Jacobsen, I could understand why its successor might not have sold well.

I got it running fine, but even with new rubber it never would throw snow as good as a Toro S-200.

I found the "power burst" was mostly a gimmick. It would have been nice if the power burst was controllable from the handle.

I eventually gave it away.

post #6 of 6 Old 01-10-2017, 07:12 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 12
Likes (Received): 11
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalSnow View Post
I found a Jacobsen Sno-Burst like the one pictured below in the trash.

Based on my experience with this Jacobsen, I could understand why its successor might not have sold well.

I got it running fine, but even with new rubber it never would throw snow as good as a Toro S-200.

I found the "power burst" was mostly a gimmick. It would have been nice if the power burst was controllable from the handle.

I eventually gave it away.

Hi, I am looking at two of these machine's right now. They both look exactly the same except one says electronic ignition on the burst sticker and one doesn't. I found out the one that says electronic ignition has an electric starter. However does that also mean the one machine has an electronic ignition rather than a points ignition and the one that doesn't say electronic ignition is a points ignition or are they both actually point ignition or electronic ignition? I cant tell. The one has a burst where it says power burst on the control panel with a red plastic handle the one with that says electronic ignition just has a circle around the words power burst on the control panel and a metal handle. Is one a points ignition and one an electronic ignition or is one just an electric starter and the other one is not. I am asking because they are both in good shape but are priced 100 apart. I would rather have one with electronic ignition over points the electric starter doesn't really matter to me, it will be nice to have but not a necessity. Does anyone know that can help me. Thank's
Sno-Burst no electronic ignition designation asking $75: Jacobsen Sno-Burst Snowblower
Sno-Burst electonic ignition designated also was told has an electric starter asking $150
Jacobsen Sno Burst 2 stroke single stage snowblower snow blower thrower

They are slightly different in decal and designation, the one that says electronic ignition has an electric starter but does it also have an electronic ignition or points and how about the other one points or electronic? Which looks newer? I would prefer an electronic ignition over a points ignition for reliability reasons. That's my biggest concern.
If I get the one for 50 in great shape is it worth it for 6 inches or less of snow?
I used to have one made by aircap industries and it moved snow great. From my experience his design single stage was better than the chute design so is the Jake just as good? I would think the Jake would be better than a brand called a snow-champ by aircap industries.

Dual stage machines
1971 Ariens Sno-Thro 7/24, 7hp Tecumseh H70 (Backup unit)
1971 Ariens Sno-Thro 32 wide Predator 212cc (7hp) (2nd unit)
2002 Snapper 8246 (Series 6) 8hp Tecumseh HMSK80 (Main unit)
Single stage machines
1985 SnowChamp by Aircap 3hp, 20" single stage, 2 cycle Tecumseh AH600, air-vane snow director (primary single stage)
2001 Craftsman 5hp, 21" single stage, 2 cycle Tecumseh HSK850 (secondary single stage)

Last edited by FearlessFront; 01-10-2017 at 07:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page