LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 10-10-2016, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
craigslist Jacobsen snoburst find

Hello and sorry if this is the wrong place to post this but i'm new here and could use some guidance with my newly acquired snoburst. I picked it up off craigslist in my area for $80 and so far seems like a good deal considering it starts on about the second pull every time. I don't however know much of anything about it and am finding it hard to find out any specifics. It seems to have had a sloppy welding repair done to part of the frame (where the wheel/exhaust bracket attaches to the frame?) and looks as if someone poured some sort of (hopefully high temp) epoxy or jb-weld on the whole area where the exhaust pipe enters into the muffler, which is now all cracked up and most likely not providing a seal. I'm also not sure what the proper gap between the rubber blades and shroud should be, though the previous owner claimed one had been replaced the year before and they were correctly spaced, it just seemed like a large gap to me. any information you guys could provide would be appreciated. though most of the serial number seems to be missing i can see that it is a 51610 but can't find a date anywhere.
Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-11-2016, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 553
Thanks (Received): 222
Likes (Given): 584
Likes (Received): 596
Welcome to SBF.

There are a lot of the old Sunbursts out there. Since Jacobsen moved out of the consumer product business a long time ago, somewhere in the '70s, parts might have to come from other existing machines.

So far as the cracked exhaust, it might be a good idea to take it to a welding shop to see what they can do for you.

1999 Honda HS622T
1998 Toro PowerliteE
1980 Toro 1132
Yooper Scooper....year unknown

Come join us on My Lawnmower Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old 10-11-2016, 03:20 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 385
Thanks (Received): 178
Likes (Given): 226
Likes (Received): 452
ALOHA from the paradise city.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #4 of 8 Old 10-11-2016, 05:18 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 11
Thanks (Received): 28
Likes (Given): 9
Likes (Received): 36
Smile Welcome Aboard!

Once you've posted 10 times you can post pictures, we love to see pictures! Either this forum or General Snowblower Discussion Forum will get you lots of looks.

post #5 of 8 Old 10-11-2016, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
As soon as I'm able I will post some pictures but it looks a little rough on the outside. I actually just found another one on Craigslist for only $35 obo but it's a little over an hour drive away and not currently running. I may still try and pick it up to combine the best parts from both into a super blower. Seems to me like these have very cool little motors in them but I couldn't find any specs on them like cc or rpm at different throttle settings
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes ih8thepackers liked this post
post #6 of 8 Old 10-12-2016, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 392
Thanks (Received): 453
Likes (Given): 2523
Likes (Received): 857
to SBF willowTcrazy

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!
post #7 of 8 Old 10-13-2016, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 553
Thanks (Received): 222
Likes (Given): 584
Likes (Received): 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by willowTcrazy View Post
As soon as I'm able I will post some pictures but it looks a little rough on the outside. I actually just found another one on Craigslist for only $35 obo but it's a little over an hour drive away and not currently running. I may still try and pick it up to combine the best parts from both into a super blower. Seems to me like these have very cool little motors in them but I couldn't find any specs on them like cc or rpm at different throttle settings
Hey, just do what I do when I have to travel a bit to pick something up. Look for good restaurants, shops, and maybe micro breweries, if you are into such things, and make an outing of it for the family. Remember to drink responsibly if you do the micro brew thing.

The engines are the old tried and true two strokes that Jacobsen made for decades. Look for information about their 321 engine. The biggest complaint I've ever heard about the SnoBurst is the fact that the carb is down at the bottom of the engine, and can be subject to getting iced up, and is hard to get to to service.

1999 Honda HS622T
1998 Toro PowerliteE
1980 Toro 1132
Yooper Scooper....year unknown

Come join us on My Lawnmower Forum

Last edited by bwdbrn1; 10-13-2016 at 10:45 AM.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-10-2017, 05:50 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 7
Likes (Received): 5
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwdbrn1 View Post
Hey, just do what I do when I have to travel a bit to pick something up. Look for good restaurants, shops, and maybe micro breweries, if you are into such things, and make an outing of it for the family. Remember to drink responsibly if you do the micro brew thing.

The engines are the old tried and true two strokes that Jacobsen made for decades. Look for information about their 321 engine. The biggest complaint I've ever heard about the SnoBurst is the fact that the carb is down at the bottom of the engine, and can be subject to getting iced up, and is hard to get to to service.
I'm looking into the sno-Burst right now as well. The reason is because of that design single stage. I prefer it. One guy is selling one for $100 it says electronic ignition on the sticker on the top cover where its says sno-burst, the other one for sale is $50. It looks identical except the sticker does not say electronic ignition and on the control panel it says power burst with a large bubble on the one that says electronic ignition their is just a small circle around the words power burst on the control panel. How do I find out if they are both electronic or if one has points. I would prefer electronic ignition because its more reliable. Also it doesnt have to be a Jacobson I just need a good single stage that has the front air vaine design and two flat rubber paddles over the circular auger style. What do you recommend as far as brand for one that design? So far all the ones I've seen were 3hp is fine the Jac had a diaphragm carb another I saw had a Tecumseh with a more reliable bowl carb up higher. Thank's

1971 Ariens Sno-Thro 7/24 (Backup unit)
1971 Ariens Sno-Thro 32 wide Predator 212cc (2nd unit)
2002 Snapper 8246 (Series 6) (Main unit)

Last edited by FearlessFront; 01-10-2017 at 06:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page