2 Cycle starting problems - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Snowmobile Escrow

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2010, 07:11 PM   #1

Angry 2 Cycle starting problems

Well......I'll start out the first thread for lawnboy
I have a little 2 cycle ST320e lawnboy snowblower, the
M# is 55380, I'm just wondering if anyone know's where to pick up a
carb rebuilt kit for it.
I had it running once last year then it sat untill today.
Added gas choked it, primed it, but it won't fire
Figure the carb is the issue? I didn't check for spark so I will do that tommorrow, any other ideas???

Thanks
Guys
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2010, 06:34 AM   #2
Super Moderator

I dont know a ton about the lawnboys realy, and have only heard of one or two snowblowers made by them, but Im going to assume that the powerhead is the same as the lawnmowers. I would defently check spark. From what I have experanced with my old Lawnboy, and heard about others, it seems a lot more common to lose spark, then have a plugged carb.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-27-2010, 09:29 AM   #3

My experience with small 2 strokes is limited to weed whackers and leaf blowers. I find that many of them simply need the carb cleaned with a spray cleaner like gumout. If you determine you have spark a good carb cleaning could help.
Old 11-27-2010, 01:55 PM   #4

Hello, Perfs6, and welcome to the Snowblower forum.

Shouldn't have any problem getting your machine up and running, I wouldn't think. Especially since you had it running in the past.

First, make sure you have spark. If not, that isn't as hard a project as you might think. The older Lawnboy power heads used a coil that was pretty generic to machines of their time and are still available at NAPA, and fairly reasonable as well. Just take your old one in with you and they should be able to match it up. Might not have it in stock but probably have it for you over night.

The carb on these machines are relatively simple as well. Sometimes a Lawnboy (Toro now) dealer can fix you up with parts as needed, but at first I would just try a good cleaning. Might not even be anything other than a clogged jet. A little spray cleaner should clear that up fairly well.

Start with that, and if you have any other problems or questions, please let us know on the forum. The admins or moderators have quite an extensive network of folks that would be glad to help out. Just ask one of them to give us a holler if you don't get an answer to any questions in a timely fashion. I know they are ready to help out by keeping the information flowing. Good Luck!
Old 11-27-2010, 05:52 PM   #5

Thanks for the help guys! Didn't get to work on it yet but planning on it soon,
now that I know where to start!
I'll let ya all know what is going on, hopefully tommorrow!

Thanks again
Old 11-29-2010, 09:25 PM   #6

use denatured alcohol instead,
carb cleaner eats the diaphragm in those carbs clean thru,
they are really frail.
use one of those duster cans for computers to blow out the passages.
carb kits go by motor mod#
likely its a tecumseh engine
Old 11-30-2010, 07:46 AM   #7
Super Moderator

I believe your Lawn Boy has a Tecumseh AH600 engine on it. Best place to get your parts would be your friendly Toro dealer, or small engine shop that does work on Tecumsehs.

Here's a manual that covers that engine.
http://www.cpdonline.com/692508.pdf
Old 11-30-2010, 04:51 PM   #8

After one of your attempts to start the machine without success, remove the spark plug.
A wet plug indicates you are getting gas.
This could mean no spark or a bad spark plug so checking for spark would be a good place to start. If you have spark at the plug, you may have bad gas.
A little starting fluid might get the engine running long enough to eliminate a spark problem. It might also tell you if you have bad gas.
Don't run the engine for any length of time on the starting fluid since it will not have any oil in it for lubrication.

A dry plug indicates you are not getting gas. That could mean a plugged carb or even something so simple as the fuel valve being turned off or no gas in the tank.

Last edited by CharlesW; 11-30-2010 at 04:54 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:31 PM   #9

You guys are Awesome!!!!!! But......I've kinda been gettin my but kicked at work and I have no update for ya'll Sorry!
I hope to be back to a normal life after this week
The info you guys are givin is AWESOME!!!!!!
The snows flyin and the wife is yellin
**** I need to fix the blower!!!!!
Old 12-15-2010, 11:12 AM   #10

easy way to test the carb.........put about a teaspoon full of premix direct in the cylinder....if it fires its the carb
or put it directly into the carb throat
if it fires, its the carb or some kind of fuel supply issue

Use a spark tester to check spark, just grounding will not tell you if you have sufficient spark, only that an electrical charge is being sent from the ignition.
It could be too weak to ignite the premix.
I use 2 different testers to make sure of sufficient spark. In engineering terms the spark must be capable of jumping a gap .167 wide to be sufficient to ignite the fuel/air mix. They are a very cheap tool......$9.95.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement