LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 01-07-2017, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
10.5hp Yardworks wont start

Hey all, Ive been browsing for a week tryign to get this figured out. I have a 10.5hp tecumseh HMSK105 that I got for free. Its been sitting for a couple years.

I have drained old gas (It was green lol) replaced main fuel line, new plug and pulled carb apart. I havent rebuilt it yet. Compression on about 4 pulls was 65 (cold ) So I figure its worth putting some cash into. I did replace the throttle control as it was seized up.

I did get it to run once by dumping fuel in the chamber but it was lean and muffler got red pretty quick so I shut it down. Since then it hasnt ran. Ive clean the low speed jet, main jet, vent on side of carb, verified float position, bowl gasket looks pretty new(no chunks ect falling off). I couldnt get the emulsion tube out but confirmed that liquid passes through.

Plug is wet, primer fills bowl very quick and fuel leaks out the carb opening if not careful.
I have spark (felt it by mistake lol) but im not sure if its strong enough. Its more on the orange side and not blue. but I have no idea if thats enough. I will check air gaps and flywheel stuff when I have a chance. Im stumped, this is my first go at a small engine but I am skilled at automobile engines. Ive done alot of EFI tuning in the past but carbs are new to me . Any other thoughts or things to check? My back is toast from all the snow this year.

Oh and the electric start, does it need to be grounded or anything? It doesnt do anything when plugged in, not a peep. Id like to get it working. on a side note the wiring on this has been messed with. there is a 2 conductor wire thats cut near where the fule line runs. not sure if this was for the light or something. I didnt worry to much about it as it has ran in the past and I have spark. Ground out coil and spark goes away.

Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-07-2017, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I will take a video tonight of the spark to let you guys see it.
post #3 of 18 Old 01-07-2017, 03:04 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Received): 13
Weak spark may be coil, or just clean the magnets on flywheel (older engines have points behind flywheel). Did u rebuild carb with kit or just clean whats there? Theres welch plugs that need to be removed with small gas passages behind them. Kits have new welch plugs. Ive used a few new no name replacement carbs off ebay that worked great for me, and they come with adjustable jets. The cut wires you see are probably for a light. Ground wires for shut down are usually green and by the carb.

-efisher-
post #4 of 18 Old 01-07-2017, 03:07 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 31
Likes (Received): 18
You would probably be best to get a new carb. As for the starter. Sometimes the gear kind of gets stuck on the shaft. You will have to take it off and free up the gear on the shaft. I usually put a light grease on it. If the starter doesn't do anything at all. Plug it in and push the button and tap the motor with a hammer, it may have stuck a bit, from sitting.

Ariens ST11528LE
Honda HS520
post #5 of 18 Old 01-08-2017, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I cleaned what was there, I didnt take the plug out. I have found a carb on ebay for 20bucks CAD so I may try that out. It does have a coil so I guess thats my next step. I will check the magnets ect and air gap. Wierd thing is it did run that one time lol

Thanks for the pointers.
post #6 of 18 Old 01-08-2017, 10:16 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Of its a coil id put that on bottom of list, try to get a carb with the adjustable bowl jet. Make sure you use the same hole for the linkage.

-efisher-
post #7 of 18 Old 01-09-2017, 05:13 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 31
Likes (Received): 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by machine4321 View Post
I cleaned what was there, I didnt take the plug out. I have found a carb on ebay for 20bucks CAD so I may try that out. It does have a coil so I guess thats my next step. I will check the magnets ect and air gap. Wierd thing is it did run that one time lol

Thanks for the pointers.
Did you actually check for spark? Pull the plug and put the plug back into the plug wire. And lay the plug on the head and pull it over, and check for spark. Make sure the throttle lever is in the run position.

Ariens ST11528LE
Honda HS520
post #8 of 18 Old 01-09-2017, 05:38 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Received): 8
As Motor City said but I'd like to add make sure the head or whatever you lay the plug on has no oxidation or paint. Weak spark can also be caused by a coil, as others said above, with shorted turn(s) or moisture in the winding. Also if there's a ground wire coming from the coil to some part of the block make sure that connection is clean, some coils are grounded through the core or frame via the mounting bolts so cleaning this area may help.

A good spark should jump a gap well beyond that of a spark plug. I use a spark tester Mine is an older version of this one. This video shows well how much of a gap it should jump:

Good luck

2003 Snapper I55224 - 5.5HP Tecumseh OHV OHSK55 (195cc)
2016 Toro Snowmaster 724QXE - Loncin 212cc

Last edited by Blosumsno; 01-09-2017 at 07:08 PM. Reason: added video reference and reference to spark tester
post #9 of 18 Old 01-09-2017, 05:55 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 24
Likes (Received): 44
Harbor Freight has a nice $5 Spark Plug tester that light up with spark, and it turns it into a one person job.

Nifty.

Inline Ignition Spark Checker
e.fisher26 likes this.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks georgewny thanked for this post
post #10 of 18 Old 01-09-2017, 06:35 PM

Post Thanks / Like
I have that tester, works good

-efisher-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page