Snowblower Forum banner

Leaf blowers

24K views 51 replies 44 participants last post by  140278 
#1 ·
How many others use leaf blowers?

I've wanted to get one for light dustings for the past few years, and finally have one. For the past several years I've kept talking myself out of getting one. Tell my self I don't need to spend a lot of money on a quality brand one, but at the same time not wanting to spend any money on a lower quality one either. My Dad bought himself a new blower last fall and gave me his old Echo that has been sitting in the garage for years. A good carb cleaning, fresh gas, a new spark plug, and a little time messing with the mixture screws and she is runnin like a champ.

#3 ·
I use a leaf blower if the snow is "right". The blower works well on anything less that 6" if the snow is "dry". Like most things a blower with more power is better.
It really does a better job that my 2-stage walk behind as it leave the pavement spotless.

#6 ·
I have one of the Stihl 550 back pack blowers. It has no problem with 6 inches of "light" snow. One thing to watch... don't walk or drive over the surface to be cleaned as it will pack the snow and prevent the blower form doing its' job.
Of interest are all of the animal prints on the cleaned pavement, white foot prints going in all directions. Very cool.

#7 ·
I don't think my old Echo would hang with a big dog like yours. If it works well on light fluff under 1" I'll be happy. But than again any blower should be able to handle that.

I'll have to watch for the prints, I bet that would be pretty cool to see.

#8 ·
get a sheet of 5/8'' chipboard,cut a piece 12" x 4'wide attach an old ''lawnmower style'' (junker)handle to the board and you then have the best tool to ''push'' the light dry snow with ease....little to no cost,no gas,no oil,no noise,very quick,lightweight,easy to store,no mess. i been doing this for 4 years now with great success.Better than any blower that i have used to do the same task. i dont paint it or stain it...nothing. and as the board wears away it actually scrapes the cement pavement better,even better than standard boards.paint it if you like, and it will look store bought.I actually have 3 pushers,all of different widths.

#10 · (Edited)
I have "2" commercial grade gasoline hand blowers. One is a Redmax......the other is a Stihl. They work excellent for blowing snow off cars and driveways if it is light and fluffy and 1 inch or less. If you are in the cleanup business and have back packs........that would be much better. A Stihl 600 or top of the line Redmax would do just fine in 3-4 inches or less....I am quite sure....:D PS......I am not sure why we brought up this old topic as it seem irreverent today.

#11 ·
I had no luck with leaf blowers used for snow. No luck at all but I live < 5 miles from salt water and my snow is usually very wet and dense. More like cake batter than anything else. When it's really bad, instead of sounding like snow when it lands, it sounds like small wet critters (imagine frogs) hitting the ground.
Imagine my surprise at powder!

#12 ·
i never though about using the leafblower for snow removal cause i don't use it much for leaves. i got tired of carrying it and got a yardvac. i had a toro powerlite for a few years ( until it was stolen ) that i used unless something bigger was needed

#15 ·
YEP, used my leaf blower for years to clean sidewalk and deck of light snow. Never had any leaves to speak of, bought the blower for light snow and to clean out the garage on occasion. Back out the cars and let er blow, much easier and quicker than a broom...

Airshot

#16 · (Edited)
It's an odd concept to hear, using a leaf blower for snow, but I tried it out earlier on in the season. I have a Shindaiwa EB 802 backpack leaf blower and let me tell ya what...not only did it blow the snow from one end of my deck to the other, but I had a heck of a time out there with it. They're pretty amusing to use, and even funnier to see the looks that my neighbors gave me

#17 ·
I use my Stihl backpack blower a lot to move snow. Its fantastic for clearing off the cars and the snow from around them. The drive will be down to bare pavement if its not too wet.
I have done the entire drive with the blower if its less then about 4 inches and light and fluffy.

I also use it to blow off the snow blower when I am finished, it keeps a lot of melted snow off the floor.

#19 · (Edited)
I have a -HUSQVARNA 580BFS- (same as the -Redmax EBZ8500-) and it pretty much kicks BUTT for blowing leaves and/or light snow events! Everything I have read when researching them, it's currently the most powerful blower on the market. I did end up opening up the exhaust on it some which gave it a few hundred more RPM's at WOT (~7,260 vs ~7,000 stock).

-SOMEONE HAVING SOME FUN WITH IT-

#21 ·
I have a gas powered Toro leaf blower for powder snow (and leaves) and a Toro electric with a short nozzle to blow water off the cars after washing them. It helps when you plan on waxing the cars immediately after the washing. My neighbors think I'm crazy also, but it works.:D

#22 ·
The 1st time I tried using the Redmax 8000 to blow powdery snow it did not go well because the snow seemed to get moist & heavy to the point it would simply not move.

For today's storm I gave it another shot. Blew snow off the drive and cars this morning around 08:30 and so far did 3 times ending at 12:30. Seems to be working very well taking about 15 minutes per time, Cleans right down to the pavement.

Neighbor came out & gave me strange look :eek:

#23 ·
The 1st time I tried using the Redmax 8000 to blow powdery snow it did not go well because the snow seemed to get moist & heavy to the point it would simply not move.

For today's storm I gave it another shot. Blew snow off the drive and cars this morning around 08:30 and so far did 3 times. Seems to be working very well taking about 15 minutes per time, Cleans right down to the pavement.

Neighbor came out & gave me strange look :eek:
I've had very good luck using my 580BFS (Redmax 8500) for light snow events. It also works good for blowing off the snow blowers after use. Although I don't start it up just for that purpose.

#26 ·
A few weeks ago I bought a leaf blower primarily to blow snow off the truck. (Can't resist a new power tool either. :)) The direction the truck sits on the street always results in the prevailing winds to drift snow off the roof and down into the cowl below the windshield. A snow brush doesn't get it all so I thought I'd try a blower. I'm hoping it'll be handy for removing light dustings on the sidewalk and driveway too. I might have to get a restriction nozzle to focus the air but I'll see how it goes with the supplied nozzle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.