Snowblower Forum banner

When the city can't do it....Fergy saves the day

4K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  brassmonkey 
#1 · (Edited)
Thought I'd share a pic or two from a few winters ago. Horrendous snowstorm blew through, and as we live on a dead end street we are always last to see a snow plow.

Day two and still no sign of help...

As it happened I had just purchased an old Ferguson TEA20 (circa 1952) which hadn't yet been hauled up north. Came with a dirt blade in the deal so..I thought...why not?

She took a looong time to warm up and boy that hydraulic fluid is thick in the cold but eventually I could use the three point hitch without stalling, and we were off!

The old girl huffed and chugged, slipped and slid, but four hours later she had cleared most of the neighbours driveways and a stretch of street out to where it met clean pavement on the main road. Those tires are loaded with calcium for weight but chains would have really made the difference. Real heavy, wet stuff that was.

I had folks coming out to gawk and cheer me on. Some tried to tuck money in my coat for fuel as I went by.

One delightful elderly lady even brought me out a wee glass o brandy if you can believe it.

When all was said and done I had to soak in a tub for an hour before I could feel my nether regions again thanks to that old steel seat (actually the event was inspiration for my screen name on this site...) but it sure was fun!

See less See more
#6 ·
Thanks guys - I have a rather embarrassing follow up to this story.

I had nil experience using a blade behind a tractor to that point and didn't realize that snow blades have feet or skids I guess. The edge of that blade you see there had none so was contacting the pavement completely.

Although the hydraulic system is too primitive to apply any down pressure, the weight alone was enough to scar up a couple of driveways, and worse....I ripped the heads of several water main valve caps clean off. Didn't find two of em til the spring! :facepalm_zpsdj194qh

I offered to fix any damage but the neighbours wouldn't hear of it they were so thrilled to just get out of the street.

Sigh....live and learn. :blush:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.