Best salt spreading method? - Page 2 - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 14 Old 01-11-2017, 01:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 2
I own the Scotts Turf Builder Mini Broadcast Spreader. That's the $30 green plastic one you'll find at all the big box stores.

Now before someone gives me guff about using a grass seed/fertiliser spreader for salt, let me remind you that the big box stores place this item into their snow clearing section every single winter season, so some people are going to buy it for salt.

For this to work you have to set the rate setting fairly high. At lower settings (below 10) the salt just clumps at the gate and doesn't spread at all. You'll also want to mix sand into your salt to stop clumping further. The sand acts almost like a lubricant for the salt.

With the sand and the high rate setting the thing basically "works." However the plastic wheels provide zero traction on ice, and without the wheels spinning it doesn't spread. So it is only useful on already cleared surfaces to stop future ice buildup (rather than combating existing ice).

I wouldn't recommend it, but if you already own one and have problems you may be able to make it better with some of the tips above.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 Old 01-11-2017, 02:11 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 58
Thanks (Received): 62
Likes (Given): 125
Likes (Received): 98
I'll apply salt by hand using a 1/2 gallon plastic milk container cut in half and just toss the melting product in select areas. If the scenario is more serious, I'll use the broadcast spreader. I've learned that spreader needs to be rinsed after use. The rate of corrosion is just amazing...
post #13 of 14 Old 01-13-2017, 01:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 10
on those plastic wheels.. use small hex head screws and make studded tires.. so to speak.. even if u re-use on your lawn in the summertime.. it wont hamper anything.. and youll be able to salt your drive even if it becomes an ice rink... *looks outside... * yup.. im there! lol

1984 Columbia 10hp-33in
2015 Columbia 420cc 28in 3xHD
post #14 of 14 Old 01-13-2017, 05:04 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
I have dedicated an old Ortho all poly broadcast spreader to salt work. No fertilizer cross reference for it. Doesn't clump and broadcasts well. Wheels slip somewhat on glare ice though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page