Princess Auto: PowerFist vs Pro.Point Engines - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 Old 02-19-2017, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 15
Princess Auto: PowerFist vs Pro.Point Engines

I was into my local Princess Auto recently and decided to check out the available engine options, not that I'm in the market for one, but I was curious to what was available here in Canada. After all, Princess Auto has been around in retail form since 1977.

Unlike the Predator option at Harbor Freight in the US we have 2 options, well really 3. There's the in house PowerFist brand, now more recently the higher end line of tools and engines by Pro.Point and of course Honda GX. At first glance you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference aside from price and name. Why spend 2-4x the amount on an equivalent Honda sticker when that fist bump blue knock-off is going to get you out the door for significantly less and perhaps provide the same level of reliability and power. Considering they're $100 less than the Pro.Point and often $200 cheaper due to ongoing sales why go grey when you can score a better deal with blue?

Well, there's one significant difference the Pro.Point has that the PowerFist may not and that is a Cast Iron Sleeve. I'm waiting on an e-mail reply back from Princess Auto about the type of cylinder liner used in the PowerFist engines, as there's no mention on the spec's either on the box or the website. If it's aluminum essentially the PowerFist=Honda GC and the Pro.Point=Honda GX due to the cast iron sleeve. If it turns out they're both lined with cast iron then you're just paying more for a sticker, grey paint and perhaps electric start.

180cc PowerFist vs 163cc Honda GX

208cc PowerFist vs 208cc Pro.Point

270cc Honda GX vs PowerFist 270cc

They also have a winterized shrouded engine, if that's of any interest.

YAMAHA YS624 |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Bolensforever thanked for this post
Likes Bolensforever liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 02-19-2017, 12:54 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 27
Thanks (Received): 79
Likes (Given): 412
Likes (Received): 108
? no all honda gx clones have a cast iron sleeve, pro point and powerfist are both honda clones
Dauntae likes this.
post #3 of 37 Old 02-19-2017, 02:15 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 16
I'd look for a pressure washer with a blown pump. I picked up a Honda GX series engine for twenty bucks from a scrap yard near me that ran fine (they never tested it).
post #4 of 37 Old 02-19-2017, 05:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 19
GregNL
What about the Subaru, and Robin engines Princess Auto carries? I've always heard the Subaru was the best quality option, even over Honda! Still pricey.
+9 today Cheers

Bob
Nova Scotia
Yamaha YT624EJ 24" 6hp
Made in Canada Yardworks 30" 31BE6B3H515 10.5hp Tecumseh 358cc HMSK105 Eng,
Honda FG110 Tiller, HHT35SU Trimmer, HT3813 Tractor
Ariens LM21SW Mower, Troy-Bilt CSV70 Shredder/Vac.
post #5 of 37 Old 02-19-2017, 08:11 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 21
just a guess but it seems unlikely any small engine is going to be anything but an aluminum cylinder with a cast iron liner. Hard coatings like Nikasil (silicon carbide) is too pricey and the benefits negligible for low RPM engines.
post #6 of 37 Old 02-19-2017, 08:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 9
Garage
oh dear god...... not another one of these threads......

"Itís not so much as to so little as to do with what everything is..."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 37 Old 02-20-2017, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
So, I received a reply back this evening regarding the difference in cylinder liners between the PowerFist and Pro.Point engines:

Quote:
Hello,

The Pro-point engines have a cast iron sleeve and the power fist engines is aluminum.

Regards,

F** M****
Customer Service Representative
====================================
Mail Order
Princess Auto Ltd.
Box 1005
Winnipeg, MB R3C 2W7
Toll Free; 1-800-665-8685
Toll Free Fax: 1-800-265-4212
E-mail: mailorder@princessauto.com
The PowerFist do indeed have an aluminum liner. If you're looking for a Canadian version of the Predator or Honda GX Clone then Pro.Point is one option. How they compare otherwise I'm not sure.

YAMAHA YS624 |
post #8 of 37 Old 02-20-2017, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by clamdigger View Post
GregNL
What about the Subaru, and Robin engines Princess Auto carries? I've always heard the Subaru was the best quality option, even over Honda! Still pricey.
They seem rather large for the application on a snowblower but it may fit fine. They're usually not out of box like the rest, or at least not recently, so it's hard to determine and as you said they're pricey. I'd buy a new Yamaha snowblower before buying a Subaru to repower it.

YAMAHA YS624 |
post #9 of 37 Old 02-21-2017, 12:40 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 27
Thanks (Received): 79
Likes (Given): 412
Likes (Received): 108
funny how they advertised the powerfist as being cast iron a year or so ago, but now they have this new pro point engine for twice as much with a cast iron liner and the powerfist series that previously had them are the same item number as last years powerfist dont have one anymore. i call bs. buy one, pull the head, and ill bet you that cast iron liner will still be there. subaru engine are decent engine but dont beat honda for durability and reliability. its a pain to get parts for them too, i think its like 80-100 bucks for an oem carb with a honda you can buy a carb for like 12 bucks
post #10 of 37 Old 02-21-2017, 09:56 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 9
Likes (Received): 1
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43128 View Post
funny how they advertised the powerfist as being cast iron a year or so ago, but now they have this new pro point engine for twice as much with a cast iron liner and the powerfist series that previously had them are the same item number as last years powerfist dont have one anymore. i call bs. buy one, pull the head, and ill bet you that cast iron liner will still be there. subaru engine are decent engine but dont beat honda for durability and reliability. its a pain to get parts for them too, i think its like 80-100 bucks for an oem carb with a honda you can buy a carb for like 12 bucks
What a timely post, I just bought a 420 CC Power Fist because they didn't have the Pro Point in stock. Now the Pro Points are in and they are on sale for $399, 70 more than the $329 I paid for the Power Fist. I was trying to figure out how to get to Saint John or Moncton to pay the difference and swap, but I had a nagging suspicion about what 43128 said myself. When these clones first came out hey were hailed as having a cast iron sleeve but not anymore and I was wondering if the cheap one still had it as well.

Tonight I will pull the head off mine and check it, a magnet should do the trick! I'm betting the Power Fist has the cast iron sleeve and the extra $100 is for Grey paint instead of Blue!

Oh, by the way, on the PA site, open the pdf manuals for each motor. Look at the parts list. Both Power Fist and Pro Point use the same part number for the crankcase (DJ190F-11100-BE).

If one has a sleeve and the other doesn't, shouldn't they be different numbers?

I'll post the results of my examination tonight.
43128 and GregNL like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page