Snowblower Forum banner

Boston / So. NH Shop that will Re-Power a 32" Ariens??

5K views 28 replies 14 participants last post by  drmerdp 
#1 · (Edited)
Good Day

I have a 1974 Ariens 924013 32" with a Tecumseh HMSK80-155377u 8HP engine that has seized. The blower appears to be in otherwise very serviceable condition so I'd like to repower with a new replacement engine, though I do not have the skill to do so.

Can anyone recommend a shop or independent mechanic in the Southern NH or Merrimac Valley of Mass (I am in Hampstead NH) who has done repowers? I know any shop will probably say they can do it, but I'm a bit more comfortable with one who has done some before, and would really like one who is active and known on this forum.

I'd also be curious for informed estimates as to what a fair price might be for a repower, and whether a new 8 HP would be sufficient (impeller kit has been installed). My old Tecumseh 8 HP had no guts, but I do not know if it was underpowered from the get-go, or simply tired before its final demise. My instinct is to upgrade to 10 or even 12 HP, but I'd defer to the experts.

My use case is clearing an 80 yard long blacktop driveway with a 15 yard by 15 yard parking pad at the end. I'd really like ample power to clear an entire 32" swath; even with 15-18 inches of snow. Before my engine died, I'd be lucky to cut a 6 inch swath before bogging / clogging.

Thanks for any thoughts you can offer.

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds like your instincts to go with either a 10, or 12 HP are right. That's quite a bit of snow to be able to clear without the engine getting tired. People have had very good results with the Harbor Freight Predator engines. A 9 hp Predator would probably be sufficient. They tend to have more guts than their rated HP.

#11 · (Edited)
I agree but I'd go with at least a 10, if not a 12 or 15. If you want to clear a full 32" path in any condition, I'd look at 12-13hp and 15hp is not an overkill.

I have a 32" John Deere with a Tecumseh 10hp and it's fine for the snow we get but times I wished I had more HP so I could go faster, however the snowblower can only process so much snow.

#18 ·
I am thrilled to have found this forum, and for your endorsements of Jackmels. In four days time I went from not knowing what to do, to having a repowered unit ready for the next storm. I contemplated buying a new machine but know enough about "vintage" items to realize my old Ariens has good bones. I own a 1968 28-foot sailboat and though its design is dated, its sturdy construction beats anything made today.

This morning I took my '74 924012 32" to Jack and he swapped in a 9 HP Tecumseh, changed out the impeller bearing, swapped in a long chute, and gave me a complete maintenance lesson while he checked and cleaned and lubed everything. All in under 2 hours and for exactly what he said he'd charge (actually less, he threw in the bearing change).

Naturally, one never knows what sort of life a used engine will provide, but that was my choice as Jack would have happily installed any engine I provided. I contemplated a 10 HP Predator, but in the end, Jack's price and an American-made good-condition Tecumseh prevailed.

I do not have a "before" picture, but here is the "after" picture with the long chute and engine swap. (I hope this works)

One gets a sense chatting and dealing with people if he is honest and competent. Jack is clearly both and I thank you all for steering me his way.

#20 ·
Thanks Hank, It was a Pleasure to Work on Your Machine, and Showing You the Maintenance Basics. And, Thanks for the Accolades from the Group.

#21 ·
All in 2 hours? That includes instructions, maintenance basics, and chatting? He's fast and committed. He's a worker.

Reactions: Jackmels and uberT
#25 ·
Gotcha... I stumbled on a amazingly throrough Website deticated to Ariens snowblowers.

The Ariens 1960's and 1970's Sno-Thro info site.

Looks like my ideal old Ariens would be a model 924040.

Large wheel 24" machine, that I would compliment with a GX270. Not that I need another project, but it would be nice.

#27 ·
Jack did all that in 2 hours? Wow!!

The machine sounds great. I will confess to being in the group that would be open to even more power, but you've got your machine running again, and it's more powerful than it was before. And it was done by someone you can trust, and who has a lot of experience. That's awesome.

Gotcha... I stumbled on a amazingly throrough Website deticated to Ariens snowblowers.

The Ariens 1960's and 1970's Sno-Thro info site.
I believe that is sscotsman's site. He has clearly put a LOT of work into it!

#29 ·
That's great that the 212cc is working in your applications. But... 4500rpm is beyond the engines recommended operating rpm. Regardless of the rotating assembly be more stout then any Tecumseh, the flywheels are the weak point. They can grenade at high RPMs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.