My first Snow Blower: A Snapper 5/22 - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
 12Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 Old 03-27-2017, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
RickDangerous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: St. Albans, Vermont, USA
Posts: 44
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 0
Garage
My first Snow Blower: A Snapper 5/22

Hello, my name is Rick and i'm new to this forum (was sure to post an introduction.) As a new home owner of about six months, I finally decided to get a snowblower after shoveling my 60ft driveway a few times. We have a two car garage so the driveway is somewhat wide as well (if you are shoveling it sure seems like it anyway!)

After looking around a bit a friend offered me his Snapper 5/22 free of charge. It is currently at the local small engine repair place getting a full tune up. I asked the owner to change the oil and plugs, and to check the belts, grease whatever needs greasing, etc. I will probably to a little paint work on it this summer, just where there are touches of rust...which luckily is not too many places. I can't figure out how to add a picture yet, but will soon. It looks like this one:

https://cd5a26cb38e2f692acf4-1755b9e...b2c5d4/3-1.jpg

Questions I have:

-What years were these made

-Are they generally reliable and favorably regarded among snow blower enthusiasts?

-Is Snapper generally considered to be an entry level, mid grade, or high end grade of power equipment?

-Anything I can do besides "tune ups" at the shop to keep this thing running tip top?

-What is the most snow I can blow with this thing? Should I keep it under 12' inches?

-Are electric start kits worth the trouble of trying to keep another battery charged? I don't really mind pull starting as long as it works.

Thanks, and will try to take and post some pictures as soon as I get it back from the shop.
RickDangerous is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 38 Old 03-27-2017, 02:51 PM
Senior Member
 
JLawrence08648's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Lawrenceville NJ
Posts: 428
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 14
Thanks (Received): 19
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDangerous View Post
Hello, my name is Rick and i'm new to this forum (was sure to post an introduction.) As a new home owner of about six months, I finally decided to get a snowblower after shoveling my 60ft driveway a few times. We have a two car garage so the driveway is somewhat wide as well (if you are shoveling it sure seems like it anyway!)

After looking around a bit a friend offered me his Snapper 5/22 free of charge. It is currently at the local small engine repair place getting a full tune up. I asked the owner to change the oil and plugs, and to check the belts, grease whatever needs greasing, etc. I will probably to a little paint work on it this summer, just where there are touches of rust...which luckily is not too many places. I can't figure out how to add a picture yet, but will soon. It looks like this one:

https://cd5a26cb38e2f692acf4-1755b9e...b2c5d4/3-1.jpg

Questions I have:

-What years were these made

-Are they generally reliable and favorably regarded among snow blower enthusiasts?

-Is Snapper generally considered to be an entry level, mid grade, or high end grade of power equipment?

-Anything I can do besides "tune ups" at the shop to keep this thing running tip top?

-What is the most snow I can blow with this thing? Should I keep it under 12' inches?

-Are electric start kits worth the trouble of trying to keep another battery charged? I don't really mind pull starting as long as it works.

Thanks, and will try to take and post some pictures as soon as I get it back from the shop.
Yours is entry level to lower mid level but don't worry about it, it's fine. You have a 5hp Tecumseh engine, a good basic engine that everyone on here owns.

I don't know what your shop does in a tune-up, use synthetic oil, have the wheels removed and axles sanded and greased. I only replace belts if they are bad, not routinely. I never replace a spark plug. Ask for the parts back. The shop may give you someone else's parts!

You can do 24" of snow with that. In wet snow the chute will clog. You have a tall chute which is nice. You will slow at the EOD end of driveway.

Electric start is just that, electric start, no battery, you have to plug it in to an extension cord.

After using it, you decide if you want to upgrade. Careful of new with the pretty!
RickDangerous likes this.

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, electric snow shovel, all for sale
JLawrence08648 is online now  
post #3 of 38 Old 03-27-2017, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
RickDangerous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: St. Albans, Vermont, USA
Posts: 44
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 0
Garage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLawrence08648 View Post
Yours is entry level to lower mid level but don't worry about it, it's fine. You have a 5hp Tecumseh engine, a good basic engine that everyone on here owns.

I don't know what your shop does in a tune-up, use synthetic oil, have the wheels removed and axles sanded and greased. I only replace belts if they are bad, not routinely. I never replace a spark plug. Ask for the parts back. The shop may give you someone else's parts!

You can do 24" of snow with that. In wet snow the chute will clog. You have a tall chute which is nice. You will slow at the EOD end of driveway.

Electric start is just that, electric start, no battery, you have to plug it in to an extension cord.

After using it, you decide if you want to upgrade. Careful of new with the pretty!
Thanks; Super helpful all around!

I really don't mind doing a pull start as long as the machine actually starts after 2-3 pulls, so I will keep it as is for a while.

24" snow...wow. We recently had about 36" here in VT. What i've been told the strategy is when the snow is expected to exceed your blower's capacity, is to go out and blow mid storm, and then finish up the other half when the storm is done. Thanks again JL
RickDangerous is offline  
post #4 of 38 Old 03-27-2017, 04:24 PM
Senior Member
 
JLawrence08648's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Lawrenceville NJ
Posts: 428
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 14
Thanks (Received): 19
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDangerous View Post
24" snow...wow. We recently had about 36" here in VT. What i've been told the strategy is when the snow is expected to exceed your blower's capacity, is to go out and blow mid storm, and then finish up the other half when the storm is done. Thanks again JL
I like to go out once! And have done 26" with my Ariens 5hp 22" easily though slower and dry. I have found when I go out and do 12" of a 24" snow when I go out later the 12" has filled in and back to 24". That's my sidewalk, the driveway is different and it as bad.

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, electric snow shovel, all for sale
JLawrence08648 is online now  
post #5 of 38 Old 03-27-2017, 04:57 PM
Moderator
 
detdrbuzzard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: 42.23n/83.33w/636
Posts: 5,919
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 169
Thanks (Received): 246
Likes (Given): 974
Likes (Received): 409
hello rick, welcome to SBF!! you can read the maintenance forums to see what others have done to their blowers with 5hp Tecumseh motors. that will save you a few bucks at the shop. if you can have the shop install an impeller kit, it will help your snapper blow more snow and not clog up when the snow is wet and heavy. being your first snowblower go slow and don't over work your machine, half bucket to 3/4 buckets of snow after the first pass
RickDangerous likes this.

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052
1-.............,TORO XL 624..............
1-............, TORO XL 824..............
william
detdrbuzzard is offline  
post #6 of 38 Old 03-27-2017, 06:23 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 402
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 15
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 23
Welcome to the forum Rick, I have almost the same exact snow blower but mine is the 6hp version, Very solid made machines and have gone through some pretty heavy snow. 2014 was when we got 4 storms in a row and no time between to melt and the first yr I had my house and got this from the old owner and wow did I put mine through a workout and it just kept going. Still use it actually. This is my brother using it before he got his new one with the impeller mod and as you can see the depth of the snow is pretty deep but I have gone through deeper with it.
RickDangerous likes this.

Craftsman 3.8hp Tecumseh single stage
Snapper 6/22 my little workhorse
Ariens ST1027LE new workhorse

Last edited by Dauntae; 03-30-2017 at 05:52 PM.
Dauntae is online now  
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes classiccat liked this post
post #7 of 38 Old 03-27-2017, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
RickDangerous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: St. Albans, Vermont, USA
Posts: 44
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 0
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauntae View Post
Welcome to the forum Rick, I have almost the same exact snow blower nut mine is the 6hp version, Very solid made machines and have gone through some pretty heavy snow. 2014 was when we got 4 storms in a row and no time between to melt and the first yr I had my house and got this from the old owner and wow did I put mine through a workout and it just kept going. Still use it actually. This is my brother using it before he got his new one with the impeller mod and as you can see the depth of the snow is pretty deep but I have gone through deeper with it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmA0oyCs4xA
Awesome! Thanks for sharing that snow looks DEEP for a little 6hp machine.

Can anyone post a link to where one can buy the impeller mod online? Or is it something that has to be fabricated or ordered through a local shop? Thanks!
RickDangerous is offline  
post #8 of 38 Old 03-27-2017, 08:25 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 402
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 15
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 23
This is basically all it is, You can make one much cheaper. Do a search on impeller mod and there will be a lot of sources to get what you need in that thread.
SNOW BLOWER IMPELLER KIT?- 1/4" 3-Blade Universal- Modifies 2-Stage Machine | eBay
RickDangerous likes this.

Craftsman 3.8hp Tecumseh single stage
Snapper 6/22 my little workhorse
Ariens ST1027LE new workhorse
Dauntae is online now  
post #9 of 38 Old 03-27-2017, 08:27 PM
Senior Member
 
JLawrence08648's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Lawrenceville NJ
Posts: 428
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 14
Thanks (Received): 19
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 38
Do a search on here, LOT of info and recently, past month or so. You can buy pre-made on eBay or Amazon or make it yourself using SBR, conveyor belting, and TSC has baling belting. Then stainless screws or bolts, washers, torque nuts, and a strip of metal.
RickDangerous likes this.

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, electric snow shovel, all for sale
JLawrence08648 is online now  
post #10 of 38 Old 03-28-2017, 09:08 AM
Senior Member
 
stromr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 350
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 11
Thanks (Received): 28
Likes (Given): 10
Likes (Received): 41
Smile My 2 cents...

Snapper is an old and revered name in lawn and garden equipment.
You have to post ten times before you can post pictures.
My advice is always use non-ethanol gas, use this website to see where in your neighborhood to buy it, Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada and add a gas stabilizer because any gas over 30 days old starts to go stale.
Secondly, sparkplugs are cheap, change your oil and sparkplug every 25 hours and you'll have a reliably starting and running machine. Don't over fill the oil, use 5w30 synthetic and run engine wide open for good lubrication because these engines have a splash lubrication system that doesn't atomize the oil well at low rpm. Enjoy!
RickDangerous likes this.
stromr is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome