Attn: Large frame Snapper owners, please share your ownership experience... - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 08-13-2016, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 17
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 36
Likes (Received): 80
Attn: Large frame Snapper owners, please share your ownership experience...

Hey everyone...

I'm looking for current or prior owners of large frame 2 stage Snapper blowers. Similar to the photos below. 1980's vintage I believe.

Could you please give me your opinions on them as far as their performance goes as well as reliability and ease of maintenance ?
Are the ground speeds too fast/slow or just right ?
Are parts still readily available ?

From my research, they are a simple, yet robust design.
I've never seen or used one in person though.
Briggs engines (some years) are a plus in my book and I like the bucket design.

I've got some time to find a good one before the snow flies.

Thanks for your input !

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 08-18-2016, 06:04 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 12
Likes (Received): 11
Garage
Hi Russkat, these large frame Snapper Snow Blowers are really great machine's. I have a series 6 that was built in 2002. Model 8246 8 horse, 24 wide, series 6. I purchased it used in 2006 when it was about 4 years old and barely used for $450 dollars. They retailed for about $1500. Mine has an 8 horsepower Tecumseh flathead engine. HMSK80. The machine has a ton of power, I have never had an issue with the engine in the 10 years I have used it and I use my machine commercially here in New Jersey. Series 6 was the final series made of these great Solid snapper snowblowers. Simplicity purchased Snapper and continued making the series 6 until 2004 when Briggs and Stratton purchased simplicity. Production came to an end on these Iconic machines at that time. The Snapper name is still in use and Briggs is making products using there name but none of their new Snowblower's come near these large frame machine's. Depending on what you plan on using your machine for weather it be residential or commercial. If your plans are residential an 8 horsepower 24 wide would be perfect. They are electric start convertible and a headlight can be added, meaning the engine is already equipped to hook those accessories up but are sold seperate. If you are planning on using it commercial I recommend a 10/30 or 11/30. 11306. Electric start, headlight, one hand operation and a chute deflector cable is all standard on the larger machine. Regardless all of these machines are excellent, meaning even if you buy an 8/24 for commercial it will get the job done and well. The series 6 did not employ any Briggs engine's but honestly the Tecumseh Snow king engine's are a little better and are workhorse engine's when it comes to winter use. You would have to look for a series 4 which they made in the mid 90's to find one with a Briggs. Believe it or not a good solid 8/24 series 6 snapper made between 2001 and 2004 used in great condition is still valued and selling for around $450 now. The 30 inch wide higher powered ones will be a little more. If I could do it again, I would buy a model 11306 because I do commercial snow removal and could use the larger bucket even more power and all the accessories standard. However when I first got my snapper it was throwing snow 50 feet its got some wear now and is throwing about 45 feet max but that is still excellent. I have used a few machine's, two 1971 Ariens Sno Thro's a 1975 Jacobsen Imperial 626 and a few others and the Snapper has performed the best overall by far. My only current issue is that the axle has no bushing supports for the axle bushing. One of my axle bushings blew out and since there are no supports the frame is the support. The axle ate away at the frame a little bit. So I have to add a bolt on bearing or bushing support to the side of the frame to repair it or I can get the whole back frame off ebay for 40 bucks but that is a big job so I will just make the repair with bolt on bushing. Mind you that was after 10 years of non stop commercial use. They are great machine's and I highly recommend them. My Snapper has made me a lot of money over the last decade, that $450 I spent in 2006 was a great investment. Those Snapper's stand up to the Ariens, Toros and other top of the line snowblower's built during that time period, they were high quality American made machines with American made engine's, the Snow King was on 90% of Snowblowers before Tecumseh went out of business 8 horse and up Tecumseh Snowking are great engine's. I have a 45 year old 7 horsepower Tecumseh Snowking on my 71 Ariens clean and still going strong. I have seen a few on craigslist in my area. I saw one that was an 11306 for $425 in rough shape but it had sold already but there are still a lot of clean 8/24 series 6 models out there, just be patient and look hard and you will find a good one and you won't regret buying one. Good luck to you and let me know how things turn out.

Last edited by FearlessFront; 08-18-2016 at 06:08 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #3 of 30 Old 08-18-2016, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for the lengthy reply, a lot a information there.
The only one nearby is a series 3 1030 and it's missing the remote chute deflector cable assembly, but otherwise in good shape.
Asking $575.00 and a month later still unsold.
post #4 of 30 Old 08-18-2016, 05:24 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Wink

No Problem, the series 3 was made around the mid 80's. At the time I do not believe they had the deflector control cable yet, you had to walk over and manually adjust the deflector on those unit's, the one other thing I don't like on the older models like those is they used the flat diamond tread tires, so you have to put chain's on the tire's to get good traction otherwise those style tire's spin out a lot, other then that the frame is exactly the same as the series 6 and they still are great machine's, on the series 4 and up they started using the Carlisle Snow hog's, which have great tread for good traction. I added chains on top of those tires for extra traction using it in commercial applications. Since it is a lot older unless it is in really good clean condition I feel $575 is a little high. One like that in really good shape would be fair for around $300 to $350. Keeping in mind you would have to either buy and add chains or get a pair of Snow Hogs to give it great traction. You could add the deflector cable to that machine now, but at the time the did not make it. That deflector cable kit is not cheap if you go to buy it new. I would keep your eyes out for a series 5 or 6. They were built from the lat 90's to 2004 and have excellent tire's standard. If your looking for a 30 wide unit the 10306 or 11306 is a very good machine, the 11306 is a monster with an OHV Tecumseh engine and really makes quick work of snow, 2, 3 feet it takes it on, because my 8 horse 24 has taken on Snow that high for many years and it really powers thru it, mine is a 24 wide so the accessories did not come with mine but the 30 wide machines on the series 5 and 6 have all of those accessories standard the machine's perform very well and have a ton of power. You should be able to find a good, clean, solid series 5 or 6, 30 wide for around 5 to 6 hundred dollars the last two series only used Tecumseh engine's but they are actually really are great engine's. Like I said, I paid $450 for my 8/24 series 6 Snapper when it was still practically brand new because it had been barely used it was 4 years old at the time and I did get a really good deal, because those machine's retailed for $1500 and those Snappers are dealer only model's not like now and they have held there value 10 years later. Keep your eye out you should be able to find a good clean one is excellent condition in that price range. They are top notch machine's just as good as the Ariens built during that time and just as good as the Toro's as well. The only thing the Toro had that Snapper didn't was that power-shift design. Other then that the Snappers were just as good and honestly they really dig in when it come's to heavy snow and it really tosses it far, top notch snow thrower's. You were smart to look into one of those late model Snapper's. They just are not building machine's like that anymore. Good luck I hope you find one. If you do once you use it to clear snow, you will be really happy you chose one when you see what those machine's are made of. Take care.
Attached Images
File Type: jpe Snapper 8246.jpe (7.1 KB, 28 views)
post #5 of 30 Old 08-18-2016, 05:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Wink

If you can find one like this in the $600 price range your set. These machine's were around $2200 retail. These machine's are beast's and will take on all other brand machine's including Ariens. There is only one Snapper that is better then this the one with the 11hp OHV engine. That one is full on commercial. I saw one that had some rut in the picture and it was on there for $475 and it sold fast. I saw one on ebay a few month's back in pristine condition for $950 and it sold fast, because these machine's are far and few between now in pristine condition. There worth it. Okay bud, good luck. Take care. If you get one show it off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Snapper 10305.jpg (35.0 KB, 31 views)
Cardo111 likes this.

Last edited by FearlessFront; 08-18-2016 at 05:38 PM.
post #6 of 30 Old 08-18-2016, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Perhaps it's not a series 3 then...
You can clearly see in the pics the bosses for the cable on the chute and the cutout in the panel for the remote deflector lever.
Here are some pics of it.
More than I've budgeted for a blower, but then again if I find something cheaper and it needs new bearings, new belts, new tires, new friction wheel, etc... my
so called "great deal" can quickly approach the price of a well maintained, garaged, zero rust, needs nothing, ready to go machine.
I think if the Tecumseh Snow King is well maintained, then it can be a very reliable motor.
I've actually never owned anything for more than a few months with a TEC motor, so I don't really have any 1st hand/long term experience with them.
I sent the seller an email.

Last edited by russkat; 08-18-2016 at 06:33 PM.
post #7 of 30 Old 08-18-2016, 06:43 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
I am 90% sure that is a series 5. One way I can tell is the gas tank on the engine is just a plain square style the series 6 which mine is has that newer style gas tank that had grooves in the tank that Tecumseh started using from like 2000 on it also has a snapper nameplate adhered to the bucket rather then just a snapper sticker which mine has. Its definetely not a series 3 because they were still red and white. It could be a series 4 because the recoil on the engine is that older style still as opposed to the recoils they were using at the end before Tecumseh went under but from the looks of it, I am almost positive it is a series 5, it's either a 4 or 5 that much I can say for sure, both good machine's with all the modern upgrades, if its a series 4 its just a little older, that's the only difference. I can see where the deflector cable was and it has been removed. Either it broke or he took it off. They sell that cable for $150 new. That is a clean good looking machine. Just ask him for the model if it is a 10305 then its a series 5, 10hp, 30 wide series 5, if there is an E at the end of the model it just means it came electric start standard, if it is a series 4 it will be 10304. The machine appears to be in descent condition. You have a trump card you can use here. Mention to him that the deflector cable is missing, ask why. Since he is selling it for $575, tell him you can do $450 because that cable is $150 dollars. Just make sure everything is good on it and it starts right up and runs. The great thing is you do not need the deflector cable to use that machine, you can manually move the deflector by hand by loosening and tightening the wingnut, so at $450 that is a good price if he agrees to it. Then it's up to you if you want to add the deflector cable with the money you saved from buying it. That machine also come's with one hand operation a great feature, it allows you to move the machine and keep the auger going with one hand so you can use the other hand for other things like adjusting the deflector when the cable is present. I like that machine because it has large stout tires compared to mine, those are much wider, plus you get a 30 inch swath and with a 10hp engine enough power to toss that snow. The electric start is an added bonus and having that headlight is a big deal when your out there past sun down. Its a pretty descent looking machine. I know a lot of people who love there 1030 snappers and I would like to upgrade to a larger one myself too one day. I would put a serious bid in on it. At $450 its worth it, if you can get him down. Offer it, if he says no walk away and if it doesn't sell, there is a good chance he will contact you down the road asking if the offer is still on the table. Just make sure everything works properly and it starts up and runs good before you commit to a buy, but yes a machine like that for around $450 is a good price. One thing I also did notice is it will need a coat of paint in the bucket, you have minor rust in there. Its an easy paint job, I re-painted mine last spring. You can use that as a bargaining chip as well ask him what model it is and if it is a series 4 what year it was built, you can use it's age as a bargaining chip as well since the series 4-6 were basically all the same except age, since its the older one you can chop a few bucks off there as well. At $575 I'm pretty sure the guy selling it know's he isn't going to get the asking price and will be ready to negotiate. Feel him out and see where you think his bottom number is at. If you were willing to make a $400 cash offer right now and he said yes, you would be doing very good, because those machine's retailed up over 2 grand. But otherwise from the photo's it looks pretty clean and solid. Good luck! Let us know how thing's work out and what you decide to do.
Thing's to look for when looking at this thing and testing it out are:
Do the tire hold air 100% of the time.
Does the engine start within 2-3 pulls tops and then run smooth after it warms up.
That all the gears including reverse drive good, no hesitation or anything like that.
Its history and maintenance record.
Why the deflector cable is gone.
Check the scraper bar and skid shoes make sure they have meat on them (I don't like those aftermarket skids he put on but that's inexpensive) see if he has the metal originals to give with it.
Make sure he has the manuals both engine and machine for it an gives them to you, that's usually a good sign of being the first owner, because they tend to get lost after resale.
Make sure that headlight works and lights up.
Look under the bucket make sure there is no cracking at the corner's
Make sure the auger moves freely
Start it, run it make sure everything operates as it should and moves good, unfortunately you cant test to see how it throws snow now because there is none, but if the auger and impeller are moving nice and smooth, that;s a good sign.
Get him to come down on the price. Make him an offer, see what he says, then tell him you'll sleep on it, go home think it over and if the price seems fair and everything is up to par on the machine, make the decision. Try to get it for $400. If you can do that and its clean your getting a really good deal. Okay bud, good luck. Take care.

Last edited by FearlessFront; 08-18-2016 at 07:16 PM.
post #8 of 30 Old 08-18-2016, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks again for the comments, much appreciated.
post #9 of 30 Old 08-18-2016, 08:24 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 1
I have a 8265 that I purchased new in 1996. It has been a great machine. Mine has a 8 hp Techumseh engine which has run well. I have performed normal maintenance at the start of each season.
My repairs have been as follows:
Replaced broken chute deflector cable. The original cable had open ends and often froze. The new cable (purchased about 15 years ago) has boots on both ends and has never frozen.
Rebuilt Carb twice.
Replaced broken impeller roll pins
post #10 of 30 Old 08-18-2016, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Do these models benefit much from an impeller kit or are they already good to go ?

Just watched the local news...

... of course I would look silly hauling a blower up to 12-14k ft mountain peaks just to find a few inches of snow, but it would make for a great photo !

Last edited by russkat; 08-18-2016 at 08:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page