Toro Power Clear 418 Snowblower Will Not Start - Page 12 - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #111 of 120 Old 02-17-2017, 12:15 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangputeh View Post
I agree with Bluejoe.

And the bowl on the carb should be able to be removed so you can see if any gas is in there. Some carbs have another bolt for draining the carb.

I would open up that bowl to see if any gas in it. you will need a small collector if there is. if it keeps pouring out after a few seconds then that probably means you have fuel delivery from tank. ( look for that fuel shut off valve first ).
My carb does have a small screw for draining the carb (and, by extension, the gas tank). Back in December 2016, per the instructions, I loosened that screw and drained the carb and gas tank.

But there is a larger *bowl* bolt. If I remove that bolt, will the entire contents of the carb and gas tank be drained out? Or will only a small amount of gas be drained out?

By the way, the instructions say the following, in black, bold letters: Do not remove the carburetor bowl bolt from the bottom of the carburetor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 120 Old 02-17-2017, 12:24 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 392
Thanks (Received): 453
Likes (Given): 2523
Likes (Received): 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack28 View Post
Hello. This thread is an update to the following thread:

Toro Power Clear 418 Snowblower Will Not Start

I started a new thread because I was no longer getting enough responses on the original thread.

Rather then send folks back to your first post on your problem I consolidated the two threads since we are still working on the "no start" problem.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!
post #113 of 120 Old 02-17-2017, 12:34 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
"Do not remove the carburetor bowl bolt from the bottom of the carburetor."

If you take that bolt out then the whole bowl might come off. Usually it needs some persuasion since it tends to glue itself to the gasket over time. If it's in good condition the bowl will drop off and whatever is in the tank will come pouring out past the needle and seat. The reason it says not to do it is that most people shouldn't take it apart as they have no idea what they are doing and for draining you'd use the other one.

This might give you a better idea. I love show and tell.
RIT333 and orangputeh like this.

post #114 of 120 Old 02-17-2017, 12:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 79
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 38
Likes (Received): 16
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack28 View Post
My carb does have a small screw for draining the carb (and, by extension, the gas tank). Back in December 2016, per the instructions, I loosened that screw and drained the carb and gas tank.

But there is a larger *bowl* bolt. If I remove that bolt, will the entire contents of the carb and gas tank be drained out? Or will only a small amount of gas be drained out?

By the way, the instructions say the following, in black, bold letters: Do not remove the carburetor bowl bolt from the bottom of the carburetor.
don't know anything about Toros but i guess you should follow instructions . Did you remove drain bolt and gas came out and kept coming out?

does your manual show any shut off valve?

what goes around comes around
post #115 of 120 Old 02-17-2017, 12:53 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Received): 4
Hello Jack where do you live maybe one of our members is close and can drive out to help out.

New Jersey, Toro 8/24, Ariens 5/22, small engine repairs
post #116 of 120 Old 02-17-2017, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangputeh View Post
don't know anything about Toros but i guess you should follow instructions . Did you remove drain bolt and gas came out and kept coming out?

does your manual show any shut off valve?
In his reply at the top of the page he says he removed the drain bolt and it emptied the tank. If it does have a shut off valve it must be open.

post #117 of 120 Old 02-17-2017, 02:59 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 79
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 38
Likes (Received): 16
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog View Post
In his reply at the top of the page he says he removed the drain bolt and it emptied the tank. If it does have a shut off valve it must be open.
It seems like a fairly simple fix . I mean it has spark. If it has fuel then it must be the carb , don't you think?

It sounds like the fuel is not getting to the cylinder. Something is clogged. It's just a process of elimination that cleaning out the carb will probably remedy.

What do you think? I haven't been at this long but the half dozen blowers that I have worked on with this same problem , this was the problem.

what goes around comes around
post #118 of 120 Old 02-17-2017, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
If it has spark and you can get it to fire and run then it pretty much has to be a carb problem. I'm not keen on putting gas in the plug hole to check it, I'm more of a starting fluid kind of guy or just dribbling some gas into the carbs throat. Rather not mess with the spark plug and also take a chance I'm going to have gas seeping down into the oil but that's just me.

Depending on cost I'd either clean that carb or purchase a new one and get it up and running. I'd also flush the tank, replace the gas line and if space permits put a filter in line.

That said I haven't gone through any more of this thread then this page so I'm not sure what all has been tried. And with over a hundred replies I'm not going to

post #119 of 120 Old 02-18-2017, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog View Post
If it has spark and you can get it to fire and run then it pretty much has to be a carb problem. I'm not keen on putting gas in the plug hole to check it, I'm more of a starting fluid kind of guy or just dribbling some gas into the carbs throat. Rather not mess with the spark plug and also take a chance I'm going to have gas seeping down into the oil but that's just me.

Depending on cost I'd either clean that carb or purchase a new one and get it up and running. I'd also flush the tank, replace the gas line and if space permits put a filter in line.

That said I haven't gone through any more of this thread then this page so I'm not sure what all has been tried. And with over a hundred replies I'm not going to

I read about a carburetor cleaner called Mechanic in a Bottle. The following is what I read:

My toro 3650 snow blower surges up and down when running. Could

Will Mechanic in a Bottle help?
post #120 of 120 Old 02-18-2017, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Don't know, haven't tried it. If you were just having a surging problem trying a good quality fuel system cleaner would be appropriate but since yours won't start you'll likely need to take it fully apart and soak it for a day or two and then rebuild with a kit or replace it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page