Yard Man 8/26 slow and variable in forward speeds - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 01-10-2017, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 2
Yard Man 8/26 slow and variable in forward speeds

I have a Yard Man 8hp 26" blower from 1977, and it has been gradually losing forward speed over the past 3 years.

The symptom is inconsistent forward speed when I change in and out of a specific gear. So if I am in second and shift into reverse to reposition, going back into second usually has a different ground speed. This is most obvious in 5th, which is usually a brisk walk: this past weekend it was a normal pace. There is also "slip" of some sort, meaning going up a slope I lose forward speed. This blower used to be UNSTOPPABLE in first, so grippy it would drag me no matter how much resistance I put on it.

I changed the drive belt this past fall with a factory part. I changed the friction wheel about a year before that, cleaning the friction disk with brake cleaner (none touched the rubber wheel), and the disk was in great shape. This really leaves just couple things remaining: friction disk, play in the friction wheel positioner, friction plate to disk pressure, drive belt sheave on the engine crank shaft, idler belt tensioner.

Other things to check?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-10-2017, 12:55 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
I had some corrosion on the device that lifts the disc to the friction wheel. PB blaster and time to soak fixed it for me. I did clean the disc with acetone also.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-10-2017, 01:34 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Garage
How about cable adjustment?
post #4 of 9 Old 01-10-2017, 03:24 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Received): 42
The chain gear may have sheared its pin and be intermittently turning on its shaft. Not a common problem, but it does happen. If you scribe the gear and the shaft, it' s easy to rule out slippage. MH

1960 Ariens 45-10M
1961 Ariens 10M55
1977 Ariens 22000
1972 Ariens 10000
1990 Ariens ST724
1987 Toro 724
Murray Ultra 522
MTD Single stage
8 hp MTD hybrid plow
post #5 of 9 Old 01-10-2017, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 392
Thanks (Received): 454
Likes (Given): 2530
Likes (Received): 857
Sounds like you might need to clean up and lightly lube the shaft the friction disc slides on.

Here are some how to videos: https://www.google.com/#q=donyboy+++...tion+disc+lube

If it's not that I'd check the shifting rod(s) to see if something is loose in the linkage and not replicating the position consistently.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!
post #6 of 9 Old 01-10-2017, 08:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 31
For sure I'd look for looseness in the friction wheel horizontal position. Open up the transmission and try moving it side to side with your hand while the speed selection lever is engaged into a speed position.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-11-2017, 12:27 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 23
Likes (Given): 7
Likes (Received): 51
It's anyone's guess until you open up the cover and give it a good look, but I'd suspect the linkages that slide the friction disk into the selected position. By now I'd assume the eyelets and rods would have substantial play in them.

Honda HSS928atd
MTD Gold 826
Simplicity 520
Toro Powerlite
post #8 of 9 Old 01-11-2017, 02:49 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Received): 6
A loose handlebar assembly can cause this. Since the cables are attached to it, when you vary pressure on the handlebar, you also vary tension of the rubber drive disk to the drive plate. very common...
Marty
post #9 of 9 Old 01-11-2017, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 2
So I suspect play in the linkage that positions the friction disk, as well as the one that pushes the friction disk and friction wheel. There seemed to be plenty of contact when I looked in there, but maybe the play is more pronounced under load. Thanks for all the tips so far, I'll take this apart this summer and make a project out of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page