MTD 12/33 stuck in gear and won't disengage from drive. - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kiss4aFrog

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 02-11-2017, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Have an older MTD 12/33 I bought used this winter. Started it today to clear a small amount of snow. Halfway through my driveway it would not disengage from drive when lifting the drive lever. It also would not budge from 5th gear. I was able to get it to come out of 5th but it still drives forward as soon as you start it and the shift lever is extremely hard to move. What could the problem be? How much would it be for parts? Worth fixing or am I in the market for a new blower the day before we get 16 inches here in upstate NY?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170211_114941435_1486832564761.jpg (79.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170211_115617900_1486832588112.jpg (81.6 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by Christopher John; 02-11-2017 at 12:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-11-2017, 12:30 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 397
Thanks (Received): 190
Likes (Given): 233
Likes (Received): 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher John View Post
Have an older MTD 12/33 I bought used this winter. Started it today to clear a small amount of snow. Halfway through my driveway it would not disengage from drive when lifting the drive lever. It also would not budge from 5th gear. I was able to get it to come out of 5th but it still drives forward as soon as you start it and the shift lever is extremely hard to move. Worth fixing or am I in the market for a new blower the day before we get 16 inches here in upstate NY?
You could try and fix it. but if you are eye balling a shiny new 1. then I guess you have your answer already.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 7 Old 02-11-2017, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 392
Thanks (Received): 454
Likes (Given): 2530
Likes (Received): 859
to SBF Christopher John

You should tip it up on it's nose and pull the transmission cover. Might want to lay down a chunk of cardboard in case you get a little gas or oil leaking. You likely have a stuck friction wheel that won't back away from the drive plate and also won't slide on it's shaft.
Once you pull the cover you can post some photos.

This might give you a better idea of what's going on in there: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgHH_Tcufx4
THE Wolfman likes this.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 02-16-2017 at 11:47 PM.
post #4 of 7 Old 02-11-2017, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 0
This make a lot of sense! I just went back out to look again and the drive plate and the wheel that touches it to go forward are in fact touching as it sits without the lever held down. Thank you so much. No time to tear into anymore this afternoon as I'm headed to work shortly but I think you may have saved me a lot of time and money!
post #5 of 7 Old 02-16-2017, 11:53 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 392
Thanks (Received): 454
Likes (Given): 2530
Likes (Received): 859
Maybe money but you'll have to invest some time into freeing up that friction wheel. Using some PB Blaster and gentle persuasion with a rubber mallet might help. Check all the pivot points from the handlebar lever all the way to the disc. Once you have it freed up, cleaned and relubed you'll be amazed how easy it is to shift it. I use synthetic wheel bearing grease very sparingly but you can also get by with oil. Just want to make sure either way you go you only use just enough and don't get any on the drive disc or friction wheels rubber. Once you get it freed up you want to make sure to clean both of those off really well.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!
post #6 of 7 Old 02-17-2017, 06:26 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Received): 6
First thing (and simplest) thing to do is to back off the adjustment on the clutch lever (cable or rod) and see if you can get a "gap" between the drive plate and the friction disk.

Marty
post #7 of 7 Old 02-19-2017, 11:17 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 42
Thanks (Received): 66
Likes (Given): 31
Likes (Received): 218
Broken Return Spring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page