Do you use fuel cleaners, when needed or every time? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
View Poll Results: Do you use a fuel cleaner, never, regularly, occasionally?
I never use a fuel cleaner 4 16.00%
I regularly use a fuel cleaner by putting it in my gas can on every fuel up 10 40.00%
I occasionally use a fuel cleaner when I think about it adding it to the blower 7 28.00%
I only use a fuel carb cleaner when I have a carburetor problem 4 16.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 Old 02-15-2017, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 14
Do you use fuel cleaners, when needed or every time?

It seems sooner or later we all are going to have a carburetor problem, hard starting, surging, rough running, no power, no power under load, stalling, poor idling, whatever.

It can be reduced by using fresh fuel, turning the fuel over often, using fuel stabilizers, StaBil, Seafoam, and by draining the gas tank and carburetor either after each snow or at the end of the season. You can also use a shut off valve on the gas tank, turn it to off, and drain the carburetor only.

And many do nothing! Then solve the problem by using a fuel carb cleaner, rebuilding, or replacing the carb.

Do you use a fuel cleaner at all, only occasionally, only when you have a problem, or regularly?

What do you use?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 02-15-2017, 11:26 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 385
Thanks (Received): 178
Likes (Given): 226
Likes (Received): 452
I have never used any of that stuff here in the frozen tundra. I fill the tankers just when the weather monkey's are crying we got a storm coming our way. never turns out the way they played it up. so I fill the engine tank when I am going to use it. and when it is all said and done then I reach under there and turn the valve off so the engine starves itself of fuel. put it back in the garage.and do it all over when duty calls once again. what I don't use in the winter I just run in the mower in the summer. and when the tanker is empty. I hoof it up to the holiday on the corner fill it up. and everything begins again. and have never had any problems doing it my way. I still have yet to try the higher octane issue I ranted on in another thread somewhere around here.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 38 Old 02-15-2017, 11:34 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 6
On all my equipment, I don't deal with the carbs. unless there's a need. I do use StaBil and Sea Foam in the gas regularly as a stabilizer (not carb. related) plus an extra ounce of Sea Foam early in the season.
post #4 of 38 Old 02-15-2017, 11:43 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 0
I use a double-dose of Stabil every time I fill up the gas can.

I get lazy and will often leave the tank partially full in the offseason. I didn't use my snowblower at all last year so when I went to start it up a week ago, it still had fuel from the end of the 2015 season. The engine started up fine and I ran through the rest of the tank during the storm on almost 2 year old fuel.

I will keep on using a double-dose of Stabil every time I fill up the gas can.
post #5 of 38 Old 02-15-2017, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERSHIFT93 View Post
I have never used any of that stuff here in the frozen tundra. I fill the tankers just when the weather monkey's are crying we got a storm coming our way. never turns out the way they played it up. so I fill the engine tank when I am going to use it. and when it is all said and done then I reach under there and turn the valve off so the engine starves itself of fuel. put it back in the garage.and do it all over when duty calls once again. what I don't use in the winter I just run in the mower in the summer. and when the tanker is empty. I hoof it up to the holiday on the corner fill it up. and everything begins again. and have never had any problems doing it my way. I still have yet to try the higher octane issue I ranted on in another thread somewhere around here.
Powershift, I have to laugh at your post as that's what I do. After I use it, turn the shut off valve off and run it dry choking it. I do use Stabil as I like fresh gas. If I don't have any gas, I don't get it until the day of or the day before the snow falls vigilantly checking the Doppler. Then I don't put any in until I use the machine, snow snow snow and we get nothing. I know all my machines will start and if not, with ether. At the end of the season if it's pushing 60 days it goes in my car.
post #6 of 38 Old 02-15-2017, 12:11 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 6
I use a little Seafoam and Marvel Mystery Oil in my gas, and I use 93 octane in the blower and mowers, only because I feel like the effects of ethanol is lessened by the higher octane. I could be wasting a little money but I feel better about it. At the end of the season I siphon out the tank, run it out of fuel and drain whatever is in the bowl. Then I hit the inside of the tank with fogging oil. I feel that's better than leaving stabilized fuel in it for 8 or 9 months.
post #7 of 38 Old 02-15-2017, 12:16 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Received): 7
never used anything before this year figured i would try some seafoam in the gas of my 2 and 4 stroke small engines.

i had a tecumseh engine i did a carb clean on and still had a surging problem. after running a seafoam heavy mix for a while it cleared up.

it cant hurt as a fuel additive/ stabilizer so why not run it?

Current Toys

John Deere SXT38
Toro CCR 2000 #38185
Honda HS621
Mtd Yard man 30" 10.5hp Tecumseh
Echo srm 210 trimmer
post #8 of 38 Old 02-15-2017, 12:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 385
Thanks (Received): 178
Likes (Given): 226
Likes (Received): 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLawrence08648 View Post
Powershift, I have to laugh at your post as that's what I do. After I use it, turn the shut off valve off and run it dry choking it. I do use Stabil as I like fresh gas. If I don't have any gas, I don't get it until the day of or the day before the snow falls vigilantly checking the Doppler. Then I don't put any in until I use the machine, snow snow snow and we get nothing. I know all my machines will start and if not, with ether. At the end of the season if it's pushing 60 days it goes in my car.
Well I am just glad that someone reads them.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #9 of 38 Old 02-15-2017, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbelt_subie View Post
never used anything before this year figured i would try some seafoam in the gas of my 2 and 4 stroke small engines.

i had a tecumseh engine i did a carb clean on and still had a surging problem. after running a seafoam heavy mix for a while it cleared up.

it cant hurt as a fuel additive/ stabilizer so why not run it?
I use fuel stabilizer because it can't hurt and it's the right thing to do. I use a fuel carb cleaner in my gas can because it can't hurt.
post #10 of 38 Old 02-15-2017, 12:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhazelton View Post
I use 93 octane in the blower and mowers, only because I feel like the effects of ethanol is lessened by the higher octane.
Any information on this? I've heard a theory that higher octane in 2-stroke engines helps with cooling (not sure it's true) but never any details about ethanol. Interestingly, my chainsaw requires minimum 89 octane but all the 4-stroke OPE engines I've seen only require 87 octane.

FWIW, higher octane fuel is still going to have ethanol unless it's specifically labeled ethanol-free.

For 4-stroke engines the compression ratio is low enough that higher octane really shouldn't make a difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page