Snowblower Forum banner

536-909700 old but still running strong

3K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Dauntae 
#1 ·
Picked up one of these last year Craftsman 536-909700:The Engine runs fine; I'm just having a hard time shifting the gears. Any thoughts on this?

Bruce

#2 ·
First thing you do is remove the bottom pan, elevate the blower so the wheels are off the ground, then you start looking, broken, bent, heavy grease, no grease, I prefer synthetics, then try to shift, see what you see, then start disassembly, first with the shift lever, don't take the apart in pieces, just disconnect, see how they move, freely? Some things are meant to have play, some things not, see where the catching is occurring.

#4 ·
Sounds like you acquired an older machine. It likely needs to be serviced in the transmission area, lubed and greased. Anything that moves or slides needs to be oiled or greased. Keep grease and oil away from the rubber tired drive wheel and friction disc and make sure they are clean.

#6 · (Edited)
There is a hex shaped shaft in the transmission area. The friction drive wheel with the rubber ring slides sideways along this hex shaft to move the rubber wheel to different parts of the big aluminum drive disk, to give you different forward and reverse speeds.

If the shifter is sticky or hard to move, check the surface of the hex shaft for a build up of grease of dirt and gunk, and scrape it off, all the way along the entire length. Move the friction wheel assembly out of the way as you get close to it so you can get it all. Get it down to clean metal then put a very light coating of grease on it. The grease here is mostly to keep rust off. Keep the grease OFF the friction rubber wheel and the aluminum friction disk. Clean both with a bit of gasoline after your done lubing everything. Easy on the grease and oil as you don't want it flinging onto the friction parts. As JLawrence mentioned, check for parts of the linkages sticking or binding, and find out why. Take photos of things before you take them apart, so you know how they go back together.

Check the other bits and pieces that slide the friction wheel along the shaft while your in there, as well as check the bearings/bushings on the ends of the shafts for excessive play or oval holes or rough gritty rotation.

As far as cables, they should slide freely inside their sheaths. Check for broken strands where they exit or any signs of rusting where they are exposed to the weather. Avoid routing cables with tight bends which bind them up a bit, and will cause internal wear. They should be routed properly from the factory, but you never know what somebody may have done in the past.

#7 ·
Thanks for all the info guys, I'm going to try and get out to the garage tomorrow I'll let you know my progress. Also it was mentioned to me to take photos before doing anything so if I have remove / replace any parts I'll have a reference to fall back on. I looked for service manual but have had no luck finding one for this model.I'll post photos when I can.

Bruce

#8 ·
Hey guys I want to thank you for all your help I was able to do the work on the snow blower today, a little grease and everything moving very well so I should get several more years service from this machine. The one thing I was thinking may be worth while replacing was the tires; there's very little tread left any suggestions on where to find good tires that would fit? or should I just find a set of chains?

Thanks again for all the help,

Bruce

#9 ·
There are a few places for tires out there, What size are on it, I just picked up a set for my Ariens and stock war around $100 each??? I don't think so LOL But I found another place who sold the same tires that were on it with new rims for $32 each so there out there. I'll see if I can look up the model and post any deals I can find that will fit.

#10 ·
Thanks Dauntae ....Craftsman doesn't make them anymore, they sent me to Murray but I haven't heard back from them. I thought there would be many more after market wheels to chose from w/ better tread than the stock wheels. Yea $100 a wheel Isn't what I was thinking either.

Bruce

#11 ·
Did some searching and can't find a size, do you know off hand what the size is, if there air filled you may be able to use the rims with new tires

#13 ·
Dauntae They are 12" x 4" w/ 3/4" arbor: I'm not finding any that are replacements for this machine and they are not making any as far as I can tell, any help here would be greatly appreciated. I would think there would be another set that could be modified to fit by drilling for the shear pin as long as it was the same size or bigger D and had a 3/4" arbor hole.

#14 ·
Not sure what the standard axle diameter is, but I'm sure there is a 3/4 axle out there, hopefully someone here will know the axle size, I have a older MTD and a few craftsman blowers here, I'll head out to the garage and see what they are

#15 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.