Snowblower Forum banner

Need help with Craftsman 28" Pro Series

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  tpenfield 
#1 ·
I purchased a Craftsman 247.888740 late in January 2016. I used it once in February 2016 (it ran perfectly) and shortly thereafter prepped it for off season storage exactly according to the instructions in the operators manual (thoroughly burned out all fuel, etc.). This past Tuesday I went out to use it for the first time this winter, added fresh gas and checked oil, etc, and it wouldn't start. It didn't seem to be getting fuel. I did change and properly gap the new plug. I then pumped the primer about ten times and continued pumping when I pushed the electric start. It then started, with some difficulty, but began running almost normal. After running for 5-10 minutes, I tried to gradually move the choke from full choke to regular running position. It would start to quit with the smallest movement away from full choke.

After doing some research here on the Forum, I purchased a couple bottles of Mechanic in a Bottle. I added a couple ounces to the small amount of fresh gas remaining in the tank and ran the blower until it quit. After about 20 minutes of running I could move the choke just slightly off full choke and it would still run. Any further movement and it would quit, appearing to be starving for gas. I then added a full bottle of Mechanic in a Bottle to the empty tank, primed the fluid into the carb and let it sit for five hours. I then started and ran the blower for about 20 minutes but still cannot move the choke more than slightly off full choke or it will stall.

he blower is still under warranty and I have an appointment for Sears Home Services to come out this Wednesday. However, I expect they will tell me I did something wrong on the off season prep and not cover this as a warranty repair. it appears if they decide in their sole discretion that the repair isn't covered by the warranty, you must pay them $99 for coming out to your house anyway. I'd like to avoid that scenario.

I would appreciate additional ideas on how I can get this running properly again? Will it damage the blower if I just use it at the full choke setting all the time?

Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
Running on full choke all the time can do damage as you are enriching the fuel mixture.

Try draining the carb, fuel bowl, you may have water in it.

Sears may put a new carb on it and that is going to cost you big bucks.

You can buy a can of Napa carb cleaner dip for $25, take the carb apart, and let it sit in it for a few hours. That should solve the problem.

You can also buy a new Chinese carburetor.

I'd cancel Sears until you do these things first.

Reactions: Reggie7
#5 ·
I ran it dry and then removed the bowl and cleaned the jet with carb cleaner. Runs like new again. I'm concerned, however, that I followed the manual for off-season storage last year and had clogged jet.

Someone advised I should use the Briggs & Stratton Fuel Treatment this off season. He said you mix it with some gas and leave it in the blower until next winter, rather than run it dry.

Has anyone had success with that product following that procedure?

Thanks.

#6 ·
I know it may be a bit late to offer advice, but . . . It sounds like to me that the fuel nozzle inside the carburetor is clogged with dried out fuel.

If you can get some starting fluid to go through the fuel line and through the carburetor, that may do a better job of clearing the fuel nozzle than the other stuff that you used.

Maybe some seafoam will do the trick.. you could run a small amount of fuel and a 50% mix of fuel and seafoam . . . maybe a pint total and see if that helps.

the engine will smoke a bit as the seafoam goes through . . . no worries though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.