snow blower won't start when it is cold outside - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 04-12-2017, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
STH

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
snow blower won't start when it is cold outside

I have an Ariens Deluxe 24 with an AX254 engine from LCT with a Huayi carb. The problem I am having is that when it starts getting colder outside (about 20 deg. F.) it won't start. I have had this problem since I bought the unit new two years ago. I took it back to the dealer once and they said they found nothing wrong, but they stored it in there some what heated garage. My thought is that one of the jets could be under sized or partially plugged. I could not find any air/fuel adjustments on the carb. Has anybody else had this problem or thoughts about how to troubleshoot it.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-12-2017, 04:59 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 25
Likes (Received): 45
What starting procedure are you using ? I find that although it is recommended that you use 3 pumps of the primer, I usually do 5 or 6. Also, make sure that you cover the hole in the primer bulb with a bare thumb, not with a glove. Possible the tubing from the primer bulb to the carb came disconnected, or split. Finally, do you have fresh gas ? That is also important in getting a quick start. What if you try the electric start - do you still have an issue ? It is important to be able to pull-start just in case you run out of gas while far from electricity.

Better get moving on this project - warm weather is approaching fast.

Finally, sucks that the service shot blew you off without a repair. Doesn't sound like a quality shop.

Last edited by RIT333; 04-12-2017 at 06:23 PM.
post #3 of 15 Old 04-12-2017, 05:13 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 109
Likes (Given): 64
Likes (Received): 168
First thing is if you are turning the choke correctly for a cold start (closed) and you're primer is working. You can pull off the primer line at the carb from under the cover and put your thumb over the end, push the primer bulb and you should feel resistance. If you hear air escape, the line may be rotted or cracked and won't allow the carb to pressurize some fuel up to the carb throat.

If it's running fine once it gets going, I wouldn't mess with the carb.
I would try swapping your stock Torch plug for an NGK BPR6ES if it hasn't already been done. It may be the source of your hard/no cold starts. ( I would replace the Torch plug even if you find another issue is the cause).

If you do have a surge or poor running when it does start regardless of temp, a simple carb clean may be needed.
eyebolt likes this.

Last edited by jtclays; 04-12-2017 at 05:16 PM.
post #4 of 15 Old 04-12-2017, 10:25 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 21
Smile

Doubt if the Torch plug has anything to do with it, I understand the apprehension with an unknown sparkplug like a Torch but believe or not a Torch sparkplug lasted 10 years of Central New York snows in a Powermore engine before I bought my Cub Cadet and changed it. At any rate here's a cross reference chart Torch to NGK.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (221.8 KB, 21 views)
BillE likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1995 Toro CCR1000
2007 Cub Cadet 524SWE
post #5 of 15 Old 04-12-2017, 10:34 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 524SWE View Post
Doubt if the Torch plug has anything to do with it, I understand the apprehension with an unknown sparkplug like a Torch but believe or not a Torch sparkplug lasted 10 years of Central New York snows in a Powermore engine before I bought my Cub Cadet and changed it. At any rate here's a cross reference chart Torch to NGK.
THANX for the cross ref chart!

Bill
post #6 of 15 Old 04-13-2017, 12:37 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 397
Thanks (Received): 188
Likes (Given): 233
Likes (Received): 484
Could you post a vid of this problem that is presenting itself to the masses here?????? anyhoo, ALOHA from the Paradise City.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #7 of 15 Old 04-13-2017, 12:55 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by STH View Post
I have an Ariens Deluxe 24 with an AX254 engine from LCT with a Huayi carb. The problem I am having is that when it starts getting colder outside (about 20 deg. F.) it won't start. I have had this problem since I bought the unit new two years ago. I took it back to the dealer once and they said they found nothing wrong, but they stored it in there some what heated garage. My thought is that one of the jets could be under sized or partially plugged. I could not find any air/fuel adjustments on the carb. Has anybody else had this problem or thoughts about how to troubleshoot it.

Thanks
It's funny, my Ariens Platinum was hard starting new when it was cold outside as well. I would semi joke with my wife about a snowblower that didn't like the cold. Recently I decided to run Seafoam through it since I've seen it talked about on here so many times. It's never started as easy as it does now, two primer bulb presses and one pull of the rope. I don't know what was in it but the Seafoam took care of it.
post #8 of 15 Old 04-13-2017, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
STH

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 0
Thanks for the tip. I heard that Seafoam was some good stuff. I think I will try it when I get some time. Not expecting much cold weather hear in Wisconsin any time soon.
post #9 of 15 Old 04-13-2017, 04:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 14
Thanks (Received): 19
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 38
The easiest way is to run a fuel carb cleaner through the carb. The best way and to be sure, remove, disassemble, soak, sit in solution for a bit, submerge in water as a wash, blow out, use a torch tip cleaner, blow out, reassemble.

Check to make sure you have good compression when the engine is cold. Compression is higher when warmed as parts expand. Maybe the intake valve is leaking a bit and not drawing in the fuel.

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, electric snow shovel, all for sale
post #10 of 15 Old 04-13-2017, 05:02 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 109
Likes (Given): 64
Likes (Received): 168
I'd check the cheap stuff first. If it's only not starting really cold, but runs fine otherwise you need not be fussing with the carb, IMO. Save $7 for the Sea Foam and check your primer line first.
Platinum 24 921028 cracked line
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page