Snowblower Forum banner

Toro 824xl drive issue

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  YSHSfan 
#1 ·
I picked up this toro 824xl for 80 bucks from an older woman who took very good care of it. It runs great and starts the first pull every time. But... When I press the lever for the drive wheels it doesn't go anywhere unless the snow blower is up off the ground and the wheels can free spin. I've adjusted the cable so that they will spin off the ground but before it wouldn't do anything. If the snow blower is on the ground it just lunges a few inches and the belt just slips on the pulley the whole time. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated! I do have a video that I can post if that would help.

#3 ·
What's it look like inside the belt cover? From your video it's hard to see much, but if the drive platter is stopping, and the belt keeps going, most times you either have a belt that's too big (still spins with engine, but not enough grip to overcome the drive pulley) or you don't have the spring attached to the idler arm for the drive belt (inside the belt cover to locate). Other thing to check is if the drive sheave is stopping or significantly slowing when you apply the drive cable. I know some older Toro's used a 3 piece sheave (center portion was machined /-\, auger 1/3 and drive 1/3 were machined \ and / respectively to give you the 2 v-belt slots).

Check the bolt on the end of the engine crank for tightness and inspect if the back 1/3 section of the sheave spins freely. May have lost a key or the way they had them mated lost the contact spots.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.