Can't Get my Snowblower to Start! HELP!! - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Snowmobile Escrow

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2012, 02:33 AM   #1

Exclamation Can't Get my Snowblower to Start! HELP!!

I have a mid to late 80's model Allis & Chalmers snowblower. I recovered it out of a feild last year. It sat outside for about 4 years. I did the regulars to it Carb, Oil Change, Greasing, Ect. It ran great last year. Today I Just got it out of storage and it wouldnt start. I Went through the Carb. Replaced the Primer Line. Cleaned the plug. It Won't run at all. And also it seems to make a pinging sound when I pull start it. I dont remember that last year.. My biggest Problem is that We here in Nebraska are in the middle of a blizzard. 9 inches possible. Were at 5-6 right now. I would hate to shovel that. Thank You!!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2012, 05:47 AM   #2

Are you getting spark? Is it old enough to still be points and condensor? You could try spraying a little gas in the carb opening or dumping a little down the spark plug hole and seeing what it will do.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-20-2012, 06:12 AM   #3

I had a Kohler making a "pinging" sound and it turned out to be a bent fan shroud hitting the flywheel. Are you getting spark? If it's been sitting all that time maybe something is up inside the shroud and is interfering with it making spark. That's where I usually begin on any engine that won't start.
Let us know what happens.

"The bitter taste of poor quality lingers long after the sweet taste of low price is forgotten"
Old 12-20-2012, 08:12 AM   #4

Default No spark

Good info so far. The following is based on the assumption you have a Tecumseh engine with an adjustable carb. It's also assuming you have new gas in the tank and carb.

On your no-start, here's what I'd do: take the plug out, with the spark plug wire on it lay it on top of the engine and weight it down so it's making good contact. Turn on the switch and open the throttle then give the recoil a pull and see if you have spark. If not, there should be a L bracket under the carb attached to the flywheel cover, there should be 3 wires (most likely) attached to it. Take out that screw and tape them over and pull the recoil again. If you have spark now likely 1 or both of then is bad and that kills your spark.

If you have spark then go onto the carb. If you have a drain button on the bottom of the bowl, press it to see if gas comes out. If you don't, loosen the main jet on the bottom of the bowl and see if gas starts leaking out. If you have gas, at this point I'd try using a little starter fluid and see if it runs temporarily, if it does then it's likely in the carb or your gas.

That's where I'd start. Let us know how it goes.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:11 AM   #5

Thank you. I'm getting spark, plugs wet. There seems to be alot of carbon build up. I've drained the carb through the bowl. Seems to be clean gas. I attemped using starter fluid with no success. Still Won't run
Old 12-20-2012, 11:18 AM   #6

Default Starting

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleestaklight View Post
Thank you. I'm getting spark, plugs wet. There seems to be alot of carbon build up. I've drained the carb through the bowl. Seems to be clean gas. I attemped using starter fluid with no success. Still Won't run
First off, here's a thread I put together on manually decarboning an engine
Evaluating a used engine

I don't see where you noted the make and model of engine, might help.
I'd at least change out the plug, I've seen an engine that simply changing it out made a difference.
Are you even getting so much as a sputter with starting fluid?
Usually if you have gas and spark there's something, may not run well but at least something will happen.
You can always go through the carb again and see if there's something going on in there.

Running out of ideas.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:09 PM   #7

had a couple engines with no start issue, had spark and fuel....was a valve stuck open. one briggs where I took off the side plate and grabbed the valve stem and wiggled it and it popped back down and one other I was able to push down through the spark plug hole.

just a thought.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by td5771 View Post
had a couple engines with no start issue, had spark and fuel....was a valve stuck open. one briggs where I took off the side plate and grabbed the valve stem and wiggled it and it popped back down and one other I was able to push down through the spark plug hole.

just a thought.
I was thinking the same thing. If you have spark and fuel maybe it is a compression issue related to a stuck valve or stuck rings. Valves and rings do tend to get stuck on equipment that sets for a long time, especially if left outside. Granted you said it ran fine last year. Is your air intake clogged up? Maybe you had something climb in and build a nest over the summer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement