Out of or nearly out of gas????
1. Is the gas fully turned on?
2. Do you have plenty of gas in the tank?
3. Does the auger turn when you engage it?
4. Does it stop after a period of time if you do not engage the auger?
5. Can you turn the auger by hand when the unit is off and the auger is NOT engaged?
Other than adding a small load on the motor, engaging the auger should have very little effect.
If the auger is binding, it's possible it is causing the problem, but not likely.
One of the first two items is what I would first consider being the problem.