Ariens throwing distance - Page 5 - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Snowmobile Escrow

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2013, 10:40 PM   #41

My 2.5" pulley from the same vendor was supposed to be delivered today via but according to the tracking number, it has been "missent." to the post office 2 towns over from me.

Hopefully they will sort it out.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2013, 03:25 PM   #42

After all the ideas I can think of, I'm down to two: A bearing seperator behind the pulley and use a puller to rip it off the shaft -or- a grinder with a cutting wheel to cut through the pulley and split it in half.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-01-2013, 05:49 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by nt40lanman View Post
After all the ideas I can think of, I'm down to two: A bearing seperator behind the pulley and use a puller to rip it off the shaft -or- a grinder with a cutting wheel to cut through the pulley and split it in half.
You don't have to cut through the pulley, I'd stop maybe 1-2mm short, then take a chisel or screwdriver right into the groove that you cut with the dremel.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:01 PM   #44

Update for today. I hit it with the grinder and split it off the crank in just a few minutes. I got it all together with a 1" longer belt and dove into the plowpath along the street. It's over a foot deep and soaking wet and the ariens chucked it 25+ feet. I could hear the engine slowing from the load. Then I ran it around back to some virgin (old) snow and it threw it almost 40 feet!!! Even with the engine at a low speed it threw further than it did before!!!!

It seems great. After a test in fresh snow I may back down the pulley if I think I need to. I jumped from 2.75 to 3.5 but may back off to 3.25.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:13 PM   #45

Here's some pics. As you can see, it still doesn't throw ALL the snow the whole distance so I'd like to figure that out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-03-02T13-59-48-800.jpg (56.8 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-03-02T14-00-00-800.jpg (41.7 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-03-02T13-59-21-800.jpg (54.0 KB, 47 views)
Old 03-02-2013, 07:00 PM   #46

Seeing that the old snow is very wet, Id say it throws very good.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:59 PM   #47

I have a homemade impeller kit on my Tecumseh, 10.5 hp, and it works great. It throws the snow at least 30 ft. Even wet snow.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:08 AM   #48

I was thinking of an impeller kit or adding steel to the ends with a welder.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:34 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by nt40lanman View Post
Update for today. I hit it with the grinder and split it off the crank in just a few minutes. I got it all together with a 1" longer belt and dove into the plowpath along the street. It's over a foot deep and soaking wet and the ariens chucked it 25+ feet. I could hear the engine slowing from the load. Then I ran it around back to some virgin (old) snow and it threw it almost 40 feet!!! Even with the engine at a low speed it threw further than it did before!!!!

It seems great. After a test in fresh snow I may back down the pulley if I think I need to. I jumped from 2.75 to 3.5 but may back off to 3.25.
Where did u buy your belts? What size did u used with the 3.5" pulley? Why are you considering going with a 3.25 pulley?
Old 03-07-2013, 08:05 AM   #50

I got the belts from Napa. I did a little interchange game with the original part number between various manufacturers. I calculated half the circumfrence of the two pulleys to arrive at a 1" longer belt and I checked it with the belt measuring tool at Napa. It's a 4L 1/2 belt, 37". The "gear ratio" with the new pulley is higher, putting more load on the engine. If after a few more storms I decide it's too much, I may back it down and give the engine a break but it'll probably be OK.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement