Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Snowmobile Escrow

Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums (http://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum/)
-   Snowblower Repairs and Maintenance Forum (http://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum/snowblower-repairs-maintenance-forum/)
-   -   Ariens Not Starting (http://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum/snowblower-repairs-maintenance-forum/1555-ariens-not-starting.html)

Smolenski7 02-10-2013 07:44 PM

Ariens Not Starting

I have an Ariens with a 250cc B&S Polar Force engine that is just over 1 year old. I've used it a lot over the past 2 days. Like most people in the NE we were slammed. I used it today for about 45 minutes to clear snow that was about 3 feet high at its lowest point. The drive I was clearing was easily 200ft long. It was working hard!

Toward the end it wasn't blowing snow, the dual interlock wasn't working either. I tipped the machine onto the housing to adjust the the nut and screw on the cable adjustment barrel. This worked perfectly. I had to do the same thing yesterday. Not sure why it keeps coming loose though.

Anyway, afterward I couldn't get the machine to start. After a few minutes I gave in and tried the electric start. It started. However, as I was going out to where I left off before this whole thing started, it quit only 60 seconds later.

I left the machine alone, thinking that it was flooded or overheated for about 45 minutes. Unfortunately, now it won't start at all, it doesn't even turn over. What could be wrong? I've never had a problem starting it before.

Rockproof 02-10-2013 07:49 PM

Did it smoke when you got it started again after adjusting the cable? Does the motor have a low oil shutoff? Have you checked the oil? This is my first guess...

Smolenski7 02-10-2013 08:10 PM

I don't recall if it smoked after I adjusted the cable. If it did, it wasn't obvious.

I checked the oil, it seemed to be fine. I would say it's only been used a grand total of 6 - 8 hours in its entire life, so oil really shouldn't an issue.

Colored Eggs 02-10-2013 08:33 PM

I would pull the spark plug and see what it looks like. It could also even be gas maybe you loosened up some dirt when You moved the snowblower and it clogged up the carb.

Smolenski7 02-10-2013 08:34 PM

Ok. I'm going to admit to a really stupid mistake by me.

When I tipped the machine to work on it, I turned the fuel shut off to the off position. Obviously, this would make it really hard to start if left like this, although the electric start did work. It must have used whatever fuel was in the line, then shut down. Because it ran, I didn't even think to look at the valve.

Thanks for the help.

I think I am going to repost though because I have had to adjust the Cable Adjust Barrel twice over the past 2 days.

Rockproof 02-10-2013 08:45 PM

Well...that was easy! We all pull these once in awhile.

HCBPH 02-11-2013 08:37 AM

There are dumber ones than that. Rebuilt a machine and after putting it together only got an occassional pop when trying to start it. Finially found the issue, the handlebar throttle works reverse of all the others - pull it towards you to open the throttle and push it away to close it. DOH (my best Homer Simpson impression).

detdrbuzzard 02-11-2013 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smolenski7 (Post 11570)
Ok. I'm going to admit to a really stupid mistake by me.

When I tipped the machine to work on it, I turned the fuel shut off to the off position. Obviously, this would make it really hard to start if left like this, although the electric start did work. It must have used whatever fuel was in the line, then shut down. Because it ran, I didn't even think to look at the valve.

Thanks for the help.

I think I am going to repost though because I have had to adjust the Cable Adjust Barrel twice over the past 2 days.

when i replaced the carb on the 521 i couldn't get it started. the fuel valve was open, key and choke were on but i never moved the run stop lever to the run position. it only took about 10 pulls o figure this out :D