2011 John Deere 1330SE Electrical Problems - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 02-09-2014, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
2011 John Deere 1330SE Electrical Problems

Looking for some good advice on troubleshooting my John Deere 1330SE snow blower. It has an electric chute control which is nice, but hardly ever works. It has a motor to angle the discharge which only worked the first couple weeks I bought it. The ability to rotate the chute itself only works infrequently, and sometimes not at all. Last time I used the blower, the right headlamp was out. I'm assuming there is an electrical problem somewhere. I bought the unit at Lowe's and they had me take it to a John Deere dealer, who was actually not helpful at all. (Most likely due to not buying it there). The blower is a beast at removing snow, and seems to get good reviews here and at other sites. It was bought in October 2011 and was used very little that first winter due to a mild season here in upstate NY that year. Because of that, I didn't realize the extent of the issue until the following year, well past any Lowe's warranty. Last year and this year it's getting more use. I'd be grateful if anyone had some tips for me; like to try to fix myself. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-09-2014, 09:45 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Received): 4
Your going to have to isolate just where the prob is. When the chute direction is not working, try to probe the wires right before the motor to see if its getting power. Do the same for the angle control. If your not getting power at these places, check right before the power switch. This will tell you whether your having power, switch or motor problems.
post #3 of 16 Old 02-09-2014, 11:28 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Received): 42
I couldnt find any wiring schematic on pdf file, just a parts breakdown. Where your problems appear to be affecting more than one circuit, they may be caused by moisture getting to your connectors.
Try disconnecting them one by one and spraying the contacts with WD40. Wipe them dry and see if you see any improvement. MH
post #4 of 16 Old 02-09-2014, 12:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 52
Likes (Received): 62
First check you grounds.

Scott
69 ariens
toro 721r
toro 926 hd oxe
78 powerking 1614/48'' haban snowblower
post #5 of 16 Old 02-09-2014, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
2011 John Deere 1330SE Electrical Problems

Thank you for the tips; some more specific info I should have included earlier-the chute rotation usually does work for the first 5 or so minutes and then just quits. The motor that angles the discharge has not worked since perhaps the second time I used it, which was early 2012. When pressing the control switch for it to operate, the headlamp(s) dim greatly. Sometimes with repeated efforts it will operate again. I've checked the electrical connections for tightness, but I haven't sprayed them with WD40. There are a lot of wires that are connected with clips that seem like they could loosen. I would say in the 2.5 years I've owned the machine, it's been used 12-15 times at most. Thank you again for the advice and help!!!
post #6 of 16 Old 02-09-2014, 08:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 179
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 212
A dimming light would mean a high current draw. Perhaps something is frozen?

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #7 of 16 Old 02-09-2014, 09:47 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 140
Likes (Received): 277
I would concur on icing idea of the chute. I would make sure that there is enough lube to displace any moisture.

Or.

You could rotate the chute every few minutes, to break everything free.

Garage:
MTD....2 stage(modern 8.5 HP) not my favorite
Honda HS622 TA-B - acquired at an auction- nice machine for it's size.
Toro S-140- Picked it up on trash day... it runs, sort of.
Yamaha YS 240 TB "Ricky" latest Craigslist find- on the bench now.
post #8 of 16 Old 02-09-2014, 11:55 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 7
Dimming lights when other appliance is in use? =Low voltage to the appliance. Voltage drop is tested by putting a volt meter lead as close to the appliance +12 and the + battery post. The reading you register is your voltage drop/loss. Anything over 2 volts requires help. Any of these reasons (heat) below would be a cause.
Wire size too small. Look for heat.
-install 10 gauge wiring.
Connections not passing current. Look for heat.
-double connection sizes amp rating
Battery voltage too low. Watch it with a volt meter while operating appliances.
-or Assist the battery with a battery charger looking for improvement.
Switch poor quality or size. Look for heat. Screwdriver across the poles at same time.
-upgrade to 30 amp switch

Shorted motor? Use an amp meter in line with that +12 volt supply to the motor. Anything over 6 amps doesn't sound like a healthy motor.
post #9 of 16 Old 02-10-2014, 09:52 AM
Jay

Post Thanks / Like
If the chute works fine when its thawed out/warm before blowing snow, then its most likely icing up and getting stuck. On mine I have to make sure the gear is greased every so often (monthly) by taking the black cover of the actuator off to access the rotating gear. Its important to keep ice from building up on the disc sprocket on the base of the chute that the actuator gear runs on. Spray some silicon lubricant on it helps. I sometimes use compressed air and a wand to blow all the ice and snow that builds up in that area when I am done working to keep this area dry. The actuator runs on AC power from the stator along with your hand grip warmers. The only thing that runs on DC is the headlamp which mine had a small inline rectifier on one of the red wires from the stator going to the light. It is normal for the light to dim when you press the button for the chute rotation. It also dims slightly depending on the level of heat you select for your hand grips. My light has burned out too, which I found out was due to too much vibration which reduced the life of the bulb in my case. I have since converted to LED lights and eliminated that issue. My 1130SE is pretty similar to yours if you have questions.

Current Machine:
2010 John Deere 1130SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Heated grips
Electric chute
3-9W LED Light Upgrade
Armor skids

Other machines:
Red Handled Shovel
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Orange Shovel

Wish List:
Simplicity P1738E 16.50 TP Briggs ES
post #10 of 16 Old 02-14-2014, 07:25 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 3
Today, the chute control stopped working on my JD 1330se as well. It would turn left, but not right. I removed the switch and separated the housing:

inside, there are 2 rocker/contact mechanisms. I removed them and bent them slightly.

Reassembled and tested. All is back in order.

-Ken

2011 John Deere 1330se

Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks labman thanked for this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page