Snapper Model 8241 Auger Gearbox - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Snowmobile Escrow

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2013, 06:14 PM   #1

Default Snapper Model 8241 Auger Gearbox

I own a Snapper 8241 in great running shape, especially considering it's going on 20+ years of service.

A bolt is used as a fill plug on auger gearcase...lately, I've notice this "plug" wants to loosen up on it's own. I'm guessing the threads in gaerbox are starting to wallow out. Anybody encounter this problem on their machines (regardless of make) ? If so, what did you do for a fix. As we are in the thick of winter in the Midwest I don't want to get too creative like drilling out existing tapped hole and re-tapping to larger size, etc.

Thanks in advance.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2013, 06:48 PM   #2

clean the threads dry with some solvent on a q tip. when they are completely dry use the red loctite (yes the permanent one--it isn't) make it snug and leave it over night to dry. worked for me. not on a auger gearbox but a gear box
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-12-2013, 07:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by td5771 View Post
clean the threads dry with some solvent on a q tip. when they are completely dry use the red loctite (yes the permanent one--it isn't) make it snug and leave it over night to dry. worked for me. not on a auger gearbox but a gear box
red locktite also know as stud and main will work fine. It can be difficult to remove at a later date.

The easiest and safest way to remove the plug in the future is the heat the the plug with a torch, it doesn't need to be real hot. This will loosen the locktit and make it easy to remove.

The other thing you can try is some teflon tape on the threads. It will increase the diameter of the plug some and hopefully keep it tight enough that it won't walk out. This method would make it easy to remove in the future.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlB View Post
red locktite also know as stud and main will work fine. It can be difficult to remove at a later date.

The easiest and safest way to remove the plug in the future is the heat the the plug with a torch, it doesn't need to be real hot. This will loosen the locktit and make it easy to remove.

The other thing you can try is some teflon tape on the threads. It will increase the diameter of the plug some and hopefully keep it tight enough that it won't walk out. This method would make it easy to remove in the future.
CarlB & td5771,

Thanks for your quick replies. I too had thought about using Loctite "red" but was looking for someone like yourselvesthat had some experience with similar type repair. I might just give the old teflon tape trick a try before going Loctite route. I don't think this gearbox would build-up a lot of internal pressure...not sure if it is vented to atmosphere. Besides loosing gear lubricating oil I was concerned about auger picking up the filler plug bolt if it were to back all the way out and launching it like a missle out the discharge chute. Thanks again.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:10 AM   #5

Parts and Diagrams for Snapper 8241 24" 8 HP Two Stage Large Frame Snow Thrower Series 1
1-toro 521E-38052 . 2-toro 521r -38052
1-toro 826E-38150 . 1- powerliteE-38175
william
Old 02-13-2013, 11:14 AM   #6

Teflon tape should work just fine. Another would be pipe dope.
Obviously you could Helicoil it but I agree I don't think there is any pressure buildup in the gearcase so as long as the plug stays in then you should be good-to-go.

Last edited by HCBPH; 02-13-2013 at 11:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement