Manual pull starter on Craftsman snowblower - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Snowmobile Escrow

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2011, 08:45 PM   #1

Default Manual pull starter on Craftsman snowblower

I have a Craftsman 536.887990 2 stage blower, and the rope broke. I have removed the housing and have replaced the rope and wound it manually on the pulley. There seems to be no pretension when I rewind the rope (CCW my default choice) in either direction. When I look at the manual, I don't see any type of rewind spring for tensioning the rope. Is this correct, or is it just a matter of winding the rope and installing it back into the blower? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2011, 09:51 PM   #2

before you install the new starter rope, you have to pre tension the spring, which is located between the pulley the rope goes on and the housing it is mounted in. You must wind this pulley 5-7 turns and line up the holes and then feed the new rope through.You can use a pair of vise grips to clamp the pulley in place while installing the rope. Larry
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-11-2011, 10:07 PM   #3

Thanks Dakota, there in lies my question. It seems that whether I turn the reel in either direction, I don't get any spring back which would indicate tensioning. I get the same reaction whether I turn it CW or CCW. The starter dogs do emerge when the reel is turned CW. When I looked at the parts diagram in the manual, I don't see a torsion type spring. Is there something I need to hold to get the spring to load, or what am I missing? Thanks for your help.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:31 PM   #4

Looking at the parts diagram, I can be more specific. I'm not getting any spring back from the pulley/spring assy when I try to pre tension it when holding the housing. Is there a pressure point that needs to be held besides the housing, or am I now in the market for a new spring assy? My electric starter just went out, so this manual starter has had minimal use. I see its made in China, so I'm not surprised at its quick demise, despite its non use. Anyway, is lubrication or other quick fix a possibility before rebuilding (if that's even possible) if the pulley/spring assy is the problem. Thanks again for your help.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:34 PM   #5

Watch this - it will help
Old 01-11-2011, 10:44 PM   #6

It is possible that it came un hooked... I sent you a video of a tecumseh starter, because it was a craftsman blower. Apparantly ,yours is newer. What engine does it have ?
Old 01-11-2011, 10:51 PM   #7

Excellent video. It seems I'm not getting the spring back when I try to rewind the pulley. The spring must be slipping or just happened to coincidentally break at the same time the rope broke and the electric starter decided to go south for the winter. Just to let you know how this calamity is going, I also tried installing a new electric starter, but the gear on the new starter is about 1/4 inch shorter then the original, and won't make contact with the flywheel. At least I'm getting some good exercise shoveling. Any other suggestions or tricks would be appreciated. Thanks for your quick responses, and insight dacota.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:57 PM   #8

It's a 9 hp tecumseh, but its different then your video. Would a picture help?
Thanks again.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:14 PM   #9

Its getting late, and I appreciate your help dacota. Here is a picture of my starter, if that helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg starter.jpg (195.5 KB, 7 views)
Old 01-11-2011, 11:24 PM   #10

This is the (crappy ) pic sears website has on your recoil. on the backside of the pulley, there should be a spring, which is coiled around the center of the pulley. one end hooks into the pulley, the other into a notch in the housing. if you cannot load tension on the pulley, you may have to carefully remove it to see what is going on. BE CAREFUL !! the spring will want to unwind as soon as it is out of the housing and can injure you if not retained by hand as you are lifting the pulley out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement