old Ariens snowblower - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Snowmobile Escrow

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2011, 12:35 PM   #1

Default old Ariens snowblower

Hey guys,
New to this forum. Used to peruse through the tractor forum. Have a 26hp tractor with a rear mounted snowplow which works great for light amounts of snow.

I recently inherited an old (~1968) Ariens 10M4 dual stage monster of a snowblower. I believe it has a 4hp Tecumseh engine which actually still starts up pretty strong but could be strong when plowing through snow. Recently it was able to slow blow through the 20" of snow in New England (Jan 2010 double Nor'easter). The tires also don't get much traction... pretty much bald.

Has anyone worked with this style snowblower? I need to figure out how to pull off the wheels. I think I have to put a heat gun to the wheels and just pull them off... no cotter pins. Is that right ?

Also... I have this 10 hp Tecumseh engine in the shed that is on my rear tine tiller. I rarely use the tiller so I was thinking I could steal the engine from the tiller and put it on this Ariens blower. But 10hp is a lot of engine for a snowblower... Any thoughts of the viability of this ? If I really had to use the tiller I could always move the engine back. That's not a big deal to me.

The old Ariens is a little ragger but I'll tell you, she threw like a champ once I put on a new belt and tightened the idler puller. Neighbors with new blowers were calling plow trucks with the 20" of snow and I was just chugging away slowly but surely. I'm hoping putting on the 10hp engine and new tires will help me "plow" through the heavy stuff faster.

Sorry about the length. Look forward to any thoughts.

Thanks for reading,
Plowman
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2011, 01:05 PM   #2

Does yours have 3 bolts in the rims? Most of the wheels are bolted to hubs. Yours appears to be very old though. I just replaced an HM80 with an 11HP engine on mine. You probably could get away with the 10HP.

Have a look at Scot's page:
The Ariens 1960's and 1970's Sno-Thro info site.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-17-2011, 03:33 AM   #3

There are two bolts but I'm not sure I'd say they are bolted to the rim. If memory serves correct the three bolts/nuts are tractor side... I'll try to get a picture and show it.... thanks
Old 01-17-2011, 03:34 AM   #4

I meant three bolts...
Old 01-17-2011, 05:35 AM   #5

Here are the 3 bolts that hold my rims on.

Here are some pictures of the hub behind the rim:

Old Ariens 6 hp Snow Thrower Spur Gear Replacement
Old 01-17-2011, 12:26 PM   #6

I'll have to take a look tonight... I swear it doesn't look like that... I know there's a hubcap and supposedly 3 cotter pins behind it... so maybe the hubcap is covering 3 bolts & 3 cotter pins... The tires on this machine are solid, not pneumatic. Though I may put some pneumatic tires on there, if I can get the old ones off !
Old 01-17-2011, 12:45 PM   #7

I was looking on Scot's site and it looked like the really old ones used some different mounts.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:50 PM   #8

Yeah, this one's really old. 1966-1968. So it was too cold in the shed to take pictures but this is what happened. Took off the hubcap. Found a 3/4" washer and a cotter pin around/through a 3/4" shaft... I removed the cotter pin (not so easy) and the washer (easy) and now I'm left with a wheel/hub. I can feel 6 nuts on the inside of the wheel hub. I see the 6 flat bolt heads on the outside. I guess I need to remove those 6 nuts... These nuts and bolts seem to be attaching the hub to the wheel. I wonder how you get the hub off the shaft... pulling on the hub and wheel didn't make the wheel come off like I would hope. Gonna do some research and read some unclear Ariens assembly PN diagrams to see if I can make any more sense out of it. Any more ideas ?
Old 01-17-2011, 06:59 PM   #9

Shryp,
Thanks for the help. I think my wheel/hub looks more like this one you posted Old Ariens 6 hp Snow Thrower Spur Gear Replacement than yours. But I seem to have 6 little bolts instead of 3 big ones... pita. So remove the 6 nuts/bolts and then... find a new wheel with same bolt pattern or drill holes to match.....
Old 01-17-2011, 10:27 PM   #10

That link is exactly what mine looks like behind the rims.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement