Troy built worm gear - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Snowmobile Escrow

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2011, 07:45 PM   #1

Default Troy built worm gear

I bought a Troy bult model 2410 two stage snowblower last year. Today the auger stopped turning. I opened the gear box a little and saw that the worm gear was worn down. My question is how to get the shaft out so i can slide the augers off to replace the gear? Thanks, brian
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2014, 03:32 PM   #2

Default Troybuilt Worm Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinkstr View Post
I bought a Troy bult model 2410 two stage snowblower last year. Today the auger stopped turning. I opened the gear box a little and saw that the worm gear was worn down. My question is how to get the shaft out so i can slide the augers off to replace the gear? Thanks, brian
This is VERY common with this model snowblower.

If you are mechanically inclined, this is a fairly straight forward fix. You have to remove a couple cable brackets, remove the belt drive cover and turnhead handle bracket at the turnhead and then seperate the auger housing from the motor frame (4 bolts). Keep track of where the bolts go. Once the two housings are separated you need to remove the single bolt that retains the pulley and spacer. This is a fine thread bolt. once the pulley and spacer is separated you should unbolt the two auger bearing cups from each side or the auger housing with these bearing cups unsecured the whole auger assembly will be able to removed from the blower. Then simply separate the gear housing, clean the gunk and shavings out, install the new parts and assemble in the reverse order. Be sure to use a low temperature grease in the gear case.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-03-2014, 03:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by donhare View Post
This is VERY common with this model snowblower.

If you are mechanically inclined, this is a fairly straight forward fix. You have to remove a couple cable brackets, remove the belt drive cover and turnhead handle bracket at the turnhead and then seperate the auger housing from the motor frame (4 bolts). Keep track of where the bolts go. Once the two housings are separated you need to remove the single bolt that retains the pulley and spacer. This is a fine thread bolt. once the pulley and spacer is separated you should unbolt the two auger bearing cups from each side or the auger housing with these bearing cups unsecured the whole auger assembly will be able to removed from the blower. Then simply separate the gear housing, clean the gunk and shavings out, install the new parts and assemble in the reverse order. Be sure to use a low temperature grease in the gear case.
Thanks for the helpful fist post. Unfortunately this thread was started over 3 years ago so I don't think you will be much help to him. Did you come here because you just had the same issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement