Broken Chute Joystick - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Snowmobile Escrow

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2011, 12:55 PM   #1

Question Broken Chute Joystick

I bought a Troy Bilt Storm 2840 this year from Lowes. Haven't had any real problems until yesterday. The joystick that moves the chute won't turn from side to side at all. It is just kind of hanging there. I'm not sure if there is some sort of gear box inside there that is out of alignment or what the deal is. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I know I should just find a place to take it. But up here in Maine we are looking at three more storms this week alone and if I have to move the chute manually then that is what I will do. Thanks.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2011, 01:00 PM   #2

Any chance water got in the cables and froze?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-05-2011, 01:12 PM   #3

It has a rod that runs out of the control box to move it left to right. It's almost like the rod slipped out but I can't seem to get it slid back in where it should go.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:19 PM   #4

Have you checked the owners manual? Maybe the adjustment or setup section will tell you how it goes back together.

I have never had one myself, so no idea.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:21 PM   #5

I did they only show the adjustment on the chute end and nothing on the joystick end.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:26 PM   #6

The Hex Rod needs to be fitted all the way into the receiver in the control box.

Also, there is a cotter-like pin at the chute end.....do you still have the pin there? if that pin came out, then your control stick won't do anything.

Does the chute up and down work?
Old 02-05-2011, 06:55 PM   #7

The chute still goes up and down and the button you push to move the chute still works. The cotter pin is still there and the hex rod is all the way into the reciever. The joystick spins around in the tube that comes up from the reciever but it seems like the gears don't match up with each other. Guess I will take the box apart when it stops snowing.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:09 AM   #8

When you move the joystick, does the hex rod move at all?

If not, from the breakout below,it looks like you may just want to take the control box apart and have a look inside....

Old 02-06-2011, 09:54 AM   #9
Super Moderator

Since you said you bought it this year at Lowe's, have you talked to them about it? I'm not familiar with their policies, but seems there should be a warranty coverage of some kind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement