I keep ripping up belts on my Ariens - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Snowmobile Escrow

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2013, 02:52 PM   #1

Default I keep ripping up belts on my Ariens

Hi, new member here (I just found this site from mytractorforum.com)

I have an Ariens 926103 ST1332LE snowblower and I keep destroying the belt at least once a year.

The last one I took off had the belt width very narrow in one section (with belt shavings all over the inside of the unit.)

I have:
- examined the belt-finger and it and seems to be in spec with the spacing between it and the belt.
- checked the clearance between the belt and the brake pad and that seems okay

Today (because I have no other options) I removed the shear bolts - maybe they were in wrong or over-tightened.) One of them was very bent - but not broken. I assume these shear bolts can be inserted either end of the openings. I was using Oregon brand replacement shear bolts part # 51001500. They are labeled as Ariens replacement and "look" to be the same.

I had this looked at one time and got nothing except a huge bill. I am not sure what else I can do but it is a royal pain to change this belt (plus the cost) and it gets minimal use per year.

If anyone has any insight or advice on what to look for as to why I keep destroying a belt I would be extremely grateful for your help. Thank you.

Ray
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2013, 02:57 PM   #2

Welcome to the site. If you a post a picture it can help some members identify your issue. It could be many things from the belt not being aligned, to much tension or to loose, and even to a bad bearing in the auger assembly. So there are quite a few things to look at so a picture may be able to help you identify your problem.

other toys
Troybuilt Horse 70s or 80s model
Troybuilt Econo-horse
John Deere Jx75
John Deere Js46
John Deere 111

and a few other parts machines.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-16-2013, 03:06 PM   #3

Are you using proper belts? Belts designed for a snow blower are different than generic belts at an auto parts store. You need heavy duty kevlar cord belts.

Also, there was an upgrade available for some models to upgrade from a single belt to dual belts for the auger. That could help you. Snowmann would be the one to tell you if it is available for your blower or not.

http://www.abbysguide.com/ope/discus...40925-A-1.html

If one section of your belt is worn significantly and there are shavings everywhere it sounds like your belt is slipping on the engine pulley. Either it needs tightened or you need to stop holding the auger lever down with the impeller frozen.

Last edited by Shryp; 12-16-2013 at 03:11 PM.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:13 PM   #4

I am using only Ariens belts and the part number on them is the part number listed in my owners manual which is Ariens part 07200021.

There are two belts one is for the impeller and one is for the traction drive. I am very curious to see about the dual belts. Thanks.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shryp View Post
Are you using proper belts? Belts designed for a snow blower are different than generic belts at an auto parts store. You need heavy duty kevlar cord belts.

Also, there was an upgrade available for some models to upgrade from a single belt to dual belts for the auger. That could help you. Snowmann would be the one to tell you if it is available for your blower or not.

Ariens #526025: 8.5-11.5 Belt Improvement Kit

If one section of your belt is worn significantly and there are shavings everywhere it sounds like your belt is slipping on the engine pulley. Either it needs tightened or you need to stop holding the auger lever down with the impeller frozen.

Frozen Snowblower Auger = Wrecked Belt - YouTube

That guy makes some good videos! I've seen a bunch of his videos in the past. That is pretty much what my belt looks like - thin in one section and all cracked underneath. I could SWEAR that the auger is never jammed when I am using it. Last year, the last time I used it for the season, it was barely throwing the snow and then the belt died (I replaced the belt) and probably tomorrow in the North-east all snowblowers will be out and in operation. I tested mine today, changed oil, put new shear bolts on. Auger is running good, let's see how it goes tomorrow.

I checked into that Ariens belt modify kit and it looks like it only goes up to 11.5 hp models. Mine is a 13 hp model so I'm not sure if that would work or if there is another Ariens kit. If there is such a kit for the larger models and it would help - I would definitely purchase that.

I am wondering if anything else could be "out of alignment" or anything.

Thanks for your help!
Old 12-16-2013, 04:33 PM   #6

If your belt is loose it can be slipping and causing similar issues when you dive into a snow bank.

Per Snowmann:
Quote:
FYI,

This 52602500 kit isn't the one you're referring to.

The dual auger belt accessory kit you are referring to is 72600700 for the 8.5 to 11.5hp Tecumseh models (and Briggs equipped 926,XXX models with single belt auger drives) and 72600800 for the 13hp Tecumseh models. It's priced in the $35 range and fairly easy to install. This would be for 2005 and 2006 model 926,XXX machines. This became standard equipment on all 926,XXX and 921,XXX machines in 2007. A nice feature for sure.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:33 PM   #7

There is another Ariens belt kit for the 13 hp models. That part is
Ariens 526024
Old 12-16-2013, 04:36 PM   #8

Quote:
If your belt is loose it can be slipping and causing similar issues when you dive into a snow bank.

Per Snowmann:
I don't see anything where I can adjust this. It seems like hand lever hit - boom - engaged. Hard to test of course when the unit is apart but maybe this is the case. Belt finger spacing and brake pad spacing seem okay. Is there an adjustment for Ariens models do you know? Thank you.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:40 PM   #9

Page 25, http://apache.ariens.com/manuals/00483700_ENG.pdf
Old 12-16-2013, 04:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Doh! Thanks! I don't remember if I checked the length of that spring when it was engaged or not engaged. I did check the brake clearance. SOB maybe this is it.

Oh, the part that I listed was a belt upgrade kit but for the traction side of things. Not the auger. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement