Engine only runs on full choke - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Snowmobile Escrow

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2011, 06:15 PM   #1

Default Engine only runs on full choke

Took apart my ariens Tecumseh float bowl type carb, and installed the overhaul kit...cleaned it...wasn't that dirty. Didn't touch the welsh plugs.

After putting it in the snow blower, it only runs with full chock. Adjusted it a bit, but still not go. runs great on idle.

One thing I did find was the float to carb body was set with the space of a 1/8" drill bit, well thats what I used to make sure I kept the reference, just in case. So, according to the manual, it really should be at 11/64 drill bit size.

Now I'm wondering it that is the problem. maybe the right setting was 1/8". It didn't have a problem with the machine prior to rebuild and float adjustment.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2011, 06:22 PM   #2

by the manual it should be 11/64. what are the mixture screws set at? run it with full choke then turn the high speed mixture screw out. as you turn it out more you should be able to open up the choke.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-24-2011, 06:55 PM   #3

thats only if the float set at 1/8 is ok, it might be fine like that.

if you cant richen the fuel mixture and open up the choke there is another prob.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:01 PM   #4

mixture screws were initially set at main = 1 - 1/2 turn, idle = 1turn. No problem engine running at idle.

As i turned the high speed i tried to open the choke, it would stall.

I jus wonder if the float really needs to go back to 1/8"
Old 12-24-2011, 07:32 PM   #5

did you remove the small rubber seat under the float needle. if you did not, the chemical, if any, you used to clean the carb may have swelled the seat up and closed up the inlet hole. or it may have come out and is missing all together.

the float needle.....rubber tip or metal.
Old 12-24-2011, 09:51 PM   #6

If It was 1/8in before and it was fine then change back the variable that you changed. I'd set the float back to 1/8th. 11/64ths might be enough larger that it won't let in enough fuel at wot.
Old 12-25-2011, 02:16 AM   #7

Another thing. When you cleaned this, did you remove the carb from the engine or leave it on there? If you removed it, did you replace the gaskets? If you reused the old gaskets did you make sure they were still in good shape and tightened everything down good? An air leak where the carb connects to the engine could cause problems.

Could have also let something come loose and partially block the fuel flow. It could be something in the tank blocking the small screen, it could be the fuel line itself, or a combination of the 2 could have let more crap drop into the fuel bowl after you cleaned it.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:05 AM   #8

I assume this is a 4cycle machine, ariens with a tecumseh could be a 2 stroke... If it is a 2 stroke you probably have other issues...crank case seal or crank shaft seals, making it run lean. 4 cycle sounds like you didn't do the carb right. I'd take the bowl back off and have a look, the welch plugs you didn't take off are important but mainly for the idle circuit. Make sure your float is good, had a few with pin holes and they'll do all sorts of thing. Make model and year of engine or machine would help.
Old 12-25-2011, 07:57 PM   #9

When I cleaned it, I removed it from the engine. Gasket were in good condition, but I'll shoot some carb spray on at the connection, to make sure it's not pulling air in.

I did remove the needle gasket, cleaned the carb, blew it out with a little air, and installed a new needle gasket.

Also this is a 4 cycle engine
Old 12-25-2011, 08:05 PM   #10

Also the engine is an HM80
Sponsored Links
Advertisement