LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 11-27-2014, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Husqvarna ST227P

Well I haven't used a 2 stage machine in years so I was thinking of reviewing my new machine from an "average joe" type user. I was thinking of making this a running review throughout the season and just give my thoughts on it as time goes on.
First off the vitals of the machine:
Make: Husqvarna
Engine: 254cc Husqvarna branded LCT (approx 8.5hp)
Clearing Width: 27 inches
Other Features: LED Head Lamps
Heated Handgrips
Freewheel Triggers for "power" steering

Why I chose this unit: I spent probably about a month or so going back and forth between Ariens, Toro, and Husqvarna. Honda was out of my budget. The new Huqvarna line this year just felt good to me and has a 5 year warrantee on the engine and gear box. My needs were for typical mix of snow in southern New England from heavy, wet, sloppy stuff to dry powder. I don't have a huge area to clear but like to help out the neighbors if needed. I wanted a machine that will last, had a Yard Machines 5hp 22" years ago from one of the "Big Box" stores that was awful and only lasted about 3 or 4 years before falling apart. Needed the power to clear the crud at the end of the driveway the plows so generously donate to my work load. Need a headlight as it is usually dark when I get home from work and need to clear the incline to even get in the driveway.
Lurking in the forums made the decision process more daunting but more rewarding at the same time. I would like to thank all who contribute and aid in educating those of us with less experience. Granted Husqvarna doesn't have a ton of activity and it is a redesign from previous models but like I said it just felt right. I did purchase from a local dealer that services the machines in house and have dealt with them many time before. They did not try to push me to one brand or the other but gave me good advice on what fit my needs and budget.

First Use: I was a bit "lucky" to be able to use it on the day I took delivery of it. We got about 2-3" of heay, wet, slushy crud to play with. My neighbor stopped over to check out the new machine. Fired up first pull and tossed the slush about 8 feet or so with no clogging. So far so good. 1st gear is a bit slow but worked well with this mess. "Power" steering works great and was able to pivot steer at the end of the driveway.

Second Use: Woke up Thanksgiving day and saw we had about 4" more that fell overnight. Temps around 30 Farenheit so I knew some of the slushy stuff would have frozen up. Fired up fist pull again and went to work. It chewed through everything throwing about 10-15 feet and in spots over the neighbors fence (sorry Jim). Climed the incline of the driveway like a Sherpa on Everest, nible and agile like it knew wher to go next. I did forget that a 2 stage machine has a ballance point. To those who have never used one ot is hard to describe but it has a feel to it. If you put a bit too much weight toward the bucket end the scraper bar catches and it will buck a bit on you. Once you get the feel for it, it becomes second nature. The heated Handgrips are great. They don't get hot but keep your hands comfortable. The skids are good but I may look into snowblowerskids when they come out with a model for the new Husq line as I have some grassy uneven areas to keep clear as well. The stock ones did a good job but think the longer skids will do better.

I will post updates as the season goes on and answer any questions on this model the best I can. Hope everyone has a safe and snowy season.

Al a.k.a. GP

Last edited by GPLarge; 11-27-2014 at 11:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-28-2014, 05:54 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 16
Thanks (Received): 43
Likes (Given): 41
Likes (Received): 77
Here are my skids that I have on my Husqvarna 924HVX. I made these from nylon and so far I really like them. They carry me over the uneven joints in the driveway-sidewalk with ease. Longer skids gave me the confidence to set my machine at the lowest possible level and not worry about clunking into uneven concrete. I have a steep transition from the driveway to road and they work great for that also. Enjoy your new machine and keep us informed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SD532138.jpg (120.6 KB, 71 views)
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks dr bob thanked for this post
post #3 of 14 Old 11-30-2014, 09:48 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Received): 5
I just picked my st227p yesterday and today it is 52 degrees in Michigan!
I hear from one source that the Husqvarna/LCT engine gets way more life than the B&S engines. Looking forward to your review.
post #4 of 14 Old 11-30-2014, 12:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 16
Thanks (Received): 43
Likes (Given): 41
Likes (Received): 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmag View Post
I just picked my st227p yesterday and today it is 52 degrees in Michigan!
I hear from one source that the Husqvarna/LCT engine gets way more life than the B&S engines. Looking forward to your review.
Congrats on your new XT227p maxmag. I have not heard the the LCT's are one way or the other as far as engine life. Isn't the 254cc engine fairly new?
post #5 of 14 Old 11-30-2014, 04:16 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Received): 5
It was explained to me that Husqvarna and Ariens have their own LCT factories in china That they do their own quality control, etc. in. [as I understand it] Not sure on the 254cc engine.
post #6 of 14 Old 12-05-2014, 07:47 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Received): 15
Check out Who Makes Briggs & Stratton, MTD, Craftsman, Ariens, and Husqvarna Snow Blower Engines - MovingSnow.com for a great review of snow blower engines. Apparently the Husqvarna/LCT engine will "last" 4 times as long as a B&S engine. Mind you they are all good engines and if a B&S will last 10-12 years , well 4 times that long is a looong time
post #7 of 14 Old 12-05-2014, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 35
Thanks (Received): 218
Likes (Given): 78
Likes (Received): 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadagoose View Post
Check out Who Makes Briggs & Stratton, MTD, Craftsman, Ariens, and Husqvarna Snow Blower Engines - MovingSnow.com for a great review of snow blower engines. Apparently the Husqvarna/LCT engine will "last" 4 times as long as a B&S engine. Mind you they are all good engines and if a B&S will last 10-12 years , well 4 times that long is a looong time
I love the logic on that site:

Quote:
LCT is not a “Chinese” engine. It is an American company. The engines are engineered here in the U.S. and manufactured in their own factories overseas (China).
So, its made in China, but its not a "Chinese engine"?
ok then..

Scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 14 Old 12-05-2014, 10:42 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zavie View Post
Congrats on your new XT227p maxmag. I have not heard the the LCT's are one way or the other as far as engine life. Isn't the 254cc engine fairly new?
I spoke with the LCT distributor in Canada (based in Montreal) if I ever wanted to repower with one and they say the 254cc is the direct replacement for Tecumsehs 8 to 11hp. I said to him that it cannot be equal in ft/lb torque than a 11hp Tec and he responded it was the engine available to match shaft height and engine base footprint.
I have to say that I'm far to being convinced as LCT has a winterised 369cc that is close to my 11hp in torque, just a passing through comment.

Snow Removal Apparatus I own:
Ariens ST1530DLE, and good ole arm powered scrapper.
The 15 HP is a new Ducar engine sold
by Princess Auto in Canada.
post #9 of 14 Old 12-05-2014, 06:34 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Received): 15
I think most of the engines , even the "American made" B&S have factories in China. Cheaper labour. Even the engines that are not assembled in China are made with parts from China. It's just the way the world works. We all want less expensive but then whine when it's made in a country that provides cheap labour.
post #10 of 14 Old 12-07-2014, 04:45 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Hi GPLarge, I just bought one of these myself, but I'm having a couple issues. Do you have any belt cover clearance issues? My drive belt tensioner pulley is hitting my belt cover wearing away at the plastic. Also, is there much movement in your auger and impeller shafts? My whole unit seems to wobble. Thanks for any insight.

Last edited by AE101; 12-07-2014 at 04:46 AM. Reason: sp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page