2017 East Coast Blizzard Contest: Help a Neighbor! - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 01-07-2017, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Site Sponsor

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 29
2017 East Coast Blizzard Contest: Help a Neighbor!

Help a Neighbor in the blizzard contest!

Lets do this again! I'm buying 3 $50 gift cards.

When I hear a big snow is coming I absolutely canít wait, I love the deep stuff and canít wait to get out in it. Iím sure most of you feel the same way. However we all have neighbors that may be older or not in prime health that struggle when it snows. We can help. Most of us probably already help out those around us. Those donít count. Especially in this snow, we can do more. So letís have a contest!

Contest Rules:
1) 1) Post a snow storm-related picture. It may be of the snow, your snowblower, your kids or dog or you playing in the snow. Or a picture of a cup of hot chocolate while you ride out the storm inside. Any photo will do!

2) 2) When you post the picture, youíre PROMISING to help someone else out during this storm THAT YOU DONíT NORMALLY HELP OUT. If you normally help 2 people out, those donít count. Itís the third person you help out that counts. Look around your neighborhood. Identify someone who struggles. Plow/snowblower/shovel them out. Check back later and do it again if needed. It can be someone you know, or a totally random house where youíve noticed someone elderly struggling in the past. It actually a lot of fun to do a random persons house. If youíve got kids, get them involved. Have them drive around and help choose the house and all of you can shovel them out as a family.

On Jan 31st Iíll write the number of each post on a piece of paper, throw them in a hat, and RANDOMLY draw 3 numbers out. Those 3 people will each get a $50 gift card from their choice of either Home Depot or Menards, or Lowes.

BUT I DON'T HAVE SNOW! What do I do? Can I still participate?
YES! Help someone out in some way. Go out of your way to help someone. Post here with some picture of some kind, and you are entered!

Lets see those pictures!
Bob Sayre
Owner
Snowblowerskids.com
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Grunt thanked for this post
Likes JD in NJ, nwcove liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-31-2017, 10:27 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 15
Thanks to the joys of owning an iPhone and it constantly running out of space to take new photos I don't have anything of the recent snowfalls to share or a pic of the snowblower in action after it was reassembled so here's a selfie using a Sigma ultra wide angle lens less than 20' away on our way back from the North Pole having a little fun.

That aside, with my Yamaha YS-624 fully rebuilt it finally fired up just before leaving for work for a month back in December. I was in my glee after seeing the machine come to life. I quickly ran inside to change, goggles and all and brought the Yamaha out of the shed for the first time! We had maybe 6" on the ground, during that time as per usual East Coast Newfoundland weather it was in a change over from snow to rain. Being irritated by the vehicles in the way in my own driveway and the high winds blowing everything back in my face I moved onto my neighbours driveway, as he works away days or weeks at a time, to have a little more fun. While he has a snowblower, it gave me a chance to test mine out in an open unobstructed place and if he were to return the next day all the nicer. Once I finished there, because I was having waaay to much fun I proceeded to my neighbour on the other side of me, two single mothers, winter weather weapon of choice being a shovel. They're usually on top of the snow situation but I wanted to help them out with a little drifting that occurred at 10pm, not something you want to tackle in the morning.

At this point I was still getting a feel for the machine and its quarks, not sure of all the sounds it's suppose to make or not make. A few times I thought something was broke, perhaps I pushed it a little too hard, maybe it was out of gas. I limped back to my driveway, checked everything over, fired it back up again and all seemed fine.

At this point, another neighbour across and one house to the left was out with is Poulan Pro. I offered to help but he seemed content on tackling it alone.

Of course, things didn't end there. The older lady directly across the street, while she does have an Ariens, I've never seen her use it. She's always out with her classic red aluminum shovel, moving one small scoop at a time. The lights were on, no car in the driveway so I thought I'd do a good deed. I should mention the driveway is gravel, I flicked up a few pieces in my newly painted everything Yamaha, but I continued on. At this point I realized why it felt the machine would struggle at times, only blowing snow like most other snowblowers, the throttle control level slowly rattled back to 1/2. Quickly pushing it forward I was almost hitting her neighbours car 50' away. Adjusting the chute deflector to keep snow and gravel in the general vicinity I made several more cuts only to look up and see she was indeed home after all, watching me through the living room window. I continued to clean up her driveway and cut a path to her steps where I slowly made my way back to my place, cleaned up the rest of the mess, my snowboard jacket now completely wet but still shedding water, I made my way back to the shed, locked everything up and hung everything up to dry. What a great night! =D
THE Wolfman likes this.

YAMAHA YS624 |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by GregNL; 01-31-2017 at 10:32 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes nwcove liked this post
post #3 of 11 Old 01-31-2017, 10:40 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 15
Likes (Received): 24
Brother had issues with his old blower (single stage) so I told him to come over and loaded my main small but solid Snapper in the back of my truck, I did half the driveway before he came back out with his gloves lol then he took over to see how a 2 stage would do on the driveway, worked great so then he found one and of course I had to go pick it up with him, ST224 now sits in his garage.
THE Wolfman likes this.

Last edited by Dauntae; 01-31-2017 at 10:44 PM.
post #4 of 11 Old 02-01-2017, 01:55 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 28
Likes (Given): 8
Likes (Received): 64
Well a day late, but never the less.

Gotta work on some action shots.
THE Wolfman likes this.

Honda HSS1328AATD
MTD Gold 826
Simplicity 520
Toro Powerlite
post #5 of 11 Old 02-01-2017, 08:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 96
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregNL View Post

=D
You're gonna need at least one more guy pushing on that ship to move it I think.

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp
post #6 of 11 Old 02-01-2017, 09:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Received): 15
Considering it took 27,000 HP to put it there, I think you're right, lol. Made for a great photo though!

YAMAHA YS624 |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 Old 02-05-2017, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Site Sponsor

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 29
Alright the winners are:
drmerdp
dauntae
GregNL

Please pm me and let me know your preference (HD/Menards/Lowes) and your address so I can send you the card. Thanks!
--Bob
post #8 of 11 Old 02-05-2017, 08:02 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 15
Likes (Received): 24
I'm all for winning a prize but feel a little guilty since we are the only 3 who replied, I personally would have ne objections to extending the contest to get a few more replies. Not sure why there are so few, Sounded like a fun contest. Sort of surprised at the low post count to be honest. I'll send my info but if you extend it and there turns to a vote it is all good with me.
post #9 of 11 Old 02-05-2017, 08:34 PM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 29
Thanks (Received): 108
Likes (Given): 176
Likes (Received): 337
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauntae View Post
I'm all for winning a prize but feel a little guilty since we are the only 3 who replied, I personally would have ne objections to extending the contest to get a few more replies. Not sure why there are so few, Sounded like a fun contest. Sort of surprised at the low post count to be honest. I'll send my info but if you extend it and there turns to a vote it is all good with me.
it hasnt been a real winter here so far, and even to help out others for non snow related stuff.....thats the norm in my area. enjoy your prize ! i would have posted something, if i had something worthy of posting !

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

post #10 of 11 Old 02-27-2017, 08:55 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 30
Likes (Received): 6
Congratulations to the 3 winners.

Ariens Platinum 30 SHO- AX414, 20.0 lb.ft torque.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks GregNL thanked for this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page