Snow Joe Problem - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Snowmobile Escrow

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2014, 08:09 PM   #1

Default Snow Joe Problem

I have a 13.5 Amp Snow Joe and it works great for a very short time. It seems the thermal protection shuts it off by just blowing a few inches of normal snow for less than 5 minutes.

I have thought of bypassing the thermal device but then I risk burning out the motor.

Any advice? Has anyone had this problem with a Snow Joe?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2014, 08:14 PM   #2

Are you using a good thick extension cord? If the gauge of wire is not thick enough it will causes extra heat.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-17-2014, 09:11 PM   #3

hope you are using a heavy duty extension cord
sounds like the same problem my cousin encountered with my electric power washer using a medium duty extension cord
1-toro 521E-38052 . 2-toro 521r -38052
1-toro 826E-38150 . 1- powerliteE-38175 n.r.
1-............, TORO XL 824..............
william
Old 01-17-2014, 09:36 PM   #4

My extension cord is only about 25 feet long, but it is only a light duty one. I'll try with a thicker cord and report back. Thanks for the suggestion, guys.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:04 PM   #5

I have a 13.5 amp Snow Joe. Instructions said to use a 12 gauge extension cord. If you're not using a heavy duty cord, this is probably your problem.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzque2 View Post
I have a 13.5 amp Snow Joe. Instructions said to use a 12 gauge extension cord. If you're not using a heavy duty cord, this is probably your problem.
Ditto
Old 01-18-2014, 01:16 PM   #7

I found a 12 guage, 50 foot extension that should be MUCH better. It's the heavy duty one used for campers, etc. The problem is exactly the same. I think I'm going to try and bypass the thermal cutout device and make sure I don't overload the motor. That should tell me if the device needs replacement.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:34 PM   #8

You could try a different outlet before you go taking the machine apart.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:50 PM   #9

The outlet is fine. I have run compressors, electric mowers and table saws off the same outlet. It has a 15Amp GFCI also.

I just took the unit apart (which was a bit of a chore). Lo and behold! The circuit breaker that was attached to the side of the motor is rated at only 5 Amps! This has to be the problem because the unit is advertised as having a 13.5 Amp motor.

I can't find any circuit breaker specs on the web and the manufacturer is closed today. I might just see if I can find a 10 amp breaker and try that. I will report back with results next week.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:15 PM   #10

After several emails and phone calls, I have contacted a technician at Snow Joe in NJ and explained the situation. He informed me that this unit should have had a 15Amp circuit breaker installed. He is going to ship me one no charge. I'm sure this will solve the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement