Broken Toro 421 for sale - is it worth it? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 02-15-2017, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Broken Toro 421 for sale - is it worth it?

Found this on Craigslist: https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/grd/5999513677.html

I'm on a budget and rent - when I buy a place, I'll get a really nice machine. Till then, landlord keeps the rent low as long as I shovel and I can't stand my single stage any longer. Found this Toro 421 and was wondering if it's worth buying off the guy? He says it doesn't start, which is the obvious concern. If it's a gummy carb or a spark plug, I found a great deal. If it's a cracked block or broken piston, I'm an idiot.

I'm going to look at it, but is there anything I should look for when checking this machine over? Any tests I can do on site to see if it's worth fixing up?

Last edited by WalkThisWhey; 02-15-2017 at 10:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-15-2017, 11:10 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 399
Thanks (Received): 190
Likes (Given): 233
Likes (Received): 486
A cracked block will be leaking oil all over the place. pull it over without the plug wire on it to see if there any compression or funny noises coming from that general area. more than likely needs a new plug and carb cleaning. yank on the augers to see if there is a lot of play in the front end. those are soild tires so you will never get a flat out in the middle of no man's land. check it out have a good looksee at it. and offer him a 50 spot for it that is if you take a shine to it. anyhoo, ALOHA from the Paradise City.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 14 Old 02-15-2017, 11:14 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Received): 16
Check the oil. If that's fine pull the spark plug and shoot a bit of starting fluid into it and put the plug back. I'm not sure if that has a drive disk but tip it forward and look underneath. Go for it if all checks out.
post #4 of 14 Old 02-15-2017, 11:21 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 15
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 24
What I always do is bring a fresh plug and starting fluid, carb could be missing and it will fire for a few secs on fluid, that will tell you if it will run. And of course the plug because well most non runners have bad plugs
post #5 of 14 Old 02-15-2017, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
These are good tips, I'll pick up some starting fluid and a plug. Are the solid wheels better than air tires? Looks like I'd have a hard time finding replacements so I will be checking that out.
post #6 of 14 Old 02-15-2017, 11:44 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 2
If it looks good and the engine has compression and spark it would be hard to go wrong at that price. Rather than starting fluid which is extremely hard on aluminum pistons and cylinders, squirt some fresh gas into the spark plug hole. If it fires you have found the problem. It will be a little difficult to check the drive without running the machine or removing the bottom cover which the seller is not likely to permit.
As was mentioned the tires will never go flat but provide marginal traction. You could install chains but the machine will shake your fillings loose on a hard surface.
post #7 of 14 Old 02-15-2017, 11:50 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyM View Post
If it looks good and the engine has compression and spark it would be hard to go wrong at that price. Rather than starting fluid which is extremely hard on aluminum pistons and cylinders, squirt some fresh gas into the spark plug hole. If it fires you have found the problem. It will be a little difficult to check the drive without running the machine or removing the bottom cover which the seller is not likely to permit.
As was mentioned the tires will never go flat but provide marginal traction. You could install chains but the machine will shake your fillings loose on a hard surface.
FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!! I am not the only one that thinks using starting fluid is a bad idea. I have seen it blow holes in pistons. MAHALO for speaking up on that 1.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #8 of 14 Old 02-15-2017, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERSHIFT93 View Post
FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!! I am not the only one that thinks using starting fluid is a bad idea. I have seen it blow holes in pistons. MAHALO for speaking up on that 1.
I'm actually glad I am finding this out now, as I've never had to use starting fluid before. Better the internet than on my car

Have found I can use WD40 as a starting fluid - is this also acceptable? And where do I spray it - air intake or into the spark plug hole?
post #9 of 14 Old 02-15-2017, 12:04 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 67
Thanks (Received): 199
Likes (Given): 132
Likes (Received): 553
Please watch this vid before buying ANY used blower.
Personally, I feel this video should be required watching before anyone buys a used blower.

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.

Toro 5/21
Ariens 5/22 ss
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24
Old green plastic snow shovel
Old quarry shovel for ice.
post #10 of 14 Old 02-15-2017, 12:43 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkThisWhey View Post
I'm actually glad I am finding this out now, as I've never had to use starting fluid before. Better the internet than on my car

Have found I can use WD40 as a starting fluid - is this also acceptable? And where do I spray it - air intake or into the spark plug hole?
Can't say that I have ever heard of that 1 before. I have heard of it being used to check for vaccum leaks around the carb.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page