LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 02-17-2017, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
826 OXE or 824 QXE

Hi everyone, I'm a new homeowner looking to invest in snowblower. I've been doing a lot of reading and research and I've basically narrowed it down to the PowerMax 826 OXE and the SnowMaster 824 QXE. I live in the suburbs near Boston where I believe we average over 50". Seems like everyone loves the Snowmaster and I was leaning towards that one, but I'm worried I'm going to need a 2 stage for my area. They are priced almost the same, so price is irrelevant to me. Would love to see what you guys thought. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-17-2017, 01:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 385
Thanks (Received): 178
Likes (Given): 226
Likes (Received): 452
Have you looked at them in person??????????? That is really the only way to get a feel of them. Other wise it sounds like you have made up your mind. where are you planning on getting said machine???????? Anyhoo, ALOHA from the Paradise City.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 16 Old 02-17-2017, 02:02 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 14
You definitely need a 2 stage. The Powermax 826 OXE has been discontinued, you'd be better off with the Ariens ST24LE 254cc or the Cub Cadet 3x28 357cc. With the Ariens you are putting the same HP into 24" instead of 26" so it will be more powerful.
post #4 of 16 Old 02-17-2017, 02:36 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 22
Likes (Given): 7
Likes (Received): 40
The snow master has exceeded many expectations. You are in a tough location though. I think the general concensus has been that the snowmaster is great for snow amounts up to 9-10 inches. Two stage machines might be better suited to the Boston area.

Honda HSS928atd
MTD Gold 826
MTD 5.5 21"
Toro Powerlite
post #5 of 16 Old 02-17-2017, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
No I haven't look at it in person yet but definitely something I was planning to do. I plan to pick it up at Home Depot and that's only because I have a bunch of credit and gcs I need to use. That's also part of the reason I narrowed it down to these two machines. Looks like general consensus is 2 stage is the way to go. The Ariens Deluxe 28 was also one I was considering. Thank you for the responses everyone, I appreciate it.
post #6 of 16 Old 02-17-2017, 04:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 4
I'm pretty confident that the Snowmaster would be enough for you in Boston, but I'm in the Midwest, not the Northeast, so trust your own experience in your area. My lower-powered Snowmaster 724 has outperformed all of my neighbors' two stage machines handily, so I'm quite sure the 824 would be more than enough.

Toro Snowmaster 724QXE

Last edited by ultimatejimmy; 02-17-2017 at 04:46 PM.
post #7 of 16 Old 02-17-2017, 05:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Received): 7
I think it depends on the average depth of your storms. If the great majority are a foot or less the Snowmaster will be fine and faster than a 2 stage. If most are 1-->1.5 feet then the 2 stage may be better....

1998 Toro 3000 GTS with Suzuki 47p 2 cycle
post #8 of 16 Old 02-17-2017, 05:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 11
Likes (Received): 26
2 Stage all the way ! But, I have never run a single-stage. I guess my decision would be based upon how much show you get at the EOD from the plow. Any snowblower can do a foot of regular snow, but it takes a "man" do handle the EOD stuff.
post #9 of 16 Old 02-18-2017, 05:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 1
In addition to the EOD issues you should also consider possible drifting problems on your property. Personally I would lean towards a 2 stage blower. A 2 stage blower is better at handling EOD and potential drifting issues.

Toro 828 LXE
post #10 of 16 Old 02-18-2017, 06:05 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Received): 11
check out some of the YouTube videos of the Snowmaster, seems "to punch well above it's weight" as they say
ultimatejimmy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page